Engine noise

Status
Not open for further replies.
Test drove a car tonight. Car had decent power; no ping under accel. However, by lark I found a noise under decel: after I was on it, then let it decel--so higher revs, lots of engine vacuum--I heard something rapping. It did not do under all decel, and seemed to only do it after some hardish acceleration. I was on a quick test drive so I wasn't going to keep doing this and fully know when it would make the noise.

Now, this was an infamous 1zz-fe which the seller did admit to some oil usage; and the tailpipe was quite sooty. I would think during decel it would be in fuel cutoff, so not pinging; but I'm not sure what it could be. Piston slap should be constant I'd think, and it did not slap at idle. Could it be getting oil to ignite during decel? Thus indicating stuck rings?

That's a whole lot of imagining things going on with no evidence or facts.

My "oil burner" 2015 forester uses no oil and has an extremely sooty tailpipe.

That is good to know.

Doesn't explain the noise I heard though. I did some searching and it might be rod knock, or convertor bolts, or... not sure.

That noise was the "I'll see ya later knock"
grin2.gif

15.gif
57.gif
45.gif

I think my subaru does the same thing you describe, and I always thought it had to do with being a PZEV car. My noise sounds like air moving/wooshing very rapidly, it almost sounds as if exhaust gases are recirculating, I'm not sure. Maybe I'll try to get an audio or video clip sometime, but my car has always done it and is still going strong at 175k.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back