Rahal no penalty?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why didn't Rahal get a penalty during the race. If you run over an air hose you get called in for at least a drive through penalty.
Rahal drove out of his pit with fuel pouring out of the filler and had two parts from the refueling hose fall onto the track. But Indy Car said hey that's ok we'll look at that stuff after the race. It just seems suspicious.

They needed a Honda to win and totally blew it. What a total joke. Why have rules if you're going to selectively enforce them?

It is time we demand responsibility from the "sanctioning" bodies. It is reasonable expectation that a sanctioning body be fair and balanced. Not giving unfair advantages to drivers/teams on the basis of sponsorships.

I would like to see Congress to subpoena them and have a Congressional hearing!!!

New legislation might be required to make these bodies responsible for their negligence.

Last edited:
Judging by the "crowd" in the stands I don't think anyone cares any longer about open-wheel racing. Too bad, I used to watch it religiously.

Originally Posted By: Vern_in_IL
I would like to see Congress to subpoena them and have a Congressional hearing!!!

Yeah, just what we need. A Federal government that completely screws up everything it touches, to get involved in automobile racing.

Originally Posted By: Chris Meutsch
Judging by the "crowd" in the stands I don't think anyone cares any longer about open-wheel racing. Too bad, I used to watch it religiously.

It's because most of the people in attendance today would no a good race if they saw one. Most go there to get drunk, see a good wreck, and eyeball girls in short pants. The race tracks, (both open wheel and NASCAR), have become nothing more than a place to throw a party. NASCAR still attracts big crowds, but it's become more of an "event" than racing. Much like the WWF or WWE, or whatever they call themselves there days.

Originally Posted By: billt460

Yeah, just what we need. A Federal government that completely screws up everything it touches, to get involved in automobile racing.

How do you propose we fix this problem? Nascar(BIG OFFENDER) F1, NHRA to some extent.(remember Darrell Alderman and Scott Geoffrion) there seems to be NO checks or balances.... They are just running off with whatever money they are given.

Time to make the sanctioning bodies responsible, and stop the "legal cheating" they are conducting.

Last edited:

How do you propose we fix this problem? Nascar(BIG OFFENDER) F1, NHRA to some extent.(remember Darrell Alderman and Scott Geoffrion) there seems to be NO checks or balances.

What does any of it have to do with bringing in the Federal government? I mean come on for God's sake! What about boxing and the NFL? Are you going to bring them in on that as well? The Federal government couldn't find it's a$$ with both hands, and you want them to "solve" the problems associated with auto racing?

You've had this type of thing in the past. You have it now. And you will continue to have it in the future. If the IRL and NASCAR can't police themselves, do you honestly think Congress can do anything? Formula1 is regulated by the FIA, an international sanctioning body. They are headquartered in Europe. Our country has nothing to do with them. Look at what the government has done to the health care industry in just 3 years. And now you want them to take a crack at auto racing?

Nothing like getting a job with the government. Not only can you not get fired, you can fail over and over, and people are still foolish enough to keep lining up to give you work. Unbelievable!

Originally Posted By: Reggaemon
Why didn't Rahal get a penalty during the race. If you run over an air hose you get called in for at least a drive through penalty.
Rahal drove out of his pit with fuel pouring out of the filler and had two parts from the refueling hose fall onto the track. But Indy Car said hey that's ok we'll look at that stuff after the race. It just seems suspicious.

Who on earth do they have as race stewards? I said when they announced that it would be reviewed later there was something wrong going on. It is quite ridiculous for there to be no penalty.

There is yet another factor in play here. Rahal himself did nothing wrong. The whole incident was the result of a brain lapse by the fuel man. (He never should have tried to reinsert the fuel hose).

Perhaps the IRL is looking into their options of levying a penalty that will hurt the team in general, more than it hurts Rahal personally, seeing as he did nothing wrong. That is fairer than punishing him personally by taking away any chance for a win by giving him a drive through, or whatever.

Yes, all the Honda and Rahal haters won't agree with that, but that in itself means nothing. The fact of the matter is he drove his heart out on that track for 500 miles. And in the process did nothing wrong. They didn't interfere with that. What they do after the fact won't effect what he did on the track yesterday. Which was drive a brilliant race.

All the open wheel sanctioning bodies, be they IRL, FIA (Formula 1), and even NASCAR operate this way. It happens all the time. They reserve the right to penalize the driver during the race, or the team in general, (which the driver is part of), AFTER. In Rahal's case they made the proper call. What they do remains to be seen. But whatever it is, it won't effect what he himself did yesterday, or should it.

Hello, When Vern said, "I would like to see Congress to subpoena them and have a Congressional hearing!!!
New legislation might be required to make these bodies responsible for their negligence." I thought he was kidding.

When Congress railed against baseball I believe the investigable issue was that interstate drug trafficking and use was blatantly apparent if not fostered by the game.
That's not to say grandstanding was not involved.

In the recent FIFA scandal money laundering was the crime which was investigated and charted over years.
People were indicted. Banks in different countries were scrutinized too.

Congress wouldn't ever be involved with, say, NFL footballs being deflated or litter on a race course.

Back in the fifties the "Game Show Scandal" issue was untruthfulness being broadcast over the publicly owned airwaves.
All those idiots who produced game shows had to do was say that any game show was an entertainment product.
Providing answers ahead of time was simply handing a script to the contestants.
Today the disclaimer in every game show's credits reflects that. Kira

Originally Posted By: Whitewolf
I would have thought that it's a team issue. Unsafe release where I come from.

I agree. However the fact Rahal did not go until he was motioned to, "proved" it was not his doing. Had he left on his own, before being released by the right front tire changer, then it's almost certain he would have been given a drive through.

In this case there will most likely be a fine, and possibly a grid penalty in the next race. Which is fair.

We need a new sanctioning body for Congress.

Originally Posted By: Kira
Hello, When Vern said, "I would like to see Congress to subpoena them and have a Congressional hearing!!!
New legislation might be required to make these bodies responsible for their negligence." I thought he was kidding.

When Congress railed against baseball I believe the investigable issue was that interstate drug trafficking and use was blatantly apparent if not fostered by the game.
That's not to say grandstanding was not involved.

In the recent FIFA scandal money laundering was the crime which was investigated and charted over years.
People were indicted. Banks in different countries were scrutinized too.

Congress wouldn't ever be involved with, say, NFL footballs being deflated or litter on a race course.

Back in the fifties the "Game Show Scandal" issue was untruthfulness being broadcast over the publicly owned airwaves.
All those idiots who produced game shows had to do was say that any game show was an entertainment product.
Providing answers ahead of time was simply handing a script to the contestants.
Today the disclaimer in every game show's credits reflects that. Kira

I was not kidding, and those are really good points you bring up. I seriously doubt these sanctioning bodies are squeaky clean when it comes to money laundering. Based on their performance to regulate the sports in a professional manner.. it takes the President of IndayCar to promise a penalty after the fact?.... a promise......

Last edited:
Which part of entertainment do you not get?

Next, you going to gripe about all the dramatization of "reality" TV shows?

Look, if any teams or drivers are unhappy, they can go race somewhere else.

Rod

But at least it would make the national news for a few months. IndyCar needs national exposure.

Kit car racing is boring.

They should have a formula where there is a minimum weight, some safety regulations and a restricter plate for say, 600 horse power. Then let them run any engine and any open wheel configuration. Then we'd see some interesting cars and some real racing.

They might even attract new sponsors and a lot of new fans.

Originally Posted By: Chris Meutsch

Exactly. I was going to comment on the small audience in attendance. I wouldn't flatter it by calling it a crowd. I'd be surprised if it was more than 3000 people. Hopefully the TV ratings are better. I watched the race from start to finish and it was exciting, with a record number of lead changes for an Indy car race.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back