A question about 1960 M/C syn oils?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CT8

My first motorcycle was a 1967 Yamaha AS1C 125 twin. Being 15 years old I found the Yamaha with auto lube would foul the plugs and then with hard use melt the piston I found out a twin was nice because I could limp home on 1 cylinder. As a teen I went to the next range colder spark plug and then went to richer jetting, then figured out this syn oil called Steen C chemical lubricant would end the spark plus fouling and all the other adjustments allow endless operation at wot which was 9500 or 10,000 RPM an about 70 or 75 mph on the freeway. Anyway does any body know exactly what steed C base oil was? Old people?

I am am old person as well thanks,,I looked up the link when my thoughts were stirred up during a conversation about the good old days of the 2 stroke motor cycles.

Being one of the "Old Persons" (pushing 81) I'd like to remind you kids (anybody under 70) that back in the old days, 60's, 70's, most of us had never heard of synthetic oil. Really wasn't any to speak of. Or "Motorcycle" oil either. We used whatever brand of auto oil we wanted, Castrol being a favorite. Rode lots of Japanese bikes during those years and never had a clutch to slip.
Some were dry clutches of course, the British, German, Italian, but most Japanese were, I think, (memory sometimes fails) wet clutches. Then the oil companies found that they could put a Motorcycle label on and charge triple and thats what most of us now use, this Old Person included, who bought into the notion that they are better.

Ride on boys and girls and enjoy life.

I never heard of that oil before. I've been riding bikes since 1973 no two strokes only 4 stroke street bikes. It was an interesting story tho. Funny thing is everybody claims to be the first to make and sell synthetic oil. If you do a google search everybody says they were the first. I've tried several brands of synthetic oil and never found the extra cost and no noticeable difference in performance, a reason to justify using it over regular oil. To each his own.,,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back