I have swollen lug nuts

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had swollen lugs nuts when I was in the service. They called it epididymitis. They gave me some pills called erythromycin and I was all better.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
^ Yeah I was impacting alright! I had bruises on my pelvis.
laugh.gif

Yep, I remember those days now so long gone...
... also wore a hole in my drive shaft in a similar situation.

Last edited:
Funny title for sure.

NOTE OF CAUTION.

When I was working in the garage, people I worked with showed me a "trick" to get these bulging Chrysler acorn lug nuts with the heavy chrome cladding on them out of your impact socket.

You grab the base of the socket and pull the trigger on your impact gun so the anvils start rattling so the lug nut falls out.

I used to always pass a screwdriver through the back of the socket and bang it out. Never felt comfortable with the trick, that worked really well BTW.

Then an accident happened. Yes, all over these STUPID Chrysler lug nuts.

A young guy I worked with grabbed too close to the torn rusty cladding and he pulled the trigger on his impact to rattle the stuck lug nut out. It sliced up his hand something fierce, he was out for 2 weeks solid and was miserable the whole recovery.

If you live in Rust Country keep the cladded nuts as summer lug nuts, and buy regular lug nuts for Winter use.

And don't try this trick out, it is very dangerous.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
I recommend rusteze medicated bumper ointment.

Swollen lug nuts sound like a problem Lightning McQueen would have after a long race. Maybe they will cover that in Cars 3.

I had lug nuts with SS covers crimped on them on an old Vega. A few of the covers came off, and there was no socket that would fit them perfectly. I didn't realize anybody still used those kind of lug nuts. I recommend changing to aftermarket.

Originally Posted By: Falken
Funny title for sure.

NOTE OF CAUTION.

When I was working in the garage, people I worked with showed me a "trick" to get these bulging Chrysler acorn lug nuts with the heavy chrome cladding on them out of your impact socket.

You grab the base of the socket and pull the trigger on your impact gun so the anvils start rattling so the lug nut falls out.

I used to always pass a screwdriver through the back of the socket and bang it out. Never felt comfortable with the trick, that worked really well BTW.

Then an accident happened. Yes, all over these STUPID Chrysler lug nuts.

A young guy I worked with grabbed too close to the torn rusty cladding and he pulled the trigger on his impact to rattle the stuck lug nut out. It sliced up his hand something fierce, he was out for 2 weeks solid and was miserable the whole recovery.

If you live in Rust Country keep the cladded nuts as summer lug nuts, and buy regular lug nuts for Winter use.

And don't try this trick out, it is very dangerous.

Why not just let the impact trigger go and pull off the socket before the lug nut is all the way off the thread?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Rick in PA
I got my car inspected today and when they phoned one of the things they told me was I have swollen lug nuts. (???) They mentioned it could be a problem if I had a flat out on the road. I had never heard of such a thing.

Anyway, this evening I took a few of the lug nuts off and examined them. I was surprised to find they are a two-part design with a chrome cover pressed over a steel lug nut. I hadn't noticed that before. And yes, there appeared to be a fine line of corrosion at the joint between the two. So I measured them with a caliper. And yes they are about ~.005 to ~.010 over the nominal 3/4" hex. Surprise, surprise, I do have swollen lug nuts, but just mildly swollen.

Ah, all my lug nut wrenches (including the emergency one in the car) fit on the lug nuts. I'll keep an eye on it.

The garage I go to is very sharp, and very picky. OK maybe they were looking for an up-sell, but I can't blame them for doing that. Swollen lug nuts, who would have thought?

I'd take it to the vet.
smile.gif
The garage might have been trying to save you some grief, or sell some expensive parts. My mother had her 08 Toyota inspected at a dealer before shipping it to Florida for the winter ( even though my brother and I had looked it over). We all agreed the '08 with less than 20K was in fine shape. Once there she had a checklist problem with the AC and the Toyota dealer there tried to sell her $1000 worth of parts, OR a new car. There was an a catfight on the sales floor between a female salesperson and the female service manager over who was going to sell what. Mom hit the road, after being told she had simply not turned on the climate control.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
I would replace the whole set with solid ones. Once you have to tap on the socket, What can happen is the cap comes off the nut getting good and stuck in the socket or lug wrench. If you don't have a multi tool in the car, it could make a simple flat a bigger pita to fight with the lugs as well...

I have a nice set of solid lugnuts for my Cherokee. They worked great! ... until I switched to Ford wheels.

I can't find a set of one piece lugnuts that have the thread pitch for the Jeep studs, but the right taper for the Ford wheels. So I'm back to Chrysler lugnuts for now.

Edit: The taper is the same, so the Ford wheels stay tight. Just the ford wheels have it farther out in the lug hole than the Jeep wheels. And the single piece lugnuts just go all the way in the hole and the tapers don't contact each other.

Originally Posted By: Donald
Anyone with half a brain at Chrysler would have realized that after a few tire rotations the chrome plating would start to allow in water (salt water in the winter) which will then cause rust and corrosion under the thin layer of chrome.

Altho other manufacturers are / were guilty of this.. You are giving far too much credit to a company that has lost it's way for quite a long time. As well as brought down the new "partners
" it has taken on to try and "resurrect the beast" that it is !

BurrWinder

LOL.. all jokes aside, this is another common rust-belt affliction, with the pressed-on cap style lug nuts.

Decades ago, I worked for a local company called McGard. They make OEM and a/m locking lugnuts and various other security fasteners. At the time, most of the fancy chrome stuff was machined out of hex bar stock. Really good stuff, but not cheap. Point is.. This is what you need if you don't want lug nut swelling.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: BurrWinder
Anyone with half a brain at Chrysler would have realized that after a few tire rotations the chrome plating would start to allow in water (salt water in the winter) which will then cause rust and corrosion under the thin layer of chrome.

Altho other manufacturers are / were guilty of this.. You are giving far too much credit to a company that has lost it's way for quite a long time. As well as brought down the new "partners

BurrWinder

What's the problem? It's a wear item, no warranty. lol Just another line item on the dealer's service bill, a few more bucks of profit for both dealer and manufacturer per service. Rotate the tires, replace a few, ka-ching ka-ching. Why fix what makes money?

Even in the South, two piece lug nuts do this. It doesn't take much water or salt between the cap and the actual nut to cause havoc.

Chryslers do seem to be the worst. I hated doing tire rotations on Chrysler cars when I was wrenching strictly because of this issue...and that's in freaking Alabama. Some cars I'd have to knock every single lug nut out of the socket. 20 times over it gets frustrating. Seemed super common on WJ Grand Cherokees and the big pre-300 FWD cars...LHS or LH or whatever they were called.

Originally Posted By: Miller88

After a few rotations? Snapped 4 or 5 the first time we went to take the off the 08 wrangler when it was brand new!!

Yeah Chrysler/Ram were the absolute worst when I worked in a shop. Guarantee where would be one that was so swollen we might not be able to get it off. There were a few that came in with 10k miles or less and they already started swelling. They were the only make that that ever happened to though.

Originally Posted By: HangFire
Originally Posted By: BurrWinder

BurrWinder

What's the problem? It's a wear item, no warranty. lol Just another line item on the dealer's service bill, a few more bucks of profit for both dealer and manufacturer per service. Rotate the tires, replace a few, ka-ching ka-ching. Why fix what makes money?

This is unfortunately true. While I got the local to give us a few of them free we were billed for the last set of 5.

On the flip side the lug bolts and the nuts on the Expedition are original with no issues whatsoever. BMW takes the rather plain approach of just using black painted steel. The ones on the Expedition are stainless or steel with some nickel content as they've held up for almost 300,000Km with no rust on them.

Originally Posted By: Falken

If you live in Rust Country , [strike]keep the cladded nuts as summer lug nuts[/strike] throw the cladded nuts a very long way away and buy regular lug nuts for actual use.

Fixed that for ya.
smile.gif

General principle in bling-before-brain cases.

'Course, sometimes you'd have to throw the whole car away, which isn't always practical.

Last edited:
Heh Heh a mile back from the ocean. Only one boogered Lug bolt in 19 yrs and 5 BMWs
grin2.gif
The Rat has required 8 of these things so far. Regular plain lug nuts are OK for steelies. The Rat has alloys and requires a tapered contact face. Thats the other thing. They were sold in packs of 4. 1/2 fine thread nuts. I can't think of anything that used 4 lugs since the days of the Falcon or the Chevy II. Maybe soaking them in an oil bath. or pry off the bling and greasing the lug then replacing it.

On my old Saab 9-5, and a couple of others that my wife owned, I periodically replaced the lug nuts, every five years or so. Why run the risk of a broken one or a stuck one on the road. How much could they cost?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back