Low Oil Level Warning message on Acura TL

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Acura TL has the technology package, so on my way to work the other day, I got a rather upsetting message that my oil level was low. Hitting the "voice" button, a verbal message said to pull off to the side of the road, check the oil level, and fill up if necessary. It also said that if the oil pressure was low to have the car towed to the dealer. Naturally paranoia set it. I do my Oil changes; did I not tighten the crankcase plug enough? The low oil pressure light did not come on, so then the thought occurred to me that I had low oil pressure but the oil pressure idiot light system was broken. however, the engine sounded just fine. This whole incident occurred a half block from my office, so I pulled into the company parking lot and let the car sit until lunchtime. When I did, the oil level looked fine. By coincidence, I had an appointment with my dealer (the car is still under warranty) to fix the horn, so I called them up and asked them to add this malady to the list of things to check out. The next day I drove to the dealer.
The dealer was in full "stealer" mode. All they did was check the oil, hook up the car to the computer and note that there were no faults. They didn't bother to investigate any further. They cleared the message from the nav. What could have caused the oil level warning message to go on?
When I say the dealer was in full stealer mode, they pulled all the usual stunts like telling me that they looked at my air filter and told me it was dirty, (funny I just changed it myself a week ago, must have been a lot of air pollution.) and they didn't have a replacement horn in stock. and some other problem they couldn't duplicate.
So now I am left to wonder on my own what caused the warning message, and how it can be diagnosed. Internet searches show that on other Acura models, but not the TL there was a problem with an oil pressure sender that was mentioned in some tech bulletins. But the low oil pressure light never came on. Could the oil all have been pumped up into the top of the engine? It's not like I was driving particularly fast or hard that morning. Intelligent guesses welcome..

It is probably the warning the comes on when you are 1qt/1lt low.
Doubt it had anything to do with oil pressure..

Why it came on.. who knows.

Originally Posted By: PeterGreen
When I say the dealer was in full stealer mode

crackmeup2.gif

Engines sometimes consume oil. Other times, a slight variation in the oil level sensor's reading (due to accelerations) will trip a warning.

It seems as if you are over-reacting in a big way.

I have a pretty extensive manual with my Acura TL in signature. Do you have the manual to see if it can give you any pointers? Knocking on wood -- the only message I ever got on the Nav system with mine is; when the fuel cap needs tightened. Which seems to come on atleast twice a month & I know to ignore it. Wish you luck & I will be following this topic.

How is the low oil level system in the Acura set up? Is it a float in the pan?

I have run into this problem on Mercedes where the float they use in the pan goes bad tripping the message.

I believe you will have to wait for the message to return, before you can pursue it any further.

Make sure the service dept didn't overfill the oil, when they looked it over. Subaru dealers are becoming infamous for doing this, to mask consumption issues.

I had that warning/voice come on of course outside US(Quebec City) for no apparent reason in my 07 MDX tech. Never came on again.

I think errant signal can cause it and don't fret unless it happens again. There is a tsb related to faulty oil presure switch but I never bothered since it has not happened in 2yrs.

Thanks for the replies, but the oil consumption, thank goodness has never been an issue with this car. Makeup oil of less than half a quart between OCs. thanks to all for replies. I won't worry about it too much if you think it is just a random occurrence.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back