720p vs 1080p LED TVs

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have both in different rooms. I don't see the differences in them but, I've retired and maybe my eyes have too!
laugh.gif

It really depends on how big your screen is. Past a certain size and you will be able to see a difference. And that threshold is different for everybody.

Will you be watching broadcast channels on either cable or satellite? If yes, you will be getting 720p from ABC-ESPN-FOX...and you will see 1080i from NBC-PBS-CBS...because that's what they do and it isn't likely to change any time soon because the bandwidth to deliver more just isn't there. I think some pay-per-view is available in 1080p from DirectTV, but I don't know about Dish. Someone else will have to chime in about DVDs.

That said, unless you are pinching pennies or planning on low viewing time I wouldn't even bother with a 720p set, especially if you are looking for something 46 inch or larger.

GrtArtiste

What size tv and what will it be used for and amount of time used.? but honestly I would worry more about what tv in your price range handles motion blur and gives you the deepest blacks and strongest color accuracy

I work in broadcast TV and a 720p 32" is just fine for my home use. Go "ghetto big" and the compression artifacts are just too visible/ annoying. There is software that smooths this, but it can't restore detail that was never there. (When I watch cable/ satellite and its over-compressed video I want to be sick, even 20 feet away. The 19.2 mbit/s MPEG2 of broadcast looks great by comparison.)

The potential nice thing about a 1080 is if you hook your computer to it and use it as a monitor (or play back via USB in) for slideshows etc and get more static detail.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
the compression artifacts are just too visible/ annoying. There is software that smooths this, but it can't restore detail that was never there. (When I watch cable/ satellite and its over-compressed video I want to be sick, even 20 feet away. The 19.2 mbit/s MPEG2 of broadcast looks great by comparison.)

yeah I can't stand that to the point that we still have a CRT in our living room as Ive not been able to justify the cost to see that garbage, given what little tv we watch...

Originally Posted By: Olas
Only with 20/20 vision viewing a very hi fidelity source signal, sitting about 18-24 inches away.

Otherwise, nope.

Ha, that's not even close to true.

Just get 1080p and be a little futureproof plenty of deals out there.

unless you are talking about plasma tv then a 720p version is still better for sports than the cheaper 1080p lcd led

btw: LED isnt a type of tv that is the backlighting type.

its LCD TV w/led backlight (vs CCD backlight)

to farther confuse you there is edgelit and full array LED types as well.

Edgelit is worse. Many of the smarter sets can dim the full ARRAY led backlighting in sections to make the contrast ratio better

Maybe just post up what you are looking for and we can pick apart how good/value/deal etc they are.

I love my 42" 1080p panasonic plasma its really good for sports.
Positives: Great for sports, crisp image, longevity has been great so far.

negatives: power usage.. esp on full brightness it can approach 300w, on "default settings" which is ok for night use it uses 150w about double a 55" Lcd w/led
-Can be dim in bright room
-excess heat have to manually adjust the badly placed home thermostat that's in that corner.
-Shiny screen can be a distracting mirror if placement of lights/windows is not good.

By contrast the 55" Vizio M series at the parents house

Took a massive amount of fiddling with settings to fix the TV to reasonable image.

It is a great tv . When not setup correctly it looks fake oversmooth with weird colors.
The backlit full keyboard double sided remote is quite nice in a dark room as well.

Is brighter, bigger, uses at most half the power, has built in netflix etc that actually work good.
Is more complicated has different modes for different types of shows to get the best performance.. ie one for SOAPS, one for action shows, one for sports.

The vizio M series Lcd w/ full array led is better in every way than my panasonic plasma except sports in a darker room and simplicity.

Last edited:
Let's see, "3D" kinda flopped, curved screens are smoldering, what will the Asian giants try to sell us next in the way of "gottahavit" new technology?

Still loving my 7 year old DLP TV.....720 looks pretty darn good to me.. I'll just keep replacing those bulbs...

I do need a 32-40 for our 15 year old panasonic tube downstairs...and 1080 is as cheap as 720 anyways here. Not planning to spend too much since we really don't watch that much TV anyways.....

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Let's see, "3D" kinda flopped, curved screens are smoldering, what will the Asian giants try to sell us next in the way of "gottahavit" new technology?

built in stuff sounds like it's next.....

4K is the next big thing. There's no content available, so at this point it's just a waste of $$.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
4K is the next big thing. There's no content available, so at this point it's just a waste of $$.

Also not true...

We have 2 Sharp LCD 1080P TV 46" and 52" we bought about 8-9 years ago. Both are working well so I don't plan to upgrade anytime soon.

I watch some news each night and may be some movie 2-3 times a month.

52" is fairly big if you sit about 5-6 feet from it.

So the only TV's that look measurably better for me is the new 4k Tv's with true 4k content playing on them.

I have a 50 inch Changhong $200 LED TV and it looks the same as any other HD set I have looked at.

I also have a 40 inch Insigna $149 Best Buy special TV in the bedroom that looks ok as well.

We have directv, and the picture is fine. Bluray looks better.

4k looks amazing, can't wait a few years for it to catch on.

Originally Posted By: JustinH
So the only TV's that look measurably better for me is the new 4k Tv's with true 4k content playing on them.

I have a 50 inch Changhong $200 LED TV and it looks the same as any other HD set I have looked at.

I also have a 40 inch Insigna $149 Best Buy special TV in the bedroom that looks ok as well.

We have directv, and the picture is fine. Bluray looks better.

4k looks amazing, can't wait a few years for it to catch on.

Curious...what 4K content have you seen that looks so nice?

Not knowing what 4K content might be in the future...I can't imagine being dissatisfied with the 720p/1080i channels I currently have using my 2010 Samsung LCDs.

GrtArtiste

A few years from now flat screens will be on the way out, virtual reality programing and goggles will blow us away.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back