2015 Malibu: Going to lease one tomorrow

Status
Not open for further replies.
My fleet of vehicles in getting old, and my 21YO daughter (great kid) is tired of dumping $$$ into our old Tahoe just for gas to get her to work & school. So she's taking our 2014 Cruze and I'm going to lease a Malibu for the wife.

The deal hinges on getting something more than scrap for my rotted out '99 Sonoma in trade.

Right now I'm at $167 for a 24 month lease - sign & drive, OTD. 20K miles, which works for us because my wife doesn't rack up the miles.

Wish me luck....

thats not bad. I don't generally consider leases financially sound, unless you can deduct it as a business expense.

The $167 is not bad as long as you are not putting anything down.

I'm not a fan of leasing & this is my first time. The only reasons I'm going down this road are the low miles my wife puts on vehicles & the ease of ridding my '99 S10. We'll see how this works out...

No prelease charges or return charges? If so it seems like a steal $167. per month for the use of a new car!

Originally Posted By: CT8
No prelease charges or return charges? If so it seems like a steal $167. per month for the use of a new car!

I have not seen the contract - but thanks for the tips - I will look for that language & ask questions.

Uh-oh, he said the L word!
27.gif

Deer love them some 2015 Malibus... Boss just totaled hers Monday night in Minnesota. Of course, she was going about 80mph on I35.... yeah, I gave her some grief.

Leases use to be bad, but these days when the manufacturer doesn't want to offer too many incentives, they can kind of bury them with low lease payments. Typically leases on foreign cars that tend to hold their value are better than domestic cars, but again, it all depends on what incentives the manufacturer is offering. Usually they do that by calculating a high residential value and normally at the end of the lease, the car is worth less than the residual value so you typically just turn it in. Basically you're paying about 4k to drive a car that will have a warranty the whole time you're driving it. Make sure there's no additional fees that they tack on. And whatever you get for your trade, you shouldn't apply it to the lease because if it gets totaled, you don't get it back.

Originally Posted By: ChevyBadger
Write a review on it for me! That would be great. We are looking at buying one in the near future!

I'll provide my thoughts, but you're looking at a guy who typically owns & fixes junkers. Anything 2015 will be light years ahead of my current fleet, even if it is a total poopbox...lol...

Last edited:
Did you contact your insurance provider? Depending on your old policies, plan on paying more as the lease contract will stipulate full coverage of course. Might only be a couple hundred more a year but it is still more cash.

Originally Posted By: typ901
Did you contact your insurance provider? Depending on your old policies, plan on paying more as the lease contract will stipulate full coverage of course. Might only be a couple hundred more a year but it is still more cash.

Whatever coverage the lease stipulates, you should have anyway. In most states if you drive around on state minimum, you're crazy...unless you have zero assets.

That sounds like a good deal, cheaper than keeping an old jalopy on the road and your wife gets to drive a nice new car.

Deal is done. $135/month, 20K miles. Old '99 Sonoma is gone.

It's a nice ride, well equipped with features. Back-up cam is interesting. Evidently has start/stop technology, but I think it's turned off at the moment. Got it home, programmed the Homelink remote for the garage door & felt like Einstein, then started drinking - buyers' remorse.

I'm getting old @ 45 & I understand now: I like my '98 Silverado. Simple to operate. No touchscreen, no back up cam. 4WD Hi or Lo is as complicated as it gets.

A lot of different conditions need to be met for start/stop to engage... Engine fully warmed up, ac not running particularly high, etc.

Originally Posted By: stevejones
Deal is done. $135/month, 20K miles. Old '99 Sonoma is gone.

nice price, is that a no money down price?

Just got rid of a 2015 Malibu after only 6000 miles. The stop/start set up was not confidence inspiring. I had one instance when the car started missing real bad after a start/stop event. They found a 0P300 code (random misfire). Could not find anything else wrong. Cleared the code and sent me on my way. A few weeks later after a start/stop event the car would not go at all. Push on the gas pedal and it sat there. Finally moved. The Ecotec 2.5 is a great motor, just need the electronics to tell it when to go. Went out and bought another car the next day. Not GM either. GM let me down on this one.

Originally Posted By: spasm3

Not counting trading in my old truck, correct.
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
A lot of different conditions need to be met for start/stop to engage... Engine fully warmed up, ac not running particularly high, etc.

Good to know. So it's automatic?
Originally Posted By: rshaw125
Pic?

not to be a smartarse, but just google white 2015 Malibu. Not like it's a lost Superbird.

Originally Posted By: stevejones
Originally Posted By: spasm3

Not counting trading in my old truck, correct.

That sounds like a good deal even on a lease!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back