Craftsman reversible ratcheting wrenches?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Saw a set today, looked unused. 8,10,12,13,14,15,17,18mm. 8 wrenches for $50. Any good? I would like a set of the ratcheting wrenches for disc brakes (mostly) but I am not sure if these are good or not. I could not tell if the open end was thin enough, which is desirable, although if a good deal I could just get a cheap 14/15mm and thin it a bit for the job.

Said made in USA, so that was a plus. Looked shiny and still on the plastic holder. $50 for all 8. I thought it a good deal, but I know I could get the two/three sizes I "need" from Lowes for similar money. But I don't know if either are "good" or not.

I know not to beat on the ratcheting part, I would plan on either using a fixed box end, or the open end for high torque. But for caliper bolts that I myself tightened I would think it ok.

If they are the old Made in USA wrenches then I would rate them top-notch. Been using my set for about a decade, including more than one incident of gross abuse (*ahem* hammering on them to break a nut loose). Hard as [censored] to get them lubed back up if/when they need it, but one of my favorite tools in the box.

Originally Posted By: supton
I would like a set of the ratcheting wrenches for disc brakes (mostly)

I can't see how a ratcheting wrench would work good on disc brakes. Everything on my disc brakes are too tight for wrenches; I gotta use a socket and a ratchet except for maybe the bleeder screw.

Last few times I've done this I kept flipping over the 14mm wrench. Just enough drag. Not sure why I just don't grab a socket, probably habit. And the long walk back to the toolbox.

I know on my prior VW there was one bolt that cried for a tool like this on the intake flap. Socket would not fit.

2uq2l46.jpg

Went back and got them. Spent six bucks on the brake tools and the misc wrench. New the Craftsman were like $90 I buck, these look unused. Will see if they work nicely or not.

I love ratcheting wrenches, have used my dads lots. He has Blackhawk brand and Mac. You can put some serious pressure on them too, don't think they're flimsy.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Originally Posted By: supton
I would like a set of the ratcheting wrenches for disc brakes (mostly)

I can't see how a ratcheting wrench would work good on disc brakes. Everything on my disc brakes are too tight for wrenches; I gotta use a socket and a ratchet except for maybe the bleeder screw.

I've had my set of ratcheting wrenches for two years and never found a use for them. Where I would use them, it's too tight for their big fat heads to fit in.

I work with older cars quite a bit and thus prefer 6 point tools as the usual 12 pont risk 'rounding' the nuts/bolts. I have these also and they are OK for the newer and unrusted cars.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back