Old Glory on a utility pole

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yesterday I bought an American flag and mounted it on a utility pole in my front yard. I drilled pilot holes for the bracket and mounted it about 8 feet up the pole for independence day. I will take it down after the 4th of July weekend. It sure looks good and lets passersby know my allegiance. My wife held the ladder for me and commented that she hoped we didn't get in trouble for doing it. I told her that Fox news would come to our aid if we did. Sadly I wont be surprised if the utility company pays us a visit, but for now she sure looks good in front of my house. We'll see what happens.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Bluestream
It could set a bad president if they allow that

Say WUUUUTTTT?
crazy.gif

For safety reasons, I'm sure they don't want people climbing their property.
Agreed.

I work for a large telecom. We we don't own any poles, but I know the power and phone companies can get kind of cranky about that sort of thing. "Lost cat" flyers are one thing, but attaching something substantial, like a flag or a basketball hoop, can be an issue so don't be surprised if it's removed.

I do display Old Glory above my garage door year round. I see small American flags on mailboxes this time of year as well.

If its a utility pole on your land most likely nothing will be done.

If its a roadside pole... that's a bad idea. Just put up your own flagpole and lights?

Originally Posted By: whip
Also, a flag flown at night is supposed to be properly lit.

Yes, that is Federal law

We have a 3x5 woven flag that flies year-around at our house. It's mounted to one of the porch columns and is sufficiently lit by the coach lights. The only time I take it down is if we get a big storm rolling through so the mount doesn't get ripped off.

Originally Posted By: gman2304
Yesterday I bought an American flag and mounted it on a utility pole in my front yard. I drilled pilot holes for the bracket and mounted it about 8 feet up the pole for independence day. I will take it down after the 4th of July weekend. It sure looks good and lets passersby know my allegiance. My wife held the ladder for me and commented that she hoped we didn't get in trouble for doing it. I told her that Fox news would come to our aid if we did. Sadly I wont be surprised if the utility company pays us a visit, but for now she sure looks good in front of my house. We'll see what happens.

I am always glad to see someone fly the flag. Seems to be no respect for our country anymore so when someone shows some I applaud it.

With that said, find another place to mount and fly the colors. You will get in trouble with the utility company when they see the flag there. It is a no-no. They might take it down and you would lose it as well.

And don't forget to take it down at night unless it is illuminated.

Last edited:
Our hydro guys didn't mind me putting up a ladder tree stand on a pole on our property. It was out of sight of the road, but they did go by it once marking trees to be cleared out of the easement.

Originally Posted By: whip
Also, a flag flown at night is supposed to be properly lit.

I learned so much about flag etiquette and procedure from my grandfather a World War II Air Corps veteran on b17's.

Enough that I never wanted to put my own up due to work related to "respect" he taught me for it. Most people are lazy IMHO with them.

Originally Posted By: Doog
For safety reasons, I'm sure they don't want people climbing their property. It could set a bad president if they allow that

We already have a bad President....
crackmeup2.gif
crackmeup2.gif

Lol!!!

UC IRVINE STUDENT: US FLAG BANNED TO AVOID ‘TRIGGERING’ HURT FEELINGS AMONG ILLEGALS

American flag banned.

California officials stated that Americans must adapt to the illegals because they have right and we must honor those rights.

My neighbor's son was expelled from UCI for the day because he was wearing an American Flag pin on his shirt lapel. He transferred to another university.

We are living in an insane asylum and the politicians are the gate keepers. And worst of all we enabled them.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
UC IRVINE STUDENT: US FLAG BANNED TO AVOID ‘TRIGGERING’ HURT FEELINGS AMONG ILLEGALS

American flag banned.

California officials stated that Americans must adapt to the illegals because they have right and we must honor those rights.

My neighbor's son was expelled from UCI for the day because he was wearing an American Flag pin on his shirt lapel. He transferred to another university.

We are living in an insane asylum and the politicians are the gate keepers. And worst of all we enabled them.

FUD!

Did you read this?:
She then said she believed a major line of reasoning behind the legislation to remove the flag could have been a “precautionary step” to prevent a trigger situation where if someone is an “illegal citizen or [they] have citizenship issues, it makes them feel bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back