Zerex Asian Coolant 50/50

Status
Not open for further replies.
Today, at a yard sale, I picked up 2, one Gallon Jugs of this coolant for $10.00

Since I've never used this 50/50 mix in before, would this fluid be safe to mix with the Toyota Red Coolant that I'm currently running in my 4Runner.

I plan to change out the original radiator for a Denso, exact fit model, this summer and wanted to try and find out if these fluids are compatible and safe to use in my 97 Toyota 4Runner, SR5. Thanks

Hopefully the jugs of coolant were sealed. If not then dispose of properly.

Why would you replace a radiator unless its leaking?

The jugs are sealed and in pristine shape.

I've had the original radiator in my vehicle for over 18 years and over 300K miles.
Preventative maintenance sometimes will save future headaches. I've had no leaks yet and replaced the upper, lower and heater hoses at 150K miles with OEM hoses.

Originally Posted By: Greasymechtech
It will work fine with either the red or pink.

Use it.

+1 The product sheet says it is compatible with all Asian coolants.

If you have always used a good coolant, there is no need to replace the radiator. The one in my BMW is 27 years old without leaks, and no signs of corrosion.

My 02 Camry came with red ff which I changed to pink when it came out...dealership said red and pink were NOT compatible. Since then I have been using Zerex Asian which is premix like Toyota pink..with no issues. If dealer is correct I auestion if Zerex is compatible with Toyota red.

Thanks for all the advice on using the Zerex Asian and leaving my radiator as is.....until needed.

I've been doing the drain and fills every 3 to 5 years with Toyota Red and have not identified any leaks. So, I'll leave the radiator as is until needed.

I do plan to install a remote transmission fluid cooler that I purchased and possibly a remote spin-on transmission filter before the hot fluid reaches the remote cooler.
Out of curiosity, I've called some local transmission shops about the advantages/disadvantages of installing a remote spin on filter, just to see what their opinion is on the installation. Nearly 100% of the local transmission shops immediately stated that it's a very bad idea to install the remote filter because they can clog up and ruin a transmission even if it is run for 1K miles with a filter magnet attached. However, I think that their opinion may be based on something else.

After all, replacing transmissions is their livelihood.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: widman
If you have always used a good coolant, there is no need to replace the radiator. The one in my BMW is 27 years old without leaks, and no signs of corrosion.

You're not dealing with a 97 4runner, either. Google Pink Milkshake, and then you'll understand why he is doing it.

Last edited:
Quote:
If dealer is correct I auestion if Zerex is compatible with Toyota red.

That is incorrect and they are compatible.

What the dealer might have said was that if you mix red and pink, the pink is no longer Super long life and its longer service interval qualities are lost. Red and pink are compatible, and Zerex Asian is simply aftermarket Red, like Pentofrost A1, also.

I believe Zerex makes long life claims on the Asian coolant also.

Seems like it is 5 years/150,000 miles....

I'm using it now in a 2004 Mazda RX8 and plan to change a couple of Camrys in the near future using Zerex Asian.

Originally Posted By: SilverC6
I believe Zerex makes long life claims on the Asian coolant also.

Seems like it is 5 years/150,000 miles....

I think the idea is that if you can convert to Zerex with a complete drain/flush (difficult with 50/50) then it's a 5yr/150kmi coolant run. If you mix it with any Toyota red at all, it defaults to the red spec of 2yr/30kmi. I'd probably convert a healthy system over with a series of drain/fills maybe once a year or so.

Anyway, I've been running Zerex Asian in my Vibe (1zzfe) for 2yrs without issue. It's available at Napa for around $13/gal although I like the deal OP got even better. Nice find. Based on what I've read, I'd switch the Ody over to Zerex too if I had any interest in getting all of the Honda blue out. Honda dealer gets $20/gal for blue, Toyota wants $30/gal for pink. Outrageous.

I have draining and refilling one gallon of Toyota Ultra Long Life Pink coolant every 2 years since my car was new in 2005. No issues. It used to cost about $16 a gallon but now it is $27 with tax. So I am switching to Zerex Asian for $15 a gallon with free shipping.

I hate having to drive to the dealership since they are not a dime a dozen in Michigan. I also hate the ever rising cost of it.

I am going to need to get a new reservoir cap I think though mine keeps popping off due to age.

Toyota Motor Corporation does have an outrageous price on its coolant. I think the Zerex Asian Vehicle coolant is very close to the TMC coolant. Wouldn't be surprised to learn that Ashland makes the Toyota coolant. I've used the Zerex product since it became available in my Camry with zero problems. Does anyone know why TCM prices their coolant so high.?

Originally Posted By: HosteenJorje
Toyota Motor Corporation does have an outrageous price on its coolant. I think the Zerex Asian Vehicle coolant is very close to the TMC coolant. Wouldn't be surprised to learn that Ashland makes the Toyota coolant. I've used the Zerex product since it became available in my Camry with zero problems. Does anyone know why TCM prices their coolant so high.?

I don't think "they" do, it seems to be up to the dealer here. The one I go to prices Toyota red (concentrate) at $23.95 a gallon, which isn't "outrageous" in my mind. The pink is quite a bit less but I'm not sure what it is exactly since I don't use it in any of my cars.

yes, it's the dealers.

I called four different once to compare as an exercise to see - Toyota and Lexus dealers around Tacoma and Seattle. It ran from $27 to $38 for the same gallon of LLC (red concentrate).

I buy it at CarQuest for $26.25, it is the actual Toyota brand.

Napa and O'Reillys carry Pentofrost and their A1 is identical to the Red, $26 about for a gallon of concentrate. This is the LL red, not the SLL pink. The pink is indeed less, but it is 50/50 mix.

Originally Posted By: mongo161
Today, at a yard sale, I picked up 2, one Gallon Jugs of this coolant for $10.00

Since I've never used this 50/50 mix in before, would this fluid be safe to mix with the Toyota Red Coolant that I'm currently running in my 4Runner.

I plan to change out the original radiator for a Denso, exact fit model, this summer and wanted to try and find out if these fluids are compatible and safe to use in my 97 Toyota 4Runner, SR5. Thanks

I run my 15 year old 4Runner hard here in the Sonoran Desert. I also replaced my radiator prior to it failing with another Denso that I purchased on eBay. Don't listen to people here when it comes to specific 4runner problems. Most of the guys here pay other people to work on their vehicles and complain about the cost to do so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back