K&n cleanable oil filter....

Status
Not open for further replies.
No [censored] way.

$262 will buy at least 26 top of the line filters good for at least 210000km.

Your plan sounds good.

OMG $262 ... for about 1/2 of that, you can probably buy a lifetime supply of disposable genuine OEM filters or an upgraded aftermarket equivalent like Fram Ultras or M1 filtes. These cleanable filters are a gimmick, and not at all practical, or worth the hassle in real life.
I cleaned a K&N air filter in my 240D once, and that was it... swore off ever doing it again. can't imagine how much messier that job would be with an oil filter.

Firstly, the mesh filters are typically more like rock catchers than filters per se.

secondly, when you wash them there's a very good chance of getting the "clean" side of them dirty with the debris from the media...first start, that gets flushed through the engine to get caught on the dirty side again.

You can find tons of threads on them if you know how to search, but it's pretty well been covered here. You pay a high price for a low efficiency, low capacity filter that looks fancy basically.

Any other decent filter is going to do a much better job at catching something before it gets into your bearings.

I will admit the embedded neodymium magnets are cool, and should keep any ferrous metals out of your engine, but there's plenty of metals that will go right by them, especially aluminum and copper!

Maybe these are good for crazyoildude, since they will flow the best!

Folks who elect to fritter their money away on that instead of buying readily available more efficient/effective filtration will be even more HellaBroke.
Or their headlamps are not illuminating properly and thinking caps are clearly disengaged.
smile.gif

Note Yanks feel compelled to patent anything that's "different," whether or not it actually works or does its job any better.

Good times...
Let's be real the search on this webpage isn't the best.... 90% of the time I end up Google searching bobistheoilguy.com- whatever I am trying to find...

I thought it was entertaining, apologies that this is beating a dead horse.

I could see a place for this dep. on flow with race motors etc... Again not saying I'd use it. Just trying to keep an optimistic mind set..???

Interesting none the less.

Yeah seems like a really bad idea. I saw a video a year or so back of someone cleaning one of those things (may have been from K&N actually), it was a re-usable oil filter made out of billet aluminum.

He was cleaning it off on to the floor (all of the oil was running on to the ground). I would think this would be better for the environment if you clean it with brake cleaner or something right over an oil drain pan. But I think this is too expensive and impractical. I'd go as far as cartridge over spin-on but not this far.

Some Aircraft use reusable SS oil and fuel Filters.
They must suck and only catch rocks.
The techs that clean and do the analyzing say they are more efficient and filter better, they must be lying.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
You can find tons of threads on them if you know how to search, but it's pretty well been covered here. You pay a high price for a low efficiency, low capacity filter that looks fancy basically.

Any other decent filter is going to do a much better job at catching something before it gets into your bearings.

http://www.indjst.org/index.php/indjst/article/download/48634/39369

That looks a little more expensive than K&N filter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back