accident today, dropping things into crankcase

Status
Not open for further replies.
Today, an accident happened. I had a 5 quart jug I used but there was some leftover oil at the bottom of the jug that was hard to get at or pour, so i poured it into a little powerbait trout fishing bait container. It had one piece of bait left (you can google it , powerbait trout bait if you're unsure of what it is, but it's small and sticky but not hard but perhaps dissolvable in water). I didn't think the piece would fall in the crankcase, but when I used the powerbait container (as an intermediate between the jug and my crankcase) on the taurus, the powerbait piece fell into the crainkcase! I tried to fish it out but it was impossible. Is this going to damage my engine or be bad for it or should my engine be able to handle it and would it go into the oil filter or would it clog anything? THanks.

should I get a mechanic to fish it out or am I OK?

also, is kingsford charcoal much better than the store brand charcoals and the charcoal lighter fluids? can you put charcaol lighter fluid in lighters instead of buying zippo brand lighter fluid? Thanks

If it did make it to the crank case it would get caught in the oil pump screen, blocking causing oil starvation, don't think it would make it to the filter.

...and yes Kingsford is the best charcoal. I purchase the Weber 21.1/2 charcoal grill I dumped the grate the grill came with & up graded with the pre- seasoned cast iron grate from what I read it contains the heat better and uniformly cook the food evenly.

Last edited:
Is this a troll post? you knowingly tipped the bait container, knowing that some was in there, over your oil opening? The powerbait container is easy to see into.

This makes no sense.

I'm assuming that since you were unable to remove the contents of the container you used to hold the oil you were pouring, and the contents of the container dropped into the oil fill hole, that you're not capable of removing the valve cover to retrieve it. Find someone who can.

As far as the charcoal/lighter fluid, I recommend you stay far away from anything remotely flammable.

Originally Posted By: jdavis
Depending on how much bait when in, it may be a good idea to also drop down a hook and line..

^^This. I also would use a white roadrunner lure. I've always had the best luck with those.

the bait was sticky and was sort of wet and stuck to the powerbait container, so i thought it wouldn't fall in. not trolling
a huge mistake! it fell in!

Hopefully, it won't impact much, or do you think it will cause oil starvation? Will changing the oil help? or do i need a mechanic to fish it out for me?

No don't worry about it, the power bait is an ester!!!
grin.gif

I'd probably pull the valve cover but if too much work, run it for a week, then change the oil. Looks like it would break apart come out next oil change.

Originally Posted By: robo339
This post sounds fishy and has me floundering around with my reply but I would get a mechanic on the line and see what he can do to get you off the hook

And make sure he's set up for trolling.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
I'm assuming that since you were unable to remove the contents of the container you used to hold the oil you were pouring, and the contents of the container dropped into the oil fill hole, that you're not capable of removing the valve cover to retrieve it. Find someone who can.

As far as the charcoal/lighter fluid, I recommend you stay far away from anything remotely flammable.
This!
crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted By: ChevyBadger
Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit

This!
crackmeup2.gif

this, x2.
OP -- are you really an engineer? good luck,man.

Cant you remove vakve cover and get it out? If you havent started the engine yet? If you dont know how to do that today is always a good time to learn.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back