Toyota 1ZZfe eating oil

Status
Not open for further replies.

MAQ

Hi,

My car's engine (1zzfe) eats oil 100ml/80km estimated.

By reading different forums I've come to a point; that this engine has built-in problem of oil-eating after doing milage of above 50,000/-

Some say that it has problem with dip-stick - and you need to add extra '10mm' on dip-stick to reduce/nullify oil consumption and some day it really doesn't matter.

Can anyone of you have close experience of this problem and finalized any resolution???

I was born in Lahore!

What year is this 1zz-fe? that way I can understand the oil burning situation better

I have done 31 1zz-fe engine rebuild with success so far.

Problem: lack of oil return holes.

Solution: drill additional onto the original piston, cleaning it Chem-Dip, it works best between 70-100F, install new rings and valve seals, and your issue should be solved. I have even seen the 05-08 1zz-fes with clogged oil return holes, which to my understanding would also be the quality of oil being used/lack of oil change.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 01_celica_gt
I was born in Lahore!

What year is this 1zz-fe? that way I can understand the oil burning situation better

Solution: drill additional onto the original piston, cleaning it Chem-Dip, it works best between 70-100F, install new rings and valve seals, and your issue should be solved. I have even seen the 05-08 1zz-fes with clogged oil return holes, which to my understanding would also be the quality of oil being used/lack of oil change.

Nice to know your birthplace smile and you've done a lot rebuilds too

My Car Engine year is 2007. / Can you share how many additional holes/piston and what diameter hole should have?

Make sure your PCV system is functioning. Try a high quality synthetic oil, perhaps a diesel grade oil in the proper grade for your climate, which may help clean oil passages. If the oil return holes in the heads are plugged with degraded oil you will have to deal with that problem as well. The Toyota V6 is a well made engine and earlier versions have gone hundreds of thousands of miles with ordinary care. I'd also ask the dealer if there are any bulletins from Toyota on oil consumption problems related to the later versions of the V6.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Try a high quality synthetic oil, perhaps a diesel grade oil in the proper grade for your climate,

I would skip any "Diesel oil" perhaps a dual rated fleet oil would be an option however.

(yes there is diesel only oil out there)

sounds like you might have to do some rebuilding work to really fix the issue.

Converted to english measurement you are using 1liter per 500miles?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: MAQ
I was born in Lahore!

Nice to know your birthplace smile and you've done a lot rebuilds too

My Car Engine year is 2007. / Can you share how many additional holes/piston and what diameter hole should have?

IMG_0087.jpg

Actually I would go a smaller diameter than the ones pictured. Double the number of holes already there. Go with smaller diameter, you just want to boost the oil control ring supply a little, that's all. Don't overdo it. Toyota ALMOST drilled enough holes already!

What oil is available in LaHore? Any synthetic oil should do, if its at least an ACEA A1 oil. I'm assuming LaHore uses European standards mostly.

Start using a 1/2 quart of Rislone with each oil fill and top off with the Rislone 50-50 with oil as you go. Oh wait you are in Pakistan....do a rebuild.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Rand
Try a high quality synthetic oil, perhaps a diesel grade oil in the proper grade for your climate,

I would skip any "Diesel oil" perhaps a dual rated fleet oil would be an option however.

I suspect that he can get a Rotella T6 type of multiuse oil in his country.

Originally Posted By: Rand

Yes

07 already has the issue fixed, the quality of oil available is the issue, where he is located

Take out the piston and clean it up using chem dip, re-ring, if it already has 8 oil return holes then a simple clean up will do, then from there on use the highest quality oil that is available to you.

Another big issue where you are would be the dusty condition, l think you need a used oil analysis to determine the silicone content and also to see if the oil being used is serviceable or not.

07 already has the issue fixed, the quality of oil available is the issue, where he is located

Take out the piston and clean it up using chem dip, re-ring, if it already has 8 oil return holes then a simple clean up will do, then from there on use the highest quality oil that is available to you.

Another big issue where you are would be the dusty condition, l think you need a used oil analysis to determine the silicone content and also to see if the oil being used is serviceable or not.

Thanks

MAQ, cheapest and easiest thing to try first is an engine flush. Take a liter of kerosene or diesel fuel and put it in with the oil, start the engine and idle the engine for 6 minutes. Then dump it all out and put in fresh new oil.

Originally Posted By: MAQ

I however use 20w-50 Oil as someone told that it burns less

I would go to the recommended viscosity oil and see what happens. Thick may be working against you here.

This is EXACTLY the situation where going to a heavier oil can and often does produce exactly the opposite result of what you might expect. Heavier oil is harder for the oil control ring to scrape off the cylinder wall, and harder for the ring-groove holes to adequately vent back to the underside of the piston. Going to thicker oil may cause the oil control ring ride over a thicker film of oil on the cylinder wall once the ring groove is choked with oil trying to get back to the inside of the piston, and as a result more gets left on the wall, more gets past the compression rings, and more gets burned.

2006 Toyota Corolla / 1zzfe here. I run AMSOIL HDD 5w30 (dual rated) in my Corolla. AMSOIL may not be an option for you, but a good dual rated (if you can get it) HDD is certainly in order here IMHO.

Please use the below link to check out a past UOA of mine. BLUF: 11,807 miles OCI consisting of 5 days a week-- 45 minutes (stop/go) to go 9 miles twice a day and two long highway drives of 168 miles each on weekends. Synthetic media filter. 8 ounces added during OCI - ~143,000 miles at the time on unit.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3381981/Re:_AMSOIL_HDD_-_11,807_miles_

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: phenix78_99
2006 Toyota Corolla / 1zzfe here. I run AMSOIL HDD 5w30 (dual rated) in my Corolla. AMSOIL may not be an option for you, but a good dual rated (if you can get it) HDD is certainly in order here IMHO..

The picture MAQ showed of LiquiMoly motor oils means he maybe could get a good synthetic in that brand anyway. Maybe too expensive. There was a guy in Malaysia who could get Amsoil though, so its surprising what gets around to every corner of the world.

phenix78... Any oil performs very well in those Toyota engines of yours. You happened to have a diesel oil in there, but many UOAs of Toyotas have shown its hard to go wrong to get low wear. I assume you got low wear, but the UOA of yours would not show up, old link I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back