Generator starts, won't run

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently picked up a welder/generator powered by a Honda GX620. It's electric start. If I pour some gas into the carburetor, it will start, and run until the gas dries up. I've done this enough times that it should run if it's going to. It has two fuel filters, the lower one definitely flows, and the upper one looks good (they're clear), but I haven't disconnected it yet.

After I check the upper fuel filter (which I'm sure is good), then what?

In my experience with the same motor, the emulsion tube that the low speed jet is screwed into plugs up with residue, after gas is left sitting in the carb.

You can try draining the carb (There is a drain screw for that purpose) and fill the carb with carb cleaner through the fuel line, and let it soak. But I only have had clear success by removing the float bowl, and the emulsion tube/low speed jet, and clean it with spray carb cleaner. Try to resist using wire to clear the holes. Patience is your friend.

In the future, shut down by turn off the gas, and letting it run until it dies. Then, open the drain screw on the float bowl, draining out what is left. Retighten the screw, and all will be good, next time you fire it.

Originally Posted By: Stelth
If I pour some gas into the carburetor, it will start, and run until the gas dries up.

That's the dead giveaway right there: it runs on the fuel you give it but the carburetor is not able to provide fuel on its own. You need to remove the carburetor, disassemble it, and clean it out.

Did you check to see if the fuel shutoff is well, Off?
Just asking!
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Char Baby
Just asking!
smile.gif

Yah went through that just this afternoon.
blush.gif
Dump the fuel. Start with fresh. I would try shooting carb cleaner down the carb in spritzes until the carb clears out and the engine runs on its own. I also dose the fuel with some Chem-Tool. I try this before tearing the carb down. It works more times than it fails for me.

OK. I took the carb out, took the float bowl off, float was moving fine. I shot carb cleaner through every part of it I could see. I also found an open vacuum port behind the throttle plate and plugged it up. Put it all back together and no dice.

I'm sure I missed something - after all, carburetors have always been a mystery to me. I can fix a lot of stuff, but I've never had good luck with carbs.

You didn't take it apart enough. Look at this diagram and shoot carb cleaner through the holes in #13, #14, and #27. Sometimes if the holes are blocked with corrosion, you gotta run wire through them.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
You didn't take it apart enough. Look at this diagram and shoot carb cleaner through the holes in #13, #14, and #27. Sometimes if the holes are blocked with corrosion, you gotta run wire through them.

Looks like a job for tomorrow. Thanks for the visual assistance. I hate carburetors.

Originally Posted By: Char Baby
Just asking!
smile.gif

Guilty as charged 3X with my B&S generator
33.gif
. First panic sets in then you realize you're just a dumb a**
grin2.gif

Whimsey

I've made that mistake with my other generator, but since it usually starts on the first or second pull, I remember to check it after three or four.

This one doesn't seem to have a shut-off valve, and gasoline flows freely when I disconnect a fuel line.

OK, I took the carb apart, and cleaned all that stuff. The tube with the teensy holes was clean enough that when I squirted carb cleaner into it, it shot out of all the little holes. I put it all back together, and it still doesn't want to work. When I take it apart, there's fuel in the bowl, and I can see that the float and valve are free, so I don't know what the problem could be.

I took a fuel line loose and cranked the engine, and fuel came blurping out, so it seems to be pumping.

What should I look at next?

While waiting for you guys to make a suggestion, I visited some other boards (yes, Virginia...), and somebody mentioned that the fuel cut-off solenoids in the bottom of these carburetors go bad. I took the solenoid out, cut the end off of the pin, and re-installed it. Bingo. Started immediately, and runs smooth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back