Off Roading Beach Maintenance needs

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am taking a vaction in 2 weeks to Corolla, NC and there is a 15 miles 4X4 only beach area and I am planning to have some fun. I have been told not to go splasing in the ocean as the saltwater will eat the Montero inside out. Are there other concerns when done off roading that sand can pose. I am thinking sand might get into places it should not be. Any off roading advice especially on maintenance is greatly appreciated.

You are going to want to deflate those tires a bit while on the sand.

I have tall skinny mud tires so sand is a no-no for me
frown.gif

I drove 125 miles each way in Quebed province on a sandy gravel road while going on a bear hunt several years ago. When I got back to civilization, I found sand on top of the frame rails, the gas tank, the rear axle,etc. I stopped at a car wash in Canada and spent over $15 dollars to gat about 80% of the sand out of there. Had to lay on my back with the wishy washy wand to get at some of the more obscure places. Didn's hurt anything but I did not have any salt in the sand which you will. I mfinished the job and got rid of the other 20% once I got home.

Get it out of there ASAP once you ae off of the beach. When you gt home, take a garden hose and lay down and really give it a good blasting with clear freash water.

Sand is everywhere and gets where it wants, regardless of whether you're driving on-road or off. Mud is a different matter, since it can cake and lock-in chlorides for increased localize corrosion, as well as throw wheels off-balance.

Sand should fall away on its own, though a car wash afterward wouldn't hurt.

Just wash it off as best you can after your vacation. Best thing would be a good, hard rain on your trip home.
smile.gif

I've been down there a bunch and have many beach miles on my 4Runner. First time being 10 years ago. I don't think it's rusting out quicker than any of my other vehicles.

Drop the psi in your tires to 15-20. The people who get stuck down there don't do this.

Don't plan on having too much fun (donuts, speeding, etc).
smile.gif
There are cops out there and they do write tickets.

Originally Posted By: spk2000
I have been told not to go splasing in the ocean as the saltwater will eat the Montero inside out.

Ignore that advice! You are on vacation to have fun. You are making a long trip so maximize the adventure. Cut donuts, splash through the salt water, peel out, whatever you want to do. Your vehicle will not melt away from one good excursion to the beach.

I speak from experience. I live 15 min. from the Gulf of Mexico. I blast through the salt water often and bury my truck to the axles sometimes. Yes it does get sandy and salty, but between rain and car washes, there is no lingering effects. I have done this my whole adult life. Have fun, you won't regret it. If you do miss the fun, you will regret it.

I've seen guys run through tidal pools. I would drain pumkins and the transmission afterward If the air intake is low you can hydrolock. Remember 4wd drive allows you to get stuck even worse. If running the dunes is permitted, Run a pole with a flag on it for visibility. Pack a real shovel, a few squares of 3/4 plywood and a tow strap. Myself, I would stay out of the water. Have fun but you still have to get home
grin2.gif

Last edited:
As Miller88 said, air down the tires. Go down to at least 15 psi, maybe closer to 12-13. Buy an electric tire pump to plug into the cigarette lighter, you'll be amazed at the difference in how it does in the sand.

I've gone many many times out to the dunes in Southern California on ATVs and riding in sand rails.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back