Unknown oil filter brand 15k in service

Status
Not open for further replies.
Greetings,

I have learned a bunch of useful info on this site; I hope to be able to add a data point.
The below filter was in service for 8 months and 15k.
5k of which had PP Euro plat 5w-40 one can of Lubri Molly MOS2 added
5k with Castrol Edge syntec 5w-40 one can of Lubri Molly MOS2 added
5k with Rotella T6 5w-40 one can of Lubri Molly MOS2 added

I couldn't take the oil filter cartridge off; finally went tot a quick lube place and had them remove it and install a Mann filter.
Application:
2002 Volvo Cross Country 2.4 turbo LPT. Car currently has 190k

I am really impressed with how the filter held up, the engine does "tick" less...I presume due to not being in bypass mode.

Thanks for all of your help team.

Note: will add photos with the correct URL when I have access to my desktop.

Last edited:
Welcome to bitog!
welcome2.gif

How come it was left in service so long? I'm sure there are worse stories out there though.

Funds are limited as I am now a student.
The filter wrench's from eBay and my local Napa either didn't fit or were stripping the plastic material off of the cartridge cover ( plastic).
Instead of spending money on an expensive tool, I chose to change the oil with "the good stuff" that I have read about on these fine forums.
I also had a host of oil leaks ( turbo return seals) banjo bolts and washers, oil cooler gaskets; along with the bevel gear fluid and dif changed, transmission fluid-Toyota TIV all done (DIY)...I was using the car to carry family to the mountains.
Drive terrain is currently filled with Lubri Molly gear oil; so far the car seems to like it; I like that it's PAO and a quarter of the cost of OEM Volvo fluids....no analysis to back up my claim other than a happy wallet and quiet drive terrain not known for its robustness....Think I might add MOS2 for gears next time:)

Regarding the lack of removal of the oil filter...I was given some reassurance ( at least a sense of') that some manufactures-like Honda, recommend to change the filter every other oil change.
Now, the Quick Lube place has assured me that the housing is torqued to a much more manageable and DIY friendly 19lb.

A family member recently had the top end redone ( on warranty) for a Lexus IS250...which is how I discovered this site and the unicorn goodness that is TGMO.
Car lubricants are not to be taken lightly; though when funds are tight or the funds must be focused towards other repairs, this website gave me some useful data points to not feel so bad about leaving the filter in my xc' for so long.

Last edited:
You can use the cheap oil filter sockets I take a red rag an set it where it will be in between the oil filter and wrench so it fits tighter I've used this method in a jam where I don't have anything else and it's worked every time so far

I use oil filter end-cap wrench to remove the cartridge oil filter holder of 2006 Volvo V70 without problem. I think I bought Pennzoil brand I don't remember the size, I need to look for it in garage and will post the exact model number later.

The MB E430 has cartridge oil filter too, I used end-cap wrench for more than 10 years without problem.

The problem is each one has specific size so that I need more than 1 end-cap wrench.

http://email.photobucket.com/wf/click?up...vQBpjK6MC7AMBzL

Photos of the filter above.
Anyone able to shed some info as to the make of the filter.
Regarding the responses for future filter removal, I did NOT try any of those helpful tips;
Which I will do in the future.
The tech' that removed the oil filter cartridge told me that the filter was tightend down to 30lb plus...
Hopefully 19lb is more manageable for me!

Last edited:
First,
welcome2.gif

It's a Service Champ CF5315

The filter looks OK, held up well, but I'd recommend the Mann HU819x available on eBay for $6

Appreciate the welcome!
I have replaced the filter with the Mann part number you mentioned.
I was really concerned with the oil ( PCV on this car can be finicky); I have had three 850's prior to this XC'.
Make a solid engine that I am familiar with:)
Re filters; I prefer Mann filters to Mahle; mainly because of the issues I had wig start up tick ( relief valve pressure on the Mann was better liked by my previous 850's.
Also replaced the fuel filter with a Hengst!

Good job running HDEO's in this engine. I took over the service of my GF's S60 2.4t (used to go to the dealer for synthetic blend changes). I am on the 3rd oil change and am using Mobil 1's Euro 0w40. Right now at Walmart it's even cheaper than T6 per quart.

I use the Mahle filter in hers. No issues yet and also get them for about $6 each. They always come out looking nice.

I need to do an ATF change sometime in the near future. Did you do a drain and fill or cooler line flush?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back