SOOT in my TGMO, never noticed before?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I took a few samples on my Toyota Camry 2103 2.5L over the past few years and 35k miles and the results came back normal. So I had about a quarts worth of used oil (5k) 0-W20 from the car on a shelf. I picked it up and saw soot at the bottom. What's up. Is that actually normally in suspension and grindin throught the motor!? I've never ever looked at used oil in a clear container before settled.

By-products of combustion.

This is the result of detergents in oil that neutralizes acidic by-products and keep suspended. You just it settle out.

Normal sludge/soot settling

Wouldn't be there if running a bypass filter

But don't worry, just believe the automaker that all will be fine, and sing kumbayah while holding hands with those against oil changes

What oil filter?

Originally Posted By: Greasymechtech

But don't worry, just believe the automaker that all will be fine, and sing kumbayah while holding hands with those against oil changes

What oil filter?

Is that trolling or just over-dramatization/sarcasm?

Leave any used oil (At least, used oil used for a reasonable OCI) sitting still in a container for a month or 12, and you will see the same thing on the bottom of the container. Gravity at work, on byproducts of combustion.

Do the same with used motorcycle oil with a shared transmission.
Then with the factory fill of your next new vehicle after a thousand miles.
The UOAs will tell you the oil is good, but a picture says a thousand words.
So....The Kumbayah post nailed it in one word.

And thus I change my oil every 5k as some would say "needlessly" . I spend more a year on car washes and candy at a movie theater so I rationalize my unneeded oil changes that way.
wink.gif

I've know some people, who after draining their motor oil and gear oil, let the old oil sit in a clear container until the particulate matter settles, then punch a few small holes in the bottom of the container to let the metal and black particles drain out of the container. They then stain the "clean oil" through some gauze cheesecloth for use as top off oil.

These are not the tree hugger people but truly obsessive compulsive people about saving some loose change.

I'm talking about gallons of oil and not a quart.

Originally Posted By: Greasymechtech

What oil filter?

Following the manufacturer's recommendations is a proven way for oil related engine failure to never be the end of a vehicle's useful life. Perfectionists may want to see that bit of scud removed without the need to change oil. But.....In the conservative view, that stuff will never cause an issue, if removed by reasonable length OCIs.

Maybe you can double the OCI with bypass filteration.....But you will not be simplifying maintenance required. And.....You are on your own, in an area not explored by the manufacturer's engineering department.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mongo161
I've know some people, who after draining their motor oil and gear oil, let the old oil sit in a clear container until the particulate matter settles, then punch a few small holes in the bottom of the container to let the metal and black particles drain out of the container. They then stain the "clean oil" through some gauze cheesecloth for use as top off oil.

These are not the tree hugger people but truly obsessive compulsive people about saving some loose change.

I'm talking about gallons of oil and not a quart.

You'd get much more contamination out with a 1 micron filter bag

http://www.amazon.com/Micron-Singed-Polyester-Filter-PESP3S/dp/B004F9GXG2

They also have a 1/2 micron bag but the price goes up quickly making it cost prohibitive to save money straining oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back