2010 Toyota Corolla - Royal Purple 0W20 - 13,000Km

Status
Not open for further replies.
Car is a 2010 Toyota Corolla 5speed with the 1.8L engine. Toyota says to still do oil changes at 8,000 Km even while using synthtic oil. Oil analysis was done by Blackstone labs.

Oil was bought on sale, thought I'd give it a try ! Will probably switch to Castrol Edge 0W-20 next.

Code:
OIL Royal Purple 0W-20 Royal Purple 0W-20

KM IN USE 12,965 Km ( 8,056 Mi ) 9,467 Km ( 5,882 Mi ) Universal

KM ON UNIT 109,524 Km ( 68,055 Mi ) 96,559 Km ( 59,377 Mi ) averages

SAMPLE TAKEN 5/31/2015 2/25/2015 (13,000Km)

ALUMINUM 2 2 3

CHROMIUM 0 0 0

IRON 8 7 10

COPPER 2 2 2

LEAD 0 0 0

TIN 2 0 1

MOLYBDENUM 1 2 79

NICKEL 0 0 0

MANGANESE 0 0 0

SILVER 0 0 0

TITANIUM 0 0 1

POTASSIUM 0 1 2

BORON 1 2 38

SILICON 5 5 12

SODIUM 439 408 82

CALCIUM 2268 2121 2027

MAGNESIUM 7 8 185

PHOSPHORUS 726 716 676

ZINC 789 802 784

BARIUM 0 0 0

INSOLUBLES TR TR
WATER 0.0 0.0
FLASHPOINT ºF 400 380 >385

SUS VIS 210ºF 52.6 50.0 46-57

cSt @ 100ºC 8.07 7.28 6.0-9.7

TBN 5.0 5.7 >1.0

Blackstone comments : This is another good report for your Corolla. You kept this oil in place for nearly 13,000 km and wear metals are right in line with universal averages. In fact, most of them are just a little lower, so your engine is wearing better than the average 2ZR-FE, overall. The sodium you see is just addative in Royal Purple oil. If you decide to try a different oil, chances are good that you'll see sodium wash out (unless you use an oil that also uses sodium). The TBN was straong at 5.0, so there was lots of active additive left. Try up to 15,000 km next time. Very nice report !

thumbsup2.gif
01.gif

That oil could easily go 20,000 km (12,500 mi) in that engine.

The RP add-pack is almost the EXACT same as Synpower - 400+ppm Na, and 2000-2200ppm Ca detergent, and not much else....seems to work well.

Originally Posted By: addyguy
That oil could easily go 20,000 km (12,500 mi) in that engine.

The RP add-pack is almost the EXACT same as Synpower - 400+ppm Na, and 2000-2200ppm Ca detergent, and not much else....seems to work well.

Valvoline is missing the purple dye. Big huge mistake on Valvoline's part!

Great report out. I too purchased 30+ quarts of RP when on clearance and happy to see 8K+ miles on this run. Currently have 4,500 miles on a run of RP in my Accord and will be replacing at 5K for this first run. Next run I'll follow your lead at 8K.

As if the only ingredients that make an oil what it is are the one's you can see in a VOA.

Great UOA.

Originally Posted By: Jaypasdetalent
Oil was bought on sale, thought I'd give it a try ! Will probably switch to Castrol Edge 0W-20 next.

If you can continue to get a decent price (get a good relationship with a local parts shop) and you continue to extend your OCIs as you did, I see no reason to change away from the RP.

Originally Posted By: wemay
Originally Posted By: Garak
...I see no reason to change away from the RP.

This ^^^

^^ This again. Your UOA looks great. Stick with RP.

I'd love to use RP after seeing multiple good UOA reports, but they just cost too much more than your M1 or Castrol Edge variety.

If I can continue getting it on special i'll stick to it ! Every once in a while it comes on sale at CT. I was just curious if I would get as good results using an other oil like Castrol.

Originally Posted By: Leonardo629
I'd love to use RP after seeing multiple good UOA reports, but they just cost too much more than your M1 or Castrol Edge variety.

Our retail environment can be a little different. RP is priced right between M1 and M1 EP, though it's sales aren't as deep.

Quote:
If I can continue getting it on special i'll stick to it ! Every once in a while it comes on sale at CT. I was just curious if I would get as good results using an other oil like Castrol.

Of course, you wouldn't be trying to compare the performance of lubes by a couple UOAs, now would you?
wink.gif
In any case, you might be able to find a local parts store that sells the product and could give you a corporate rate all the time. That will save you a lot of time monkeying around at Canadian Tire.

Is this the hps stuff? Or just sn rated.

I have a but from when it was on sale at Wm fir $5 a quart. Thought it was a good deal at the time.

Originally Posted By: Jaypasdetalent
Car is a 2010 Toyota Corolla 5speed with the 1.8L engine. Toyota says to still do oil changes at 8,000 Km even while using synthtic oil. Oil analysis was done by Blackstone labs.

nice! looks like you have a ways to go yet before it oxidizes into a 30 weight.
i am surprised at the 8,000km reccomendation, is that what the dealership told you or what is in your manuel? just out of curiosity what does your manuel say for normal/severe service and does it differentiate between dino and syn?
mind if i ask why your switching? cost of royal purple is higher but it might be interesting to see how far you are comefortable going on the RP before switching brands. if RP can do 20,000km and castrol only 13,000km or something weird it may be cheaper to use RP.

Yes look at those insolubles they are really good. Look at the UVA of .6 that would be the only limit to extending if they went much higher.

Looks great.

I do not know anything about RP 0W20 because I do not own anything that I use a 20W in so they do not interest me much. The big thing normally with RP is shearing out of grade and allowing wear to climb after it has sheared. Their 5W30 was notorious for this.

If you think about it synthetic 5W20 or 0W20 would have to be made from real low grade material to shear out of grade. I can not imagine one needs much in the way of VI's to make a 5W20 or a 0W20.

IN this case oil, filtration, oci, and usage all seem to be a great match!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back