Ecoboost with Mobil 1 0w40

Status
Not open for further replies.
This oil sample is from my 13' f150 ecoboost . This is the 3rd oil change , previous two were done at 1500 then 6500 miles with Kendal full syn 5w30. This oil change was done with mobil 1 0w40 and changed with 27% left on oil life monitor . I don't tow and mileage is 50/50 town/highway with 3 drag strip passes. My purpose here is to share an oil analysis for a an engine know to be hard on oil . I know it calls for 5w30 , and I'm not worried about the warranty ,so let's not get into all that. It sheared down to a 30 anyway. I like the 0 weight and the extra zddp . ]photobucket[/url]

Still breaking in. Some of the lower viscosity may be due to the 1.5% fuel dilution. I think if i had a di engine i would run a 0w 40 except maybe in winter.

Originally Posted By: spasm3
Still breaking in. Some of the lower viscosity may be due to the 1.5% fuel dilution. I think if i had a di engine i would run a 0w 40 except maybe in winter.

I imagine 0w-40 would only be slightly thicker than the recommended 5w-30 in these engines.

I would like to get some T6 in my parents' Escape. Especially since my parents idle the thin 1/2 hour a day in the winter.

I don't drive much and I put the 0w40 in the late fall last year . It cranked a heck of a lot easier in the bitter cold then with the 5w30 the year before. I think I'll keep changing it when the monitor gets down to the 25% range . Also the 0w40 has had 0 impact on fuel economy. Mpg has actually improved as I've put miles on this engine.

wow it almost went to a 20wt.. I think 0w40 is entirely appropriate. Seems to have quite a bit of fuel dilution which was likely responsible for some of the viscosity loss.

I would definitely recommend a couple more UOA to establish a trend. Maybe try 6000oci for a few OCI to see if the extra wear metals are tailing off from initial breakin, or coming from hard use with the thin oil near the end of the OCI.

How much idling/warm up in the winter? What type of driving in the winter may have an impact on the fuel dilution.

Last edited:
Apprx 10 min idle time in winter (auto start ) but I also only drive it about every other day . I think the fuel dilution is just a characteristic of direct injection . The oil had always smelled gassy even before I added the auto start. I wish I souls had tested the Kendal 5w30 , it drained out really thin and looked very dirty (smelled) with 5k on it .

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
Fuel dilution is also a characteristic of extended warm ups.

Best way to warm up an engine is to drive gently.

Indeed. Show up in certain engines especially DI it seems. Remote start is just too easy, I'd use it too!

That M1 is perfect for this engine in my climate!

I primarily run 93 octane , but used 87 most of the winter. Seems more responsive with 93 but didn't notice any mpg difference with 87 . Truck weighs 6000 lbs with me in it and 3/4 tank of fuel, ran a 15 flat at 92 mph with 87 octane , 3.31 gear and about 80 degrees outside. I would even like to run the 0w40 in my 68 gto but wish it had a bit more zddp.

^^^^I would love to have the D/A for your run to evaluate the ET. Those Eboosters can really run!

Feel good about the ole M1 0W-40. It's right on my cap and has protected my engine at 300 degree sump temps while tracking the car...

I've been wondering what the effect of fuel dilution in motor oil would have on viscosity. So looking up the viscosity of gasoline from various web sources, and using the Widman calculator, I estimate that it would have a viscosity of .48 cSt at 100C, presuming the oil keeps it in a liquid state. (It's a bit past my chemistry knowledge to calculate the viscosity of what is left of gasoline when it is heated to 100C.)

So assuming that the 1.5% fuel dilution is true, and that the gasoline has a viscosity of .48 cSt @100C, and the M1 0w40 has a viscosity of 13.5, a final viscosity of the mixture can be calculated.

(Drum roll, please.)

Widman yields a number of 12.8 cSt with 1.5% fuel dilution in the oil. Since Blackstone got a viscosity of 10.5, there must be some shear occurring.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Quadrajet
I primarily run 93 octane , but used 87 most of the winter. Seems more responsive with 93 but didn't notice any mpg difference with 87 . Truck weighs 6000 lbs with me in it and 3/4 tank of fuel, ran a 15 flat at 92 mph with 87 octane , 3.31 gear and about 80 degrees outside. I would even like to run the 0w40 in my 68 gto but wish it had a bit more zddp.

I think you should stick to 0W40.
Maybe idling is issue here, or short distances to work. I drive DI engines, and in my case, M1 0W40 after 5K stayed at 13.3. I do not idle, and I do have frequent 2hrs trips to ski resorts. Also, once engine breaks in, push it harder.

Nice choice and a good example of why 5w20 just doesn't cut it in these engines.

A HDEO 5w40 might handle the fuel dilution better. Would be interesting to see, but no complaints from me on the M1's performance here.

I poured M1 0w-40 into mine yesterday as well.... Mine will see 5k ocis. This is my first oci with 0w-40.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back