Purposely start the motor without oil???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: raytseng
hey we aren't in his situation, so you are all too quick to judge.

I'm sure he's not a complete idiot, cause he is changing his oil and has ramps.
I give him the benefit of the doubt that there was some tradeoff for him to do this out of order, cause it's more work to close the hood, back it off the ramps, and then open the hood again to pour in the oil.

Maybe it's not possible to pour from a bottle nor a funnel into the fill tube at that angle without making a huge mess.
Maybe the guy doesn't have flexible spouted funnel and a way to hold it up.

Are you guys are all up in arms if you don't pre-fill the filter to the brim too, that's a cold start with maybe 2-3 seconds with no oil! the horror.

prolly people think they hafta have their car 100% level (and feel they should remove from ramps/jacks) before adding oil for it to register correctly on the dip stick. If the manual says 4 quarts and you pour in 4 quarts..... you don't need to use the dip stick.

Not being able to reach the oil fill with the vehicle on ramps is not a valid excuse. You can easily put the vehicle in neutral with the engine OFF and let it roll off the ramps.

There's another side to filter prefilling ... It's greater the probability that the pick-up tube is full of air and a prefilled filter could help in some systems, but could obstaculate first oil circulation in other systems, getting a red light for no pressure. In doubt, I don't prefill.

Originally Posted By: exranger06
Not being able to reach the oil fill with the vehicle on ramps is not a valid excuse. You can easily put the vehicle in neutral with the engine OFF and let it roll off the ramps.

Not sure if you've ever used ramps, but ramps flatten out and have a indentation spot for the tire to sit, so they are stable when the car is up. So that doesn't work.

I don't agree with the procedure either, I just think that it might not be the end of the world. The guy is lazy, if there were a lazy way out, he would have found it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back