Moisture in Grand Cherokee headlight assembly

Status
Not open for further replies.
I see a lot of moisture inside one of the headlight assemblies in my Jeep Grand Cherokee. I can find no physical damage like a crack or chip. Is there any fixing this or replace it?

The entire headlight assembly will have to be replaced. Somewhere the structure is getting breached.

Dunk the whole assembly in a bath tub of warm water. The warmth will expand the air in the headlamp and bubble out of the breach.

Originally Posted By: Curtis Newton
You don't say what year your JGC is, but there is a TSB for it.

wk2jeeps.com/tsb/tsb_wk2_0808613.pdf
'

The TSB says to replace if there are water droplets vs a fog.

Also if you replace them make sure you get oem genuine oem housings, the aftermarket housings for all vehicles are typically headlight shaped toys that pose numerous safety risks including thinner gauge wires that may melt, poor optics and cheap construction.

Depends how much new assembly costs and what you want to try in order to save money.

If there is a seam you can just do a bodge job by putting on a bead of silicone sealant and hope that works.
Try to also see where water may flow down from the hood drain channels

Originally Posted By: Bobcatguy
I see a lot of moisture inside one of the headlight assemblies in my Jeep Grand Cherokee. I can find no physical damage like a crack or chip. Is there any fixing this or replace it?

Drill 3 or 4 vent holes in the bottom of the housing. Should fix the issue. Don't waste money on replacing the whole thing if the rest is still good.

If the outer lens is cloudy too the light output is suffering also, replacing them gives you back your oem light output.

Remember headlights are life safety items and should be treated as such just as you would replace a bald tire or worn suspension piece.

Originally Posted By: raytseng
Depends how much new assembly costs and what you want to try in order to save money.

If there is a seam you can just do a bodge job by putting on a bead of silicone sealant and hope that works.

I've fixed numerous housings using this method... I'll also wrap a band of Teflon tape on top of silicone...

Drilling holes to let water out is a bad idea, generally causes the silvering on inside to dull/flake off... Housing need to be sealed at all times..

A little fine rubbing compound and waxing would remove probably 98% of the haze on that Ranger/Mazda pickup headlight...

Originally Posted By: TFB1

I've fixed numerous housings using this method... I'll also wrap a band of Teflon tape on top of silicone...

Drilling holes to let water out is a bad idea, generally causes the silvering on inside to dull/flake off... Housing need to be sealed at all times..

A little fine rubbing compound and waxing would remove probably 98% of the haze on that Ranger/Mazda pickup headlight...

I've had mine vented for years. It's nearly impossible to seal them up once they start showing condensation.

Originally Posted By: oilpsi2high
Originally Posted By: TFB1

I've had mine vented for years. It's nearly impossible to seal them up once they start showing condensation.

Not true. I sent the headlight for my Maxima to a place in Atlanta (PM for name) that will reseal and clean/polish the lense. The price was half of what a new OEM light would have cost me. They did awesome work and guarantee it for 2 years warranty.

Drill 3 or 4 vent holes in the bottom of the housing. Should fix the issue. Don't waste money on replacing the whole thing if the rest is still good.

We have done this here, usually just one tiny hole does the trick...

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8

+1

Did this to my dad's '99 Grand Cherokee and it did the trick.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8

Most cost effective option right here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back