2016 Honda Pilot vs 2015 Dodge Durango

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello BITOG --

My brother has narrowed his choices for the new 3-row SUV to these two. (The '16 Dodge isn't out yet)

Wanted to solicit opinions, fact, conjecture, comparisons, reviews and any other BITOG level analysis from anyone that has experience with these vehicles, or just has heard something about them.

It's established that you probably can't go wrong with Honda, and my brother is leaning that way. But the Dodge has great reviews from all over, so he and the wife have decided to do their comparison.

They're going with the AWD option, and likely the 6 cylinder in the Dodge. They have sat in both, and they're planning to take a longish test drive in each one in the next couple of weeks, loading the 2 kids and enough stuff for a weekend to test out the fit, ergonomics, etc.

Any input would be appreciated and thanks in advance.

(They've eliminated all the other 3 row SUVs for one reason or another)

Last edited:
The Pilot is probably Honda's least reliable offering, about in line with that Durango. Honda will be worth more for resale, other than that take whichever drive you like more.

Are they even making a 2016 Durango - is the 2015 the last model being produced or will the 2016 MY be it?

How has the discontinuing of a model affected resale? If that's important, it's worth considering.

who has the better warranty? Honda is not so reliable these days.. The Civic and the accord are the exception those two are great cars

Last Years Pilot got a 71 at CR this years Durango got an 83.
Warranty looks similar.

Pilot is brand New.

One thing I've learned over the past 18 years of car ownership, is don't buy a big heavy van or SUV built on a car frame!!! I would never buy a Honda Pilot or Honda Oddessy. I would never buy a Dodge Durango either. The components on these vehicles are STRESSED to the max by the weight of these heavy things.

I'm in the market for a full size SUV/van and I'm only considering a one built on a truck frame with truck suspension, truck steering, truck brakes, truck transmission, and truck engine. I'm a Chevy guy, so I need to decide between a Chevy Express van (12 passenger) or a Suburban. Perhaps a Yukon/Tahoe.

Now, if you are all about "styling" and not about function and longevity, then buy a Durango or Pilot, and trade it in every 3-4 years around the 50-60k mile mark.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
who has the better warranty? Honda is not so reliable these days.. The Civic and the accord are the exception those two are great cars

And Dodge/Chrysler has never been reliable. So I guess it's a case of "They both suck so pick which one you like". Or look elsewhere.

That is really spot on. Also the handling on SUVs built on a car frame is very poor. SUV should equal truck frame, tire, etc.

I rented a 2015 Durango in the Phoenix area. Was pleasantly surprised by its capabilities! Spent quiet a bit of time on some un-improved back roads and interstate highways. Smooth, quiet and comfortable, and this vehicle was showing over 57,000 miles.

The 2016 Pilot will be a brand new design, right? I like the Current generation Pilot. I'd get that over a Durango in an instant.

Originally Posted By: bbhero
That is really spot on. Also the handling on SUVs built on a car frame is very poor. SUV should equal truck frame, tire, etc.

Unibody doesn't mean car based in the case of either vehicle.

The old Ram Vans that were built well were a unibody vehicle.

Backwards. Smaller SUVs are built NOT on a "car frame" but a UNIBODY, which is frameless, and better handling results.
The last body on frame CAR sold here in any numbers was the Crown Vic. Trucks generally use body on frame construction, the Pilot is one of the exceptions since it has a unibody built especially for it. Frames twist, the unibody, when properly designed, twist a whole lot less.

My wife's 2006 Pilot has way better handling than my mom's 2005 Tahoe. The Tahoe has lots of body roll. What two vehicles are you comparing?

Our Pilot has been very reliable. The only two items requiring repair was an o2 sensor and the battery.

I chuckle at some of the comments in this thread.

A 2016 Pilot will handle very capably, as does a current generation Durango. My folks have a 2014 MDX, which is the platform on which the 2016 Pilot is based. I know full well that the suspension will be tuned differently between those two vehicles, but I think that if you drive one, you'll be quite pleased. The MDX hustles through a corner like no 4,500# SUV should be able to do. It's quite remarkable, in fact.

Durability should be good on either one. I don't own a Durango, so I can't comment on that, but I own a 2005 MDX, which was the first generation for both the MDX and the Pilot. It's sitting at 123,000 miles now and I think durability has been excellent. Especially in the suspension/chassis department. Struts and shocks are original. Sway bar bushings and end links are original. All bushings are original. The ride is smooth and quiet. It could probably use struts/shocks due to them having 123k miles on them, but they're not leaking or rattling.

The Pilot will have the "next generation" VCM system. I'd keep the oil changed with the recommended 0W-20 at 5,000 mile intervals and not think twice about it. My folks' MDX has this same system, and you just can't feel the transition between "all cylinders" and "some cylinders".

A unibody chassis will handle much much better than any frame chassis. That's not even a debate.

The 2016 durango will not receive any major changes. Little stuff like stereo, colors, etc.

The durango will get a update in 2017 IIRC.

The current gen durango 2011-2016, is the same chassis as the Mercedes GL chassis, as Mercedes designed it. It's an excellent safe chassis. The V6 model is rated to tow 6200lbs. It goes to 7400lbs with the V8 engine. Highest in it class. It has an extremely tight turning radius for a vehicle that has a longer wheelbase than a Ford Expedition. The Pentastar V6 is a proven engine with good power and good mpg. I have had no issues at all with the 8sp auto trans, though if you do some digging online a few have had their trans replaced under warranty. Not an alarming amount though.

We bought a 2014 Durango last year. We have just under 20k miles on it. We spent 6 months researching and test driving all 3 row, and some 2 row SUV in this class. For us, on paper and in real world driving, this was the best choice for our family. When we started searching, I had the Durango low on the list just because of the Dodge name. But after giving it a fair chance, it was clearly without a doubt the best for us.
We had the Toyota Highlander in second place.

The new style Honda Pilot was not released yet. So I know nothing about the 2016 pilot, but we didn't like the 2014 pilot at all. Just from looking at pictures of the 2016 pilot, we aren't liking the styling on that one either. But everybody has different likes in appearances.

I'm not saying the Durango is the best out there, I'm just saying it was the best fit for my family.
Let me know if you have an questions about it.

Last edited:
The 2016 Pilot is a brand new vehicle and massive improvement IMHO over previous generation.

Not much can really be inferred from previous 2009-2015 Pilot. Little is shared except the lower models have similar 6 speed auto. The motor differs in terms of now having direct injection and 30HP boost with improved MPG.

To say reliability will be good or bad is even too early. People stating that on this board are talking out of their rears.

the new pilot looks like it will cannibalize odyssey sales, it is very close to coming full circle to looking exactly like a minivan again.

that said, buy a minivan and don't waste your money on a stupid compromise-utility-vehicle.

Originally Posted By: cptbarkey

that said, buy a minivan and don't waste your money on a stupid compromise-utility-vehicle.

I concur in your locale however in northern climates winter tires help on minivans but still don't work great in loaded and poor road conditions with FWD or Toyota's cruddy AWD system in Sienna. My observations with parents who use them with 5-7 people and ski every weekend like we do.

Originally Posted By: rjundi
Originally Posted By: cptbarkey

I concur in your locale however in northern climates winter tires help on minivans but still don't work great in loaded and poor road conditions with FWD or Toyota's cruddy AWD system in Sienna. My observations with parents who use them with 5-7 people and ski every weekend like we do.

the only thing i would add is the dodge caravan is one of the highest selling vehicles in canada. not sure what inference to make from that except they must manage quite well.

Highest selling usually means the cheapest.

When I said the Pilot and Durango were built on "car frame"...that's what I meant, they were unibody's. There is nothing "wrong" with that, except I prefer the more heavy duty nature of a real body on frame found on most trucks.

If you want 3 row seating just for hauling kids arounds....a unibody SUV will suit you just fine.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back