how often change PCV valve?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Never. Why? because the motor in my last pickup, a 5.3L 1500 Silverado, and my 2015 6.0L 2500HD Silverado don't have a PCV valves, but a port in the valve cover that the hose hooks up to. Nothing to replace. No valve, no spring in the port, nothing. Now that being said, I put on a oil catch can on both of these pickups to trap oil and crud coming thru the PCV line. Amazing what those have caught and how much.

Unless there's oil consumption I wouldn't, just clean it. Changed the one on the Escape and oil leaks started after. I could be full of it but makes sense in my mind. Increased pressure more likely to gasket issue's.

Originally Posted By: Eric Smith
Unless there's oil consumption I wouldn't, just clean it. Changed the one on the Escape and oil leaks started after. I could be full of it but makes sense in my mind. Increased pressure more likely to gasket issue's.

So you are saying you think there is increased valvetrain air pressure with a properly operating valve? I see just the opposite on my 1MZ-FE, if the PCV valve is clogged you start seeing oil leaks at the breather hose and the valve covers.

What would be the difference between a clean valve and a new one?

Why do you want to change a perfectly working part, even it costs only $5 ?

While you're at it why don't change all the fuses ? Each fuse costs less than $1 !

Schedule maintenance and wear and tear items is one thing, working parts without problem is another.

Originally Posted By: fpracha
Hi, is it easy to change out the PCV valve ?
Can someone please guide to where is the PCV located in the Toyota Corolla 2009 and how to remove it ? Thanks!

Driver side near firewall as shown in this picture.

Toyota-Corolla-PCV-Valve-Replacement-Guide-008.jpg

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Why do you want to change a perfectly working part, even it costs only $5 ?

While you're at it why don't change all the fuses ? Each fuse costs less than $1 !

Schedule maintenance and wear and tear items is one thing, working parts without problem is another.

....because there's no visible indicator or test you can run to determine the wear/tear of the spring mechanism within the valve...hence the PM recommended @ 100k miles or so....

Originally Posted By: Lubener
Originally Posted By: oilmaven
I bought a new PCV for my 1999 Mercury Villager. The valve is located behind the engine and involves removing a bunch of parts to replace...a real PITA. I haven't tackled it yet and my mechanic said it was an hour worth of labor for him to do it. My understanding is that if the oil was changed frequently the valve usually holds up a long time (previous owner changed the oil every 3,000 miles or less). I'm putting off replacing it for now.

Some PCV's have a spring in them which weakens and breaks. 1999 is a long time for a PCV. I would change it along with the grommet.

Still have the original PCV valve on my 83 Silverado, I spray it out with GUMOUT carb cleaner every 2 yrs when my smog test comes up, spring is in great shape
thumbsup2.gif

If you do a lot of highway miles and regularly get everything up to temp, use quality oil and reasonable OCI, the PCV valve and plumbing can last a long time. If you don't they can get nasty and clogged pretty quickly. We have had cars that had PCV systems useless in less than 40k miles.

There are also some designs that are prone to failure.

I inspect and clean them every 50,000 miles. If they don't rattle then they get replaced. For your valve seals try some maxlife 5w30

Last edited:
I have never replaced one since the early 80's. Just clean it every 30-50k. They don't go bad unless you have some serious blowby and even then, they just need a shot of carb cleaner. Total waste of money and time to replace it.

the spring on a PVC is about the least stressed and undergoes the least amount of movement a spring can do. That and its bathed in oil vapor so it cannot rust. Trust me, the spring does not fail. And unless the new one is OEM quality, most likely, it will not be as good as what your taking out. Like one poster said, just because it's just $5 does not mean you should replace it. Your Kinnebler Pin is only $2 and we don't replace them...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Quest
Originally Posted By: engineer20
Do you know anything about engine blowby? My engine on my camry or the tailpipe emits a bluish whitish smoke on startup and I heard it was due to blowby, but your analysis said my oil was fine and didn't see any contaminants like fuel or water or coolant, right? It doesn't smoke on startup every time, esp when I drive it, but when it sits for a few days, like 3 days or more or like a week, it will emit the smoke. Is this normal for a 12 year old engine with 158k miles, or is this something or great concern that I should have looked at ASAP by a mechanic? Thanks.

Granted that your PCV valve is functioning properly, then first puff of blue smoke 1st thing in the morning is valve stem seal/valve stem clearance related, and nothing to do with blowby.

I'd take the former more than the latter, for I've seen/dealt with valve stem seal issues on many cars as the mileage creeps up.

if yours don't consume much, might as well leave them alone. Camry, or many twin-cam DOHC 16valve (4cyl) or 24 valve (4valves/cyl) tends to take quite a bit of time to do valve steam seals.
Q.

How can one figure out with 100% certainty that the oil consumption is due to the PCV valve issue only (specially when there is zero oil stains in the engine bay , exhaust has not smoke visible and the exhaust has no signs of burnt oil) ?

i know my 03 camry has a pcv valve but i heard the 09 taurus v6 doesn't have a serviceable one according to the dealer and mechanic, is that right? and a 2015 nissan rogue sv awd also doesn't have a serviceable pcv valve, right?

is it okay if you drop things by accident into your crankcase? i accidentally draopped a powerbait nugget into my taurus crankcase today (gasp!) i tried to fish it out but couldnt, do i have to change the oil now, or should the oil filter be able to filter it out or have a mechanic fish it out? am i done for?

drove the car for an hour, about 30+ miles
car ran fine, maybe it will just dissolve and changing the oil will fix everything? or will it go to the oil filter?

Originally Posted By: KitaCam
For most people/cars, changing the $5 part would take less time than it would take to read this thread....

You guys live in consumer's paradise! Here in Finland the Nissan dealer wants about 40-50 euros for the original plastic PCV valve. Ouch!

So, that's why I'm not planning to change my PCV valve "just in case".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back