1947 90wt gear oil substitute

Status
Not open for further replies.
1947 dodge power wagon shop manual calls for a "90wt oil" for the front and rear differentials what would be a good modern equivalent ? This is a 1 ton rated truck with a 6300lb curb weight and factory 5.83 gears, thanks Paul.

That would have been a gl1 oil.today's gl4,5,6 oils are much better. If it calls for the same in the trans a new spec oil may be a bad idea. A 50 wt motor oil may be a better choice for the trans.

Originally Posted By: preaction
1947 dodge power wagon shop manual calls for a "90wt oil" for the front and rear differentials what would be a good modern equivalent ? This is a 1 ton rated truck with a 6300lb curb weight and factory 5.83 gears, thanks Paul.

The Dodge Power Wagon Forum . Those guys know Power Wagons inside and out.

Unless modern seals have been installed it would be best to stay with a mineral base 80W90.

Last edited:
Do the diffs have any yellow metals? There is a concern w/ GL5 lubricants and yellow metal corrosion at high temps. I would look for a GL4 conventional or, if you want the benefits of a syn, look for one that indicates the use of non-corrosive additives such as Redline (which I run in my old Land Rover diffs after talking to their tech desk). Check w/ the manufacturers.

Originally Posted By: wings&wheels
Do the diffs have any yellow metals? There is a concern w/ GL5 lubricants and yellow metal corrosion at high temps. I would look for a GL4 conventional or, if you want the benefits of a syn, look for one that indicates the use of non-corrosive additives such as Redline (which I run in my old Land Rover diffs after talking to their tech desk). Check w/ the manufacturers.

If he does need a conventional GL-4 oil, NAPA sells Sta-lube 85w90 GL-4.

"90wt" is only a viscosity, you really need some sort of performance specification to select a suitable product. Even if it said "SAE 90 EP" you could probably safely assume a GL-5 would be OK. Is it a Hypoid gear set?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: wings&wheels

There is a Bakelite thrust washer (actually 2) for the side gears which may have been replaced with a bronze item in a rebuild since the Bakelite tends to break.

Charlie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back