Empty Stands In Fontana

Status
Not open for further replies.
AND I MEAN EMPTY! This is really sad to see. A premier 500 Mile Indy Car Series race on one of the fastest super speedways, and almost nobody shows up. Man if this continues, I don't know???

Indy racing is fantastic. However, oval track racing is perhaps the most boring spectacle on earth. My opinion only, of course. I've seen Indy and other types of racing at multiple street/road courses, but would never consider going to an oval.

Originally Posted By: Klutch9
Indy racing is fantastic. However, oval track racing is perhaps the most boring spectacle on earth......

This race was anything but. When Penske built that place 20 years ago, the crowds were there. It's not weather, or widescreens, or traffic, drunks, or boredom. That all has existed for years. Personally, I think people in this country are out of money.

Scheduling a June race at Fontucky was simply more poor advice from Boston Consulting Group.

I personally witnessed Gil de Farran run 241.428 there and Greg Moore (R.I.P.) meet his maker from what was rightly a packed house.

IndyCar viewership and attendance have, of course, been trending downward toward nothingness for years.
Long Beach does well but it’s mostly a spring break party for the dilettantes.

The HPDEs I enjoy there these days on its roval are far more rewarding and fulfilling.
smile.gif

If you really want to get into it, you've got to dig back to why the IRL was formed and what it was going to do.

The IRL–CART split was a primary factor in an overall loss of interest in open-wheel motor racing that haunts them to this day.

Originally Posted By: billt460
What does June have to do with the stands being empty?

I assume it's rather hot. May, April, or September or October would have seemed a batter time.

Originally Posted By: Vern_in_IL
The IRL–CART split was a primary factor in an overall loss of interest in open-wheel motor racing.

This is the biggest factor for me. Indy used to be the best racing series in the early 90's. It was better than F1. The split killed the racing and my interest. I try to watch, but it's just not as good.

If you really want to get into it, you've got to dig back to why the IRL was formed and what it was going to do. The IRL–CART split was a primary factor in an overall loss of interest in open-wheel motor racing that haunts them to this day.

I thought the establishment of the Indy Racing League was to try and lower the cost of Indy Car racing, which at the time was getting out of control. Also, as such, by lowering the cost, (which it actually did do for a short while), it was going to supposedly give.... "Local American drivers their shot at driving an Indy car". Who might not otherwise have gotten the chance. A lot of people at the time were complaining about foreign drivers taking over Indy racing. Then the costs went back up after the big money Champ Car guys like Penske and Newman Haas abandoned Champ Car, and went into IRL with their high paid drivers like Michael Andretti and Al Unser Jr. The Indy Racing League had the Indy 500 going for it, along with all the tradition. And in the end, won out over Champ Car, which faded into the past a bit like Members Only jackets and acid wash jeans.

I thought the establishment of the Indy Racing League was to try and lower the cost of Indy Car racing, which at the time was getting out of control. Also, as such, by lowering the cost, (which it actually did do for a short while), it was going to supposedly give.... "Local American drivers their shot at driving an Indy car". Who might not otherwise have gotten the chance. A lot of people at the time were complaining about foreign drivers taking over Indy racing. Then the costs went back up after the big money Champ Car guys like Penske and Newman Haas abandoned Champ Car, and went into IRL with their high paid drivers like Michael Andretti and Al Unser Jr. The Indy Racing League had the Indy 500 going for it, along with all the tradition. And in the end, won out over Champ Car, which faded into the past a bit like Members Only jackets and acid wash jeans.

From my memory, Tony George didn't help the situation, basically kicking CART out of the Indy 500 only giving them 5 spots, then changing the specs so CART could not meet it.

I sure do miss the road and street courses, I watched one race held in Canada(Toronto?) in the 90's as a kid, man that was cool, watching the cars IN THE RAIN, something about they had to run so many laps or it was not a "official race". Really cool to see million dollar cars splashing through street puddles, one race I will never forget.

That is what race fans want, they want to see the car win the race on a empty tank or flat tire, they want to see rain racing, million dollar machines are at stake, the latest technology.

So many people say the cars go too fast, so NASCAR installs restrictor plates to slow them down.... that is the wrong direction, racing should have "drivers assistance" and other safety steering systems, just like we have on the streets, but then people would say "that's not real racing" well neither is intentionally slowing the cars down!

Last edited:
What does June have to do with the stands being empty?

NASCAR is running up at Sonoma today. That's probably siphoning off some of the race crowd. But not enough to fill the Fontana stands.

I usually hate oval racing but that race was spectacular. Maybe if more of the races were like that the stands would fill back up.

What's interesting is some of the drivers are crying about pack racing but others love it. For the fans it was a great show and to a degree that's what the racers sign up for. I'm not sure keeping the drivers in their comfort zone is good for them, the fans, or sport as a whole.

From my memory, Tony George didn't help the situation, basically kicking CART out of the Indy 500 only giving them 5 spots, then changing the specs so CART could not meet it.

I sure do miss the road and street courses, I watched one race held in Canada(Toronto?) in the 90's as a kid, man that was cool, watching the cars IN THE RAIN, something about they had to run so many laps or it was not a "official race". Really cool to see million dollar cars splashing through street puddles, one race I will never forget.

That is what race fans want, they want to see the car win the race on a empty tank or flat tire, they want to see rain racing, million dollar machines are at stake, the latest technology.

So many people say the cars go too fast, so NASCAR installs restrictor plates to slow them down.... that is the wrong direction, racing should have "drivers assistance" and other safety steering systems, just like we have on the streets, but then people would say "that's not real racing" well neither is intentionally slowing the cars down!
Since the big NASCAR teams have several cars for different tracks I'd like to see NASCAR permit a "road race" version with big brakes, tires, and IRS. What results would have a better relationship to real world driving.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back