Any benefit to 75w-140 in big bore ATV?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there any benefit in using 75w-140 in lieu of 75w-90 in a big bore ATV? In just seems to me that the diff on my Sportsman 850 is a bit small for the 77HP twin. I'm thinking shock load protection. Would it do more harm than good? Of course this would be a summer only lube for me, it's been mid 80's here lately. I currently have Delvac 75w-90 in it.

On the undersized Honda S2000 differentials, the prevailing wisdom is to go with synthetic 75W-140 instead of the thinner stuff. It seems to be the solution. I would guess that a powerful ATV with an undersized differential would be subject to the same kinds of heavy loads. This might necessitate a heavy duty fluid.

Doesn't polaris call for their demand drive fluid in that front diff? If they do its a 5w weight hydraulic oil. They use oil that thin because the awd is triggered by magnet in the front diff. Although, I am using 75w-90 in my rzr because the front ring and pinion are straight cut gears and they are loud as heck with the stock fluid in. Hasn't had any issues yet, though I've only had the gear lube in for 150 miles this summer.

But if your front diff is not the same then I guess it doesn't matter.

Though popo uses the 5w oil in the front diff of the rzr XP 1000 which is 110 hp and weighs ~1400lbs.

Thanks all for the advise.

SRT20, makes sense, RZR=more power, more weight, more diff stress.

With that in mind, I have crossed 250 mi on the ODO and changed to gear oil with the same Delvac 75W90. No deposits on the magnet this time and no glossy contact patches on gears yet.

I can sleep better.

BTW this machine hauls the mail, so far personal best top speed is 79 MPH (GPS) on level ground along the Alaskan pipeline. I will not try again, only did this twice. I usually cruise at 30 to 40 MPH. Big difference on climbs too compared to my buddy's 750 Bruteforce, "this machine doesn't know it's climbing," his words.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back