Will gun oil or grease soften polymer frames?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just wondering if gun lubes will have any effect on the polymer frames in modern firearms over time? Any ideas out there?

I would stick to mainstream products and check out what is approved by the manufacturer to clean and lube the firearm.

I would use mainstream products from Hoppe's and Remington.

Most "polymer" frames are a version of Nylon (polyamide) and are very chemical resistant. The same materials are used in engines as gears, oil pans, intake manifolds, gaskets, etc.

Originally Posted By: Doog
Just wondering if gun lubes will have any effect on the polymer frames in modern firearms over time? Any ideas out there?

Short answer...No

I use a home brew of Ed's Red...one part odorless mineral spirits, one part kerosene, 1 part ATF. No problem.

I looked into this many many years ago.
The only thing that I could find a "warning" to was wearing a glock in a really hot "Hot Tub".
A Sauna you would be ok, but the hot tub with the immersion in similar temps could distort the plastic parts.

Boiling the frame will soften it.
However, once it cools down it will harden right back up.

Other than that you can use just about anything to clean the plastics that are used.
Break cleaner and motor oil has been used forever in many 1st world countries that are on a budget, or training those from developing nations.

Pretty is what pretty does.

A really hot hot tub is right around 100 degrees. I'd be shocked if that affected a poly frame.

Poly frames have been around for a while. I haven't seen any damaged from normal use.

Does anyone know what type of polymer is used?

Originally Posted By: Whitewolf

Does anyone know what type of polymer is used?

Glocks are made of nylon 6

Anyone who hasn't tried MPro7... Stuff gets it really clean and you can clean your gun while eating, no foul odors. I use both the cleaner and oil products, even use the MPro7 oil on my Leatherman multi tool.

There are a few cleaners that caution about at least some polymers. Read the label(s) to see whether the one you're interested in has such a caution.

Originally Posted By: bulwnkl
There are a few cleaners that caution about at least some polymers. Read the label(s) to see whether the one you're interested in has such a caution.

I know the old formula of Birchwood Casey gun scrubber was "Not safe for synthetics". I had seen some people melt some plastic trigger housings on lower end rifles and shotguns with it.

But a modern high quality polymer should be impervious to the normal off the shelf gun lubes. The one thing that will screw up even the best polymers is UV exposure.

Originally Posted By: bulwnkl

I checked the G96 website and it says their gun treatment and synthetic oil are safe for polymers The TW25b labels says "generally harmless to plastics and composite parts".

I think if there were any solvents, greases, or other cleaners that attack the material used in the manufacture of Glock's, they would have surfaced by now, and Glock would have warned customers about them. The pistol has been around since the 80's.

well....I emailed the tech support people at G96 and they responded back that their gun treatment and synthetic gun oil are both safe to use with polymer firearm components. I just didn't want to open my gun case after a year and see a puddle of plastic with a SS barrel sticking out of it...
shocked2.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: billt460
I think if there were any solvents, greases, or other cleaners that attack the material used in the manufacture of Glock's, they would have surfaced by now, and Glock would have warned customers about them. The pistol has been around since the 80's.

They might not know about everything that could be a risk. There was for instance a study and a subsequent paper by Lubrizol about Nylon compatibility with ATF (I can't find the reference right now). Now I'm not suggesting that ATF is a good gun lube but given that some folks here are not frightened to experiment it is perhaps wise to be a little cautious.

Originally Posted By: Whitewolf
They might not know about everything that could be a risk. There was for instance a study and a subsequent paper by Lubrizol about Nylon compatibility with ATF (I can't find the reference right now). Now I'm not suggesting that ATF is a good gun lube but given that some folks here are not frightened to experiment it is perhaps wise to be a little cautious.

I've been using ATF and Mobil 1 on my Glock's ever since I had them. Zero issues. My new 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee has the new Chrysler ZF 8-Speed automatic. It's got a plastic oil pan. And the fluid that goes in it comes in plastic bottles. As does the ATF I use on my Glock's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back