Why are custom wheels now being called "rims"

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've noticed the last few years that "custom" or alloy wheels in some circles have been called "rims". It seems like the term rims has gone from the gangsta vernacular to mainstream language most recently. In the tire stores, the car shows, and car sales ads the term "rims" has largely replaced the term custom wheels or alloy wheels. I thought everybody knew that the "rim" is the part of a wheel that secures the tire to the rest of the wheel, and hence the car. Does anyone else see this as an issue or am I just an old fogey who needs to get over it and recognize that the world has advanced out of the wire wheel era.

Rims are what we used to attach to the spokes on a motorcycle wheels. Took off the steel and replaced them with alloys.

They've always been called rims as far as I know. We called wheels "rims" 30 years ago.

Easier to say, easier to spell, easier to text, etc. For lazy minds that want everything easy whether or not it is correct.

All languages evolve over time and English is no exception.

The correct term is "wheel" and don't feel you need to change just because others do.

Having said that, it doesn't mean you should become a stickler when you encounter a slang term (which is what "rims" is evolving to).

Since you understand what is meant, carry on but feel free to use the correct term in your own writing and conversation.

Hub + spokes + rim = wheel (spoked wheel)
Wheel Center + [inner / outer] rim = wheel (modern multipart wheel)

Last edited:
Yeah I always thought they were called rims. Tires are rubber things you put over metal rims. Tires + rims = wheels. Rims made of shiny stuff = alloy rims. Rims made of bland looking back metal = steelies.

Summit racing and I call them "wheels". I've always bought Cragar wheels. But......different times.....different language description.........of wheels.

I call them wheels unless discussing anatomy of a wheel (hub, spokes, rim, ie you mount the tire on the rim of the wheel.)

Also it could be how custom wheels are dished or have so much negative offset on how it looks so tacky on trucks and SUV's but creates chatter amongst homies on how you got new tight rims on your 'lade.

Last edited:
Whenever people stop referring to that thing under the hood that runs on gas and is connected to the transmission as a "motor".

Thanks to all for your replies. I guess since I can remember helping ( or getting in the way of) my dad when working on his MGTD or Austin Healey 3000 back when they were just British Sports Cars and not Vintage or Classic anything, that I am of "that certain age".

Originally Posted By: Stag
Thanks to all for your replies. I guess since I can remember helping ( or getting in the way of) my dad when working on his MGTD or Austin Healey 3000 back when they were just British Sports Cars and not Vintage or Classic anything, that I am of "that certain age".

I'm guessing he did NOT call those wires/Minilites/whatever they had on them, "rims"? LOL
31.gif

I refuse to call them rims, you have wheels and tires go on wheels. I have actually had a customer go storming out of my parts department because I wouldn't call what they were looking for "rims" and when I said "wheels and rims are synonyms" I got the "now you are making up words" response.

But then I also get questioned because I was taught to call struts/shocks dampers and call knuckles uprights.

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
Whenever people stop referring to that thing under the hood that runs on gas and is connected to the transmission as a "motor".

Whereas :
...that thing under the bonnet that runs on petrol and is connected to the automatic gearbox as an "engine".

And yes, our 65 Triumph TR4A has "knock off hubs". We call them "spinners".

Different regions, different terminology.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back