Rustproofing Application - Professional vs Diy

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have had my truck sprayed twice so far at a Krown shop. They spray body panels well but brake lines, fuel lines etc dont get sprayed as well. It takes some effort to spray the brake lines where they go over the fuel tank. I use a mirror to see where they are, spray it and then use the mirror again to ensure that I have covered the lines well.

I have settled into a routine of getting the truck sprayed every other year at the shop. In between I spray the important items like brake lines and the ABS unit myself. My model truck is notorious for rusting brake lines and brake line replacement is a job I want to avoid if I can, especially with no access to a lift.

I dont expect the shop to get to the hidden brake lines but I am kind of disappointed that they did not spray the ABS unit under the truck well. You would think Krown training for their applicators would have emphasized that.

I was using a paint sprayer but it was producing too much fog. For brake lines you need a more concentrated application, so I ended up buying this rustproofing spray gun from Napa.

That is why I decided to buy the fancy sprayer. I can spray at will. Twice a year right now, trying to stay on top of it. Would not hurt to do a bit at tire rotation time either.

I use an electric latex paint sprayer to spray Fluid Film and I've been quite happy with the results.

I like the smaller nozzels on that Sprayer.
Can you supply us with the Part No. ? ? ?

I had my vehicle sprayed at a Collision Shop.
They used a thick oil/thin grease material.
It was thin enough to "creep" / thick enough to stay around.

If having someone spray it for you, it's best to watch them do it,
ask questions, and inspect 'before' lowering the lift.

Question: When you DIY, what are you spraying ? ? ?
I do my own now, and use Fluid Film.

Suggestion: When I bought my vehicle, I coated all the Brake Lines with Never-Seize. It's still on today and no rust (although I suspect the lines may be some rust-resistant material).

Larry, here is the gun, with all the part numbers
http://www.arslanauto.com/auto/sect/20/20-HSD73K.shtml

The longer nozzle, with the handle, is actually 3/16 brake line tubing that I bent into shape and formed the end into a rectangle on the vise. The knurled handle came with the kit when I bought it.

I bought a gallon of Krown and a gallon of rustproofing oil from CarQuest a couple of years ago and that is what I have been using.

At the shop there is a big glass window through which you can watch your vehicle being treated but I get the impression they dont want customers in the work area. Instead of kicking up a fuss about missed areas, I find it easier to spray the missed areas myself. I pay $110 to get the truck sprayed and I feel I get value for the money even with missed areas.

I went to Krown once & was disappointed. They didn't even drop the spare tire from under the bed of the truck to get the crossmember it mounts against. Then I bought a Fluid film kit including their spray gun & DIY...

Last edited:
The spare tire hoist cable - very important. My friend Steve had a 1997 Savana 3500 and the cable rusted right through and the spare tire actually fell off on to the road. Luckily he noticed and retrieved the wheel. I had to install a new hoist assembly for him since the cable does not come separately. That van was never sprayed.

That cable on my truck is one of the items I spray myself a couple of times a year to ensure it does not rust. GM upgraded the hoist mechanism and if the cable ever breaks on my truck there is a spring loaded tongue that flips out and hangs on to the wheel, preventing it from falling on to the road.

George7941,

I don't know the Viscosity of what your using.
If you think it's to thin (as an oil), look into using Fluid Film.
Comes in Gallon and Aerosol.
For my vehicle and my time & effort, it's the best approach.
My Ranger is 13 years old and no rust.

On my vehicle, between what the Collision Shop sprayed, and me using Fluid Film,
now all I do is look for any 'dry' spots (just before Winter).

13 years and no rust in New York state is pretty good. I plan on keeping my truck till it is about 17 years old (2023) by which time I expect it to start rusting badly. We shall see.

I asked the Krown guy why they didn't spray my steel rims (I had removed the plastic hub caps before hand). He said we don't spray near the brakes as the overspray could reduce brake friction but if I removed the wheels he would gladly spray them.

Everything else appeared well soaked.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back