Factory Fill Final Drive Oil. VFR1200F

Status
Not open for further replies.
Changed the oil on this today, 700 miles on it. Came out like Charcoal Gray paint, very dark Gray. I know gear oil stinks, but the smell almost made me vomit. Replaced with golden Brown Valvoline synthetic. I can't imagine going by the manual and leaving that garbage in there for 24k.

Looks and smell is not a good way to determine a maintenance schedule.

Lots of people replace FF fluids with their own personal choices; so I can't blame you there...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: montero1
Changed the oil on this today, 700 miles on it. Came out like Charcoal Gray paint, very dark Gray. I know gear oil stinks, but the smell almost made me vomit. Replaced with golden Brown Valvoline synthetic. I can't imagine going by the manual and leaving that garbage in there for 24k.
Color may be due to moly additive. My experience in any final drive applications never yielded good clean lube. My choice was Mobil 1. It was reasonable and readily available. I have yet to find a gear oil that didn't stink. Higher ambient temperatures didn't help either. Enjoy the ride:)

Originally Posted By: Eddie
Probably an excellent high moly special oil drained out and replaced by a much less quality oil.

I'll be sure to report back when it locks up or catches fire.

grin.gif

Mine came out dark and nasty as well. The Honda 80w90 I replaced it with has a kind of green tint to it.

Originally Posted By: montero1

I'm almost convinced that the Japanese use some kind of fish/whale oil in their gear lubes. The final drive lube in my FJR was really bad smelling, the recommended Yamalube (unique to the FJR and the new V-Max and expensive) did not smell quite as bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back