Recommended oil for 90 5L Mustang

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why 10W30? 5W30 will work just fine plus it's typically a little thicker than 10W30 (applies to GTX HM). I've always ran 5W30 in mine and it's only summer driven (May 1 - Oct 31). Don't limit your choices with 10W30. It's really not required.

Originally Posted By: Striker
[censored] part is, I'm just a touch short! I'll need another 1L bottle.

Yup, you will. M1 0w-40 is what I've run in my last two 5.0L's and what we ran in my buddy's built one. Seems to work well as tear-downs showed a spotless engine with no discernible wear.

My only concern is that like any used car, I don't know the history of the oil changes or what it was used with. I think when I bought it, he had a sticker for it stating Valvoline bulk used at a dealer or shop.

Would M1 do a better job than say PP of GC? I wouldn't rule out some higher end stuff either like Amsoil or Royal Purple if its of benefit.

Originally Posted By: Striker
My only concern is that like any used car, I don't know the history of the oil changes or what it was used with. I think when I bought it, he had a sticker for it stating Valvoline bulk used at a dealer or shop.

Would M1 do a better job than say PP of GC? I wouldn't rule out some higher end stuff either like Amsoil or Royal Purple if its of benefit.

Better job in what sense?

Sorry I was at work couldn't really type in detail:

I guess I'm just looking for a good proper start to the oil changes. Not quite sure how often or exactly with what the old man changed the oil during the two decades he had it.

I know these motors are stout but I'd like to start off fresh with good oil, perhaps something that has lots of cleaning properties in it as I heard PP has? (Just waiting for the sale)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back