New versus old Rain-X

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought recently a new bottle of Rain-X, did my usual clean, 0000 steel wool, water rinse and dry and application of two coats of Rain-X. Worked ok but not like I remember from a few years ago... Maybe?
Yes! I found my old bottle of Rain-X from 1992! I re-did the treatment with the older stuff and what a difference! Mind you the 'new' application was done in April of this year and was just about gone. Using the 'old' stuff worked wonders, just like I remember....

Here are the bottle differences side by side....

New size - 3.5 Fl. Oz. ****** Old - 7.0 Fl. Oz.
UPC code - 079118010706 ****** - 079118126643
Both made in USA
Trade mark of Illinois ToolWorks, INC ****** by UNELKO CORPORATION,
a division of ITW Global Brands ****** Scottsdale, Arizonia 65260
Houston, Texas 77024 ******
Price @ Walmart online $3.97 ****** Price $??? (Hardware Online Store has a
similar bottle for $6.49 on sale for $2.89)

Both have similar instructions, both have a strong smell but way different. The old smells more like waxes and their solvents.
I think the 1992 stuff works far better and should last longer!
cool.gif

poikaa

I'm glad to see someone confirmed it. I used to swear by that stuff, and now I think it is next to worthless. I wonder why they changed something that worked so well?

UNELKO is still in business making all sorts of glass cleaners and repelants for automotive and commercial applications. Their current auto glass repelant is called 'Rain Clear'.
whistle.gif

poikaa

I bet you're 100% right about the old stuff working better. I used the Rain X windshield fluid. It actually does a very good job. I drove through a thunderstorm yesterday and didn't even need the wipers at all. I have using their windsheild formulation for years and it has really performed well
smile.gif

I have a new and old bottle I will try new and old on different sides and let you know after a few days.

Some people use Zaino (Z2 or Z5) and never use their wipers ever.

I prefer aquapel its overpriced but lasts at least 3-5x longer than rain-x ever did for me.

The inventor of RainX sold it years ago, waited the non-compete period then came out with Rain Clear. We used Rain Clear in a manufacturing/molding application and I talked to the owner about it's properties. Try it in the squeeze bottle, not the spray or gel.

I'll have to check the manufacturer of my bottles they are probably 2+ yrs old.

But really Nufinish after a clay bar on the windshield is going on 6 months of protection at about 90% of the effectiveness of rain ex... I like it

I've been using Rain-X for years and I've notice no difference in it's performance...if I apply it once every one to two weeks, it seems to work just fine...

Interesting information. I know that I simply haven't paid enough attention, and my driving habits have changed over the years, so I can't say I've gotten a good enough idea of things. I'd agree with Grampi, though, that more frequent applications help. I don't do it ever week or two, but I should be doing it at least once a month, I suspect.

Interesting that you should bring this up. I just recently bought a new bottle of Rain-X to replace my old bottle, that had lasted a few years. Using the new bottle, I put a fresh application on the windshield of my Outback before leaving on vacation to Kentucky. On the way home last week, we got caught in a pretty good rain storm in Indiana and Illinois, and again in Missouri. I found it odd that my windshield was not clearing off like I was used to, and I had to resort to turning on the wipers, something that in the past, I almost never have to do at highway speeds.

With the old bottle, I only applied Rain-X a few times a year. Considering that I used the new bottle to treat my windshield only a week before the rainstorm, it didn't measure up. I think I'll be switching to Aquapel

Originally Posted By: Brybo86

But really Nufinish after a clay bar on the windshield is going on 6 months of protection at about 90% of the effectiveness of rain ex... I like it

+1 This.

Clay it well and then wax. But I use Collinite 845 since it doesn't leave white marks on black trim like most other waxes. Amazingly effective.

RainX gets gummy after a few weeks (at least the old stuff did). Maybe new type is better but nothing beats wax.

Last edited:
+1 on a clean clay bar. The multiple curves in modern windshields are harder on wipers than the old flat glass on a V Dub before 71.
The soup which roads are pretreated with up this way is proving to be a lot harder to wipe off than plain salt.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: BHopkins
Interesting that you should bring this up. I just recently bought a new bottle of Rain-X to replace my old bottle, that had lasted a few years. Using the new bottle, I put a fresh application on the windshield of my Outback before leaving on vacation to Kentucky. On the way home last week, we got caught in a pretty good rain storm in Indiana and Illinois, and again in Missouri. I found it odd that my windshield was not clearing off like I was used to, and I had to resort to turning on the wipers, something that in the past, I almost never have to do at highway speeds.

With the old bottle, I only applied Rain-X a few times a year. Considering that I used the new bottle to treat my windshield only a week before the rainstorm, it didn't measure up. I think I'll be switching to Aquapel

Don't waste your money...I tried Aquapel once and it didn't appear to do ANYTHING...even the new formula Rain-X is much better...you just need to apply it more frequently...

Originally Posted By: Tony_Mack
+1 on the windshield fluid. It's worked very well for all the vehicles in my family.

Just make sure it is safe for your vehicle before using it. It has a habit of killing washer fluid level sensors in some cars.

--Matt

I did notice one minor difference, now that I think of it. I always used to use a J-cloth to apply the Rain-X, and could use the J-cloth many, many times. In any case, for a few years, I was just using a rag, and now started with the J-cloth again. After one use, the J-cloth became brittle to the point it would turn to powder if I tried to use it again. So, perhaps something has changed in the chemistry of Rain-X or the chemistry of J-cloths.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back