Subaru Forester XT or Hyundai Santa Fe Sport 2.0l

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm going to buy a 2016 Subaru Forester XT or a 2016 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport 2.0L.I like the Subaru more but I would like to hear some insight into Hyundai quality and their 2016 Santa Fe Sport 2.0l.Edmunds does not like the 2.0l turbo.To them it was slow and the milage for this model was not great.Thanks Joe

I have never owned a Subaru but I will say that my experience has always been good with Hyundai. If resale value is of high importance I would go with the Subaru but all else being equal I think the Hyundai is a solid car with a great warranty and lots of bang for your buck.

Resale value? Subbie
Soft roading? Subbie
Tunable? Subbie

Looks? SFS
Content laden cabin? SFS
Warranty? SFS

Not one issue with my SFS but the Subbie is solid too.

Both are fast for what they are.

I'd trust the Hyundai over the Forester. I'm slightly biased, but having seen the latest of both brands up close, I think the Hyundai offers a better quality and value. And a better warranty if I'm wrong.

Had a rental Santa Fe a few months ago (2015 MY) and very NOT impressed with the build quality when I looked it over carefully. Between the two, I'd go Subaru. I believe the chronic head gasket problems with them are in the past now; it kept me away from a used one last year but I think the newest motors are fixed.

I am biased, as well, especially since I never considered the Santa Fe, but I will say a few things:

1. I drove in to test drive one of the first '14 FXT's around, expecting to hate the CVT. Not only did I find it acceptable, I found it to be very good and was surprised by how nice it was to drive.

I rent cars for 2-3 weeks per year, and sometimes get a CVT vehicle (usually a sentra or something budget,) and never really thought much of them. I didn't dislike them, but normally wouldn't prefer it to a manual tranny or a good slush box.

2. The thing moves. I had a 2.0T Escape for a week+ as a rental and, while it was also quick, it didn't feel nearly as nice as the Subaru. The turbo in the Subaru is also very audible and both it and the BPV when coming off full boost quickly add nicely to the aural experience.

I don't know what the Santa Fe has, but the twin-scroll in the FXT results in nearly instantaneous boost.

3. Handling is just ok, maybe par for the CUV course. Again, I was coming from an STI, so I wasn't expecting nearly the same level of grip, and what the FXT offers was good enough.

With that said, the ride is very comfortable, which was probably what they were looking for. As a comparison, the FXT feels more SUV like, while the Escape felt more car-like; both attributes were nice at different times.

4. The vehicle is very usable and comfortable, but the front seats are lacking in a big way. This was the single thing that nearly made me skip the buy when I was looking for a new AWD CUV. The seats are comfortable enough, and I've definitely gotten used to them, but the leg support just feel wrong, and I can't ever find the right spot.

I did drive it down to FL with little complaint from my wife and passengers, though. The front passenger seat sits unusually high and can't be adjusted for height, but you get used to it. The rear seats tilt back a little and were pretty comfortable, with tons of leg room. My lower back usually causes me issues on long drives, but it was the same or slightly better than I've experienced in the past, in the STI, Civic, and my old Legacy (which had very comfortable seats!)

5. X-mode is nice, if you need it. I don't know what kind of AWD system the Santa Fe has, but the Forester XT's is top-notch (for a system without LSD's or the ability to lock anything.) The displays for the system operation are nothing but gimmicky displays, but the system seemed to provide a little better get-up-and-go in the very slick winter we've had, even with the [censored] OEM Geolanders still installed.

I'm looking forward to seeing how she does with proper snow shoes on!

My vote would be for the Forester.

As you can see from my signature line, I own a Subaru. My daughter-in-law used to drive a Sonata, until just a few days ago, when my son traded it for a Subaru Impreza.

While I could list a few different reasons why I lean towards the Forester, you asked for details on the Hyundai. My concern with Hyundai is long term reliability. Hyundai has made a lot of progress in quality of their cars during the last decade. There is no question that they are motivated to be a serious competitor to the other big Asian car companies. (One only needs to understand the animosity that Korea has towards Japan, to understand the drive of companies like Hyundai.) Hyundai recently earned recognition for Initial Quality. But if you pay attention to the condition of older Hyundai cars, they tend to be pretty worn out by the time they are over 10 years old. There are a number of threads right here on this website that are examples of issues with older Hyundai cars.

I was considering a 2015 or 2016 Forester but in the Subaru forums I was turned off by people in cold weather states complaining about the lack of heat from the heater, at least in the 2014's. It was mostly no foot heat. Living in New York State a good heater is vital to me, esp. since the last two years we had arctic conditions.

Maybe Subaru correct the situation?

The Subaru will be worth more later, the SUBARU BOXER engine if serious work needs to be done its cheaper to buy a replacement then to get it fixed.
There has been some bottom end issues lately so make sure you follow factory break in to the letter.
I would get the Subaru.

About the heat issue it seems to be the same with Hyundais My Hyundai had issues with heat in winter, its an easy fix with a piece of cardboard.

Originally Posted By: ronbo
I was considering a 2015 or 2016 Forester but in the Subaru forums I was turned off by people in cold weather states complaining about the lack of heat from the heater, at least in the 2014's. It was mostly no foot heat. Living in New York State a good heater is vital to me, esp. since the last two years we had arctic conditions.

Maybe Subaru correct the situation?

I posted in that thread. At least in my XT, we have no complaints. I'm pretty easy to please, though, so it's my wife who has no complaints that matters more.

Originally Posted By: gathermewool
...so it's my wife who has no complaints that matters more.

Hear, hear!

Both are nice...I personally would take the subie but you cant go wrong with either one. I would feel safer in the subie. Also if you like the Hyundai...have you looked at the kia version?

Had rental SF recently. I was appalled by plastic inside. I know Hyundai is not VW, but for the love of god.
Steering feel? What feel?
Subaru? Just one word: CVT!!! Drove that attempt of an transmission once and honestly, firing squad is easy escape for the guy who invented that.

Originally Posted By: edyvw
Had rental SF recently. I was appalled by plastic inside. I know Hyundai is not VW, but for the love of god.
Subaru? Just one word: CVT!!! Drove that attempt of an transmission once and honestly, firing squad is easy escape for the guy who invented that.

Yes but was the CVT you drove a Subaru CVT and a recent one. From what I read the Subaru CVT is a good one.

add a Honda or Toyota to the list. I won't buy a Subaru. Maybe a year or two old Hyundai/Kia for 33% less than the new Subaru.

Originally Posted By: ronbo
Originally Posted By: edyvw

Yes but was the CVT you drove a Subaru CVT and a recent one. From what I read the Subaru CVT is a good one.

It is a CVT. You cannot make a pie from s...!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back