Looking to get a first dirtbike.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have looked, sat and researched more on the Hondas first and foremost.
That means I'm kinda leaning towards their CRF series. I will not do much jumping and dirt tracks I am wanting one for goofing off around the farm and on trails so a trail bike. I like having both feet being able to be planted on the ground at stand still just because. So the 150f and 125f big wheel are really the two in looking at considering getting within 6mths or less.

I test drove, well borrowed a friend's son smaller bike and loved it. It was the best weekend on two wheels I have ever had I must say.

A four speed is perfectly fine for me as a five would be too much I would think for me as I am not really wanting one to go faster than I am comfortable with. I am merely looking for a bike to ride around the farm to check on anything that I don't want to take the truck or atv to.

A bike with just the kickstarter is fine with me as a push button is just luxury. It's a dirt bike, right?

And to clarify I rather pay for something a little under powered than too much for what I can handle safely for now.

I bet I can somehow find someone on Craigslist, or cycletrader.com to sell it to eventually if I ever would want to get rid of it?

Out the door from the local dealer for the 125f big wheel, I hope it was because I really didn't triple check was in the ballpark of $3,200. Should I save up and get new or should I really need to find a bike in great shape used from someone than did not run the shat out of it?

The 150f I was kinda tip toing. But the 125f I would be much more comfortable controlling for my uses.

No jumping other than the occasional hay field terrace and such, not big air dirt track jumps.

Thoughts? And what direction should I be looking for a decent bike? Honda or yamaha preferably. Kawasaki if it's a heck of a deal.

I liked the metal skid plate of these past two years of CRFs

Oh, I'm not but 5'9 so a talker bike like the 230 would be to big for me right now until I got comfortable with the 125-150 size bikes. Understand?

Thanks so much. The advice on these forums are great so that's why I am asking here. Because most of you know your _ _ _ _ about anything.

Last edited:
The only issue with your suggestion is the letter F.

Change CRF for CR, a 125 will be enough to start with but you'll want more quite soon. Get a CR250 and it'll support you as your riding improves.

IMO a 4 cyl 4 stroke motor doesn't make sense until 600+ CCs in a road bike frame.

Once you've ridden a CR250 your perspective will change.

A CR 250 for a 1st dirt bike?
Yeah, his perspective will change all right!
I think you are overestimating our friend from Mobile.

Southernjeeper, Your going to improve rapidly, and sooner than later wish
for better handling than a beginner bike will provide.

I would like to see the two strokes make a comeback.
My next and likely last, will be a 300 KTM, which will
end up costing $35,000.
Why?

Because I can't buy anything for myself without my
kids in their 30s wanting one too.

A 2-stroke for Southernjeeper?....150 KTM XC. Final answer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: used_0il
A CR 250 for a 1st dirt bike?
Yeah, his perspective will change all right!
I think you are overestimating our friend from Mobile.

Southernjeeper, Your going to improve rapidly, and sooner than later wish
for better handling than a beginner bike will provide.

I'm not over-estimating him, just working on the premise that you only go as fast as your throttle position permits.. Crack WOT in anything and you might be in for a surprise, be sensible and you'll be just fine.

And like you said, you imrove quickly and want more capability out of your machine quickly, and it's nice to have something at supports you as you learn. I feel safer with a vehicle when I know it's capabilities far exceed my own - that way it's very unlikely I'll push it outside of its envelope where bad things are more likely to happen.

No need to go on the road ever? Like with an enduro? Yeah, with a full 'dirt' bike you could be on the smallish side, with a enduro type a bit larger. Our Son started with a CRF-80, now at 19 uses a Yamaha 250 enduro.

In my stable I have a Suzuki DR-650 and a fairly new Honda CB-1100.

You can look locally to see what Cycletrader.com and Craigslist have to offer. I wouldn't buy someone's abused trash though. Much depends on the type of riding YOU plan to do. I wouldn't jump to far ahead, but I also wouldn't get something you'll out grow in 3 months.

I've been riding dirt bikes from age 7. I'm now 51. The conventional wisdom is to start out small and move up, as your skills improve.

However, figuratively speaking, today's beginner 125's have morphed to 4stroke 250's. And, they are heavier and more powerful than 125's of yesterday. So the adult beginner bike really is a 250F (four stroke) and it can be a bit much for some. Even so, they are good to learn on and really not that powerful.

The problem with many of the lesser, play bikes is poor suspension. One can't learn how to ride properly on suspension with less than about 10 inches of travel.

It's my opinion that good suspension and light weight are a MUST for any new rider.

I'm 5 foot 10 and I ride open class two strokes. My current bike is a KTM 380 EXC and it's down on power.

KTM.JPG

I would still suggest a 2 stroke 125cc bike (or even a KTM 150 two stroke) for a newbie. They are very light, and therefore easy to manage. If you go this route, make sure to get one in very good shape, with a healthy engine. If you need, you can lower the forks in the clamps and set the rear spring preload a bit lower until you gain skill.

Oh, and motocross boots help quite a bit with the height, IMHO.

Last edited:
I use to buy, fix and flip bikes years ago to make money before people started looking online for used bikes. I hope your not giving Honda a preference assuming it will be more reliable. The data gives that award to Yamaha and it doesn't matter as all four Japanese bike makers are neck and neck. You might be holding yourself out on the bike that suits you best? Maybe the Honda suits you best?
Most people don't look at off-road and MX bikes and expect to flat foot while seated. It's holding your selection back to bikes suited to 12 year olds.

I think you will get bored with the power on the 125F quickly. This is more a trail bike, not a MX bike like the old CR125 2-strokes of the old days. My wife is 5' 9" and had never ridden anything before and I bought her a CRF 230F and she is fine on it. I like riding it myself but it is extremely tame compared to my CR250 so I can only imagine how that 125 would be.

I wouldn't worry about the seat height much, this is a dirt bike not a street bike where you will be putting your feet down a lot. Like skyactiv said, you are looking at kids bikes that have power for a 90-120 lb rider. I'd seriously look at some other bikes before getting the 125F.

Last edited:
As a farm and trail bike, I don't know that you can do better than a Yamaha TW200. They have been around since '87 with only one major change (disk brake front and lost the kickstarter in 2001). Lots of used ones around.
They are low and easy to ride. They are also street legal if you want to do a short hop to a riding area.
Fun for following cow paths through the woods and will go up hills great.

Originally Posted By: svhanc
As a farm and trail bike, I don't know that you can do better than a Yamaha TW200. They have been around since '87 with only one major change (disk brake front and lost the kickstarter in 2001). Lots of used ones around.
They are low and easy to ride. They are also street legal if you want to do a short hop to a riding area.

Very good recommendation. Also has a headlight if needed.

Originally Posted By: Olas
The only issue with your suggestion is the letter F.

Change CRF for CR, a 125 will be enough to start with but you'll want more quite soon. Get a CR250 and it'll support you as your riding improves.

IMO a 4 cyl 4 stroke motor doesn't make sense until 600+ CCs in a road bike frame.

Once you've ridden a CR250 your perspective will change.

^^This 100%

I had a Yamaha DT175 and it was really wimpy. My next bike was a Honda CR500 and that thing was a BEAST!! Get a 250cc minimum or you will regret it.

Sit on a Yamaha TW200. I think this would be a good beginner bike for the riding you want to do. Have fun.

Originally Posted By: svhanc

This was the first bike I thought of. When I was an MSF instructor, they were my favorite bikes to demo on.

A KDX200 is always a good choice too. If they have stock exhaust they're quieter than most four stroke bikes. For a first bike I would avoid buying new. Lots of good used ones available with very low hours.

Originally Posted By: Shrubitup
A KDX200 is always a good choice too. If they have stock exhaust they're quieter than most four stroke bikes. For a first bike I would avoid buying new. Lots of good used ones available with very low hours.

Ah, yes. I forgot about the mighty KDX 200/220. Both much the same bike, one with a touch more torque.

They are great choices, light weight, reliable as can be, cheap to purchase and own, and they can satisfy even the most hard core dirt bike rider. I love 'em!!!!!

Sometimes you can find a KDX with a "TAG" or licence plate. They have very mellow power, but they are not "down on power". Just very easy to manage.

05KawasakiKDX220R_vid.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Cujet
Originally Posted By: Shrubitup

Ah, yes. I forgot about the mighty KDX 200/220. Both much the same bike, one with a touch more torque.

They are great choices, light weight, reliable as can be, cheap to purchase and own, and they can satisfy even the most hard core dirt bike rider. I love 'em!!!!!

Sometimes you can find a KDX with a "TAG" or licence plate. They have very mellow power, but they are not "down on power". Just very easy to manage.

05KawasakiKDX220R_vid.jpg

I'd forgotten about those. The KDX200 has an insane poweband! Plus it's a full sized bike. I've ridden on various 125's and they feel like children's bikes,no low end torque. The KDX200 has plenty of low end torque.

Okay okay okay all your input has gotten me thinking. The bike I first had "a great time" riding was indeed a smaller bike for a kid but even for its size and maneuverability I was okay with it.

I didn't think about KTM as I have a great friend that bought a '99 for a great deal several months back because the previous owner didn't know what he was doing when doing some engine work on it. 4 valve 2stroke I don't really know with his but I do know his is a 600 or 900. If that is what they could be.

I see the pic of the ktm 150xc that one of you mentioned. I'll look into that.

The yamaha TW250? I'll look at that to.

I'm not doing any dirt tracks, racing or drag racing anyone. Because heck I just want a bike like I said that can go 30mph to 45mph on country roads, dirt roads, and through the woods kinda trail blazing at 1st or second gear. I don't need high end gearing but more lower end.

Dirt bike to some of you is more into getting into thinking I want a dirt track bike... HECK NO!!! I have always wanted a bike and since goofing off on a kid sized bike which was I must admit the 70 crf that Honda has I was hooked on wanting one to get around a farm setting a running short errands no more than 8miles away or less just to locals that are friends of mine.

I don't need overkill. Because even though I might out grow a smaller bike in skill. I rather have that skill on a small manageable bike than a bigger one that I can hurt myself on because of the torque they have ... But it's not a matter of "if it's when a tumble or incident happens". The brother of the guy that has the KTM has a prosethic (however you spell that) from his knee down right leg due to a street bike accident from when he was 23. He's now in his 40s and does quite well.

But back to my current needs a 250 or less would be a better bet for me. I was just comfortable sitting on the 125 size and okay with the 150s of yamaha and Honda offers the other weekend at a dealer. As for finding someone with a bike of those sizes y'all mentioned that would be a great start for me that's when it will cost me more out of my pocket more than I really want to by the end of summer or so.

So Ktm 250xc , the yamaha TW200 and the two Hondas the 150f and the one that I'm okay with getting for my liking would be the 125 big wheel version.. Still small but agile in what my riding environment would be around here.

And whoever said mobile? Your wrong. A bit north from there by 3hrs.

So all in all if I took a poll. Which bike should I really be considering having in our family barn or at my house one day way down south for weekend excursions?

Like I said everyone's advice is very much appreciated.

So a lighter 2 stroke for my needs would be better than a small four stroke?

I realize suspension has a great deal in choosing too. So to admit this I'm LESS than 6' and a buck 65-70. So not much weight squatting the bike down lol

If sitting in the bike with an adjustable suspension for the rear spring I guess would suit be as a starter then could adjust it more for when my skill gets better so I won't have to sell and buy another.

KDX? Never heard of those? Where are they generally made or originated from.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back