Castrol Syn Blend 5w20

Status
Not open for further replies.
Magnatec? Gtx?

I've used the gtx semi as top up because it was the only quality 5w20 available at the dollar general I was closest too.

Mixed well with the Motorcraft 5w20 I had in my f150. The motor didn't lock up.

Last edited:
purchased 75 qrts of GTX SynBlend here but 10W40. Got it for $1.97 each. Have abt 4500 miles on its first use in my car. No problems. Use it in my pressure washer too. No problems. Will cut it with 0W20 this winter but if we even go below 14 here it would be quite quite rare. Have not seen addtl fuel consumption due to heavier oil. The maintenance minder is projecting a longer OCI.

I assume you mean the discontinued Synblend that AZ had on 'Clearance' at the end of last year.

I think it's a very good 5w20 but probably not the best oil for very low temperatures.

I bought a bunch of this at AutoZone clearance. 5w20 Grey bottles. Syn-blend. I put it in my Lincoln Intec 4.6 and it turned black quick, a little too quick. I ve had the car since new and it always got 3000 mile oil changes. No other oil changed black like that oil. Don't know if it was good or bad. I changed it early and put Kendall 10w30 , I scored there too on clearance. After 2000 miles, its still brown. Go figure.

Originally Posted By: pbm
I assume you mean the discontinued Synblend that AZ had on 'Clearance' at the end of last year.

I think it's a very good 5w20 but probably not the best oil for very low temperatures.

5W20 is totally fine for North Carolina.

Originally Posted By: Panzerman
I bought a bunch of this at AutoZone clearance. 5w20 Grey bottles. Syn-blend. I put it in my Lincoln Intec 4.6 and it turned black quick, a little too quick. I ve had the car since new and it always got 3000 mile oil changes. No other oil changed black like that oil. Don't know if it was good or bad. I changed it early and put Kendall 10w30 , I scored there too on clearance. After 2000 miles, its still brown. Go figure.

My first car was a 1996 Honda Accord 2.7 V6, I took it to our local mechanic and they use Castrol oils. The oil always turned very dark quickly, and looked almost black on the dipstick after 1500 miles or so. I have detailed records from the PO but I did know him and he is the kind of person to take care of his vehicles. It could have been that the car had over 200K at the time, or that Castrol GTX just likes to darken up quickly. Who knows.

Originally Posted By: Shrubitup

I agree with you.
What I meant was that Castrol 5w20 would not be my first choice for a NY winter.....I'd use PYB, QSGB, etc...Castrol doesn't seem to have the best cold weather properties.
I would have no problem using this oil in spring, summer, or fall or if I lived down south.

Originally Posted By: Shrubitup

I agree with you.
What I meant was that Castrol 5w20 would not be my first choice for a NY winter.....I'd use PYB, QSGB, etc...Castrol doesn't seem to have the best cold weather properties.
I would have no problem using this oil in spring, summer, or fall or if I lived down south.

I don't think OP wanted advice for winter time oil usage in New York.

I bought some for my dads Ford when it was on clearance. It hasn't complained yet. I wouldn't go out of my way to buy it at normal price, but for $1 a quart, why not?

People here are getting too obsessed with COLD FLOW and its quite ridiculous. This is 5w20 after all.. not a 20w50. It will flow fine just about anywhere in the United States and Canada. *Plus dont be wishing my summer away just yet!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dlundblad
I bought some for my dads Ford when it was on clearance. It hasn't complained yet. I wouldn't go out of my way to buy it at normal price, but for $1 a quart, why not?

People here are getting too obsessed with COLD FLOW and its quite ridiculous. This is 5w20 after all.. not a 20w50. It will flow fine just about anywhere in the United States and Canada. *Plus dont be wishing my summer away just yet!
No that's fine, Id be fine if winter came back. My Rx1 is lonely stashed away in the corner.
32.gif

I agree. Also, I'm trying to gather how some are equating color (turning black) with cold flow properties.

+1 to the statement in bold about flow, and
+1000 to the statement in red
laugh.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back