6 adults + 2 child seats in a minivan?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I may need to rent a vehicle that can carry 6 adults and two small children (in car seats). Will a minivan work? If so, which one(s) specifically?

Some Siennas have 8-passenger seating, but you'd have to check with the rental agency. But most likely, you'll need a full-size van.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
I may need to rent a vehicle that can carry 6 adults and two small children (in car seats). Will a minivan work? If so, which one(s) specifically?

Uh no. We have a Town and Country. We can realistically fit 4 adults and 2 kids/car seats. You will need a full-size van or two cars.

Originally Posted By: Doog
Originally Posted By: clinebarger
Chevy/GMC Suburban?

They hold 6-7

No, they hold 7-9. Two (captains chairs) or three (bench) front, two (captain) or three (bench) middle, and three back (tight squeeze).

I wouldn't expect to get that many into a minivan. I would rent a Suburban/Yukon XL and plan on three adults in the back, two kids and one adult in the middle, and two adults up front.

How old are the children and what kind of car seats are they in? You may have a chance of squeezing 8 in an Odyssey or Sienna (with 8 passenger configuration) if the children are in backless boosters. If they are in rear (or even forward) facing convertible car seats, it's much harder.

My experience with the 8 passenger minivans (2010 Odyssey and 2012 Sienna) is that the 8th "seat" isn't much of a seat. It basically occupies the middle position of the 2nd row and requires the 3rd row passengers to perform acrobatic maneuvers to get into their seats. Also, the 8th seat may be valid in a pinch, but no adult (or even teenager) would want to ride in it for several hours.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
I'd just rent a 15 passenger van-everybody has them, you'll have a lot more room.

Yeah, except these things rent for more than double what a minivan would rent for, and I need it for 8 days. But it is what it is. I'll see if anyone has a Suburban I can rent.

Thanks all.

Originally Posted By: eugenem
How old are the children and what kind of car seats are they in? You may have a chance of squeezing 8 in an Odyssey or Sienna (with 8 passenger configuration) if the children are in backless boosters. If they are in rear (or even forward) facing convertible car seats, it's much harder.

Less than 1 year old. Rear facing seats.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
I'd just rent a 15 passenger van-everybody has them, you'll have a lot more room.

Yeah, except these things rent for more than double what a minivan would rent for, and I need it for 8 days. But it is what it is. I'll see if anyone has a Suburban I can rent.

Thanks all.

For a day or two a minivan would probably work. But for 8 days I'd seriously consider a full size van or possibly rent a small motorhome. You'll have more room to stretch out, more room for luggage and all the things that kids need, and much less hassle getting stuff packed up and stowed. To top it off, everyone will be much happier at the end of a long day of travel.

Our Durango is technically an 8 passenger vehicle (third row seating), but I wouldn't want to be crammed in there with 5 other adults and 2 kids for 8 days.

It will likely be cheaper to rent 2 cars or minivans and pay for gas in both than 1 full size van. I don't think a Suburban will work for you with full-size car seats.

You won't have room for luggage for 8 in a minivan unless you're traveling to a nudist colony.

Last edited:
Toyota Sienna will work fine as will a Honda Ody.

However you have to make sure they are 8 passenger versions. I did 4 kids in seats with 4 adults(2 set parents) in SC in a Sienna worked great for two weeks on corporate discount for $350.

However it depends on how heavy you are packing and type of luggage. More smaller pieces work much better then less larger luggage.

I have owned 3 GM full size passenger vans and 3 Dodge Caravans. I have 4 children and have travelled on vacation several times with the entire family. The mini vans are good for taking everyone [and grandma] out to dinner, driving more than an hour with everyone in a minivan will lead straight to family counseling. Don't do it!

Originally Posted By: RhondaHonda
It will likely be cheaper to rent 2 cars or minivans and pay for gas in both than 1 full size van.

Right, and we already have two cars that we could just take and not have to rent anything, but the idea was to travel together in one vehicle.

8 is alot esp when 2 car seats is pretty much 3 people.

Also not everyone fits the 150lb requirement to get 3 people on a seat without rubbing butts for hours.

You would need something like a 12-15 passenger van. Also where is all the luggage etc going? you pulling a trailer?

2 cars would make more sense in every way except taking one vehicle.

8 people going on vacation is going to overload a minivan even with 2 small kids.

Weight capacity is 1300lb or so. how much do the 8people + luggage weigh?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back