So I converted a car to E85 today

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Originally Posted By: turtlevette

Lots of cars at the track go boom. Talk about a huge chip on your shoulder because of politics.

I just can't bring myself to believe you or Steve have been around any hotrods within the last 50 years.

Haven't you figured out yet that your personal opinions are irrelevant yet? Who cares what you think? Certainly not myself or Clevy, we can speak for ourselves.

I am not a bolt on guy, I learned the hard way to build the motor first, then mod. The reason? It costs more to do "shade tree" mods like this when thinks take a dump on you. But yet folks like yourself think a jerry rigged booster pump and rip off a converter and you're all ready to go.

Keep talking, a lot of us are very entertained by your inflammatory comments. But remember, your criticism means little here as there is zero credibility involved...

That's the big one right there. 0 credibility whatsoever.

ole turt is a very lonely person. That is painfully obvious. And sad. Yet to alleviate that loneliness he comes here just to talk. Because that's all it is. Talk.

My bet is he doesn't even own that car. Must be his uncles.
An early 80s gm sports car. Real fast.
Or not.
Piece of junk. Hack built. Wires hanging out all over.
Really cool.
Can I get a thumbs up.

Quote:

I've forgotten more about tuning than you'll ever know.

Yet all we get from you guys is blah,blah blah. 30k posts and 10 years and not one Pict of yourself or any car at all.

True internet bsers

He's baiting and taunting you guy's all day long. Not sure how he gets away with it. I would have struck him with the ban hammer by now.

Originally Posted By: turtlevette
Quote:

I've forgotten more about tuning than you'll ever know.

Yet all we get from you guys is blah,blah blah. 30k posts and 10 years and not one Pict of yourself or any car at all.

True internet bsers

You hardly matter at all. Who cares what you think? Not me. I don't need to prove anything to the likes of you...

It is fairly to tell those that know and compared to those that think they know.

The op has already responded to the anti ethanol naysayers with the fact that his engine is not running lean and that he has run the kit many miles with zero problems. End of story.

Originally Posted By: TiredTrucker
Originally Posted By: bigt61
Yeah, the engine runs cleaner on ethanol. But making the ethanol destroys and pollutes the environment. Making corn more expensive causes more starvation worldwide and higher food prices in the US. Meanwhile, oil is so cheap and abundant, people are leaving it in the ground until the price goes up.

What was the price of corn 20 years ago and what is the market price of corn today? Hint.. almost the same. All you have to do is a quick search on commodity prices on the commodity exchange. Sure, there have been spikes up and down here and there over the years, but corn has remained relatively consistent and low in price. Which means there is plenty of corn to go around. Especially when one factors in that the dollar has lost about 30% of its value over the same 20 years. That makes corn actually cheaper today, relative to the mid 90's.

Corn price June 1995 settled at $2.80 a bushel

Corn price June 2015, on Friday's market close, $3.55 a bushel at the grain elevator near me. But that includes their small mark up and the corn checkoff fee per bushel. When we factor those out, Corn is pretty close to 1995 price.

No, using corn to make ethanol does not cause more starvation. There is plenty of corn to go around. The only problem with people starving is governments not allowing their people access to food. More food rots in storage and on docks because it is not allowed to be distributed to people who need it. Or, those governments impose such punishing tariffs on food that is imported that the average folks can't afford it. At least put the blame where it deserves to be.

While the Food vs. Fuel debate is valid, asking at your local gas station where the ethanol comes from today is definitively worth it, often they can hand you a flyer with more informations.

Turned out my car runs on what are pretty much the leftovers of high-protein animal feed production, made from the leftovers of beet sugar production and some form of wheat.

tmPzJMr.png

...and today it might as well be running on corn, but the gas station didn't have any information nor website about it.

Anyways I've driven about 500 miles with the car, still runs great.

Ethanol cleans out all the gunk and the consensus is that you should replace the fuel filter after a couple of tanks. There you go.

j9TpkvO.jpg

And that's pretty much it.

Originally Posted By: JohnnyMerrill

The kits sold in the US are made in China and not that great, especially the older ones with the fuel selector button.

The Swedish boxes cost about the same as the Chinese ones but are state-of-the-art and work very, very well for lots of people. The only other quality product I'm aware of is made by Tury in Brazil, but I couldn't find a shop that ships abroad.

Maybe I should clarify. The boxes came out around 2006 and at that time, they were great.

The problem is that they stayed the same until now while the Swedish boxes were converted to automatic operation via the oxygen sensor and a temperature sensor, and they cost, shipped to the US, 1/2 as much.

I've read this thread on BITOG the other day:
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3725980/eFlexFuel

The thing comes with a GM ethanol sensor and connects to an Android phone via bluetooth and still costs $75 less than the US one which essentially simulates 14% bigger injectors. And $450 buy you a lot of 14% bigger injectors.

Maybe it's time someone makes a new and even greater one, Proudly Made in Illinois or something?

Right, but actually, folks need to not ride the Cattle wagon so much. Some of the ethanol plant produced feed products do go to cattle producers, but most of the feed products created from ethanol production go to swine and poultry producers. I haul a LOT of feed products from ethanol plants to poultry and egg producers. Iowa, the largest producer of corn, and thereby, the largest number of ethanol plants, also is the largest producer of pork and eggs in the country. Nice match up.

And this is also why we export a lot of ethanol plant derived feeds to places like Vietnam. They raise a lot of pork and poultry. More so than cattle. And they LOVE the ethanol plant derived feed products. They have sent delegations to Iowa to negotiate larger contracts for these feed products.

And the meat produced is nutritionally inferior, rubbish fatty acid profile.

But as you say TT, there's serious money to be made, so follow the money, regardless of what's right.

That is more about the breed of hogs being produced. Heritage breeds still are nice and tasty. You are correct, it is all about the money. It takes more time and effort to raise the traditional hog breeds. Feed mixtures are not that much different, but when you have hogs that are bred for mass production and high volume, quality takes a hit.

the only thing between my saabs and e85 is ecu mapping. Alot of saab tuners go to e85 in the summer for bigger grins. No hardware changes necessary at all (but they usually have quite a few). Also afaik and iirc the usa is one of the only countries who produces ethanol from corn.. and to a certain extent bumping fuel pressure can help but your not going to get much (youll need a bigger regulator) and usually the pattern takes a [censored] then you need larger injectors.

Originally Posted By: Superflop
the only thing between my saabs and e85 is ecu mapping. Alot of saab tuners go to e85 in the summer for bigger grins. No hardware changes necessary at all (but they usually have quite a few). Also afaik and iirc the usa is one of the only countries who produces ethanol from corn.. and to a certain extent bumping fuel pressure can help but your not going to get much (youll need a bigger regulator) and usually the pattern takes a [censored] then you need larger injectors.

Must be small engines them if you did t need more fuel and larger fuel lines.
Every car I've seen running e-85 has significantly bigger fuel lines and larger volume oil pumps.
All are either 8 cylinder engines or boosted smaller ones.
Timing is the biggest adjustment and re-mapping the fuel trims. And the ideal a/f ratio is also different. Iirc e-85 is much richer.
E-85 is great stuff and awesome in engines. I'd use it all the time if it was cost effective and cost me less per mile than gasoline.
Ultimately I don't care if it's e-85,gasoline,hydrogen or canola oil. It's all about cost per mile for me.
If I had a dedicated track car(my Capri in a couple years) it'll be running e-85. Cooler combustion temps. Never overheat as I wait to stage and way more power potential with less chance of breaking something.

The fuel system like a few things on these saabs is quite robust the stock bottom end on this 2.3l is good for roughly 500 hp and the stock fuel system can handle roughly 260-280 hp. Im 185hp stock. Also it is turbocharged. And i agree with you on fuel types.

Originally Posted By: Clevy
Originally Posted By: Superflop

Must be small engines them if you did t need more fuel and larger fuel lines.
Every car I've seen running e-85 has significantly bigger fuel lines and larger volume oil pumps.

Are you and Steve still saying you need bigger fuel lines? Despite being told time after time by multiple people that's its not true.

I think the cars (and trucks) Clevy is referring to is stripped down converted domestics pressed into racing duty. Drag, oval, off-road etc.
Most of those vehicles came stock with 5/16" or at best 3/8ths fuel lines that snaked around 10 feet of Detroit's best.
"I put a 650HP BBC in my 76 Camaro and I still can't get into the 14s".
I have a question for you guys. I have several old SBCs and BBCs that are between 10:1 and 11:1 compression, all in very good shape gathering dust and wasp nests since I removed from scrapped LPG fuelled vehicles. I have Holley and Carter AFBs out my ying-yang. Would E85 work in these engines and would I have to use special fuel pumps, fuel lines and needles and seats in the carbs? These engines when new had around 185 cranking psi.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
And the meat produced is nutritionally inferior, rubbish fatty acid profile.

But as you say TT, there's serious money to be made, so follow the money, regardless of what's right.

then grow your own or go vegan.

America is a corn nation. Practically everything in the grocery store was either fed, raised on or has corn in it.
Here are the shirt button popping facts. Search USA domestic corn and swine meat consumption on www.indexmundi.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back