"Whole Foods" cheats on food weight charges

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ive generally found that the whole foods/hipster type employees do not have math as their strong point...

Question is if this was truly malicious, or just idiocy of understanding calibrations and comparisons. Lots of people go for art degrees so they can avoid maths and sciences where that kind of thing becomes critical. Then they end up working at places like whole foods. I had a discussion about that with a checker there just the other day, which is why it comes to mind. We got another WF closer to us about a year ago, and I like it... Though we don't go there much due to prices....

The other side of it is, don't scales have to be approved by the state's weights and measures bureau? If so, then how does this happen? Almost couldn't be calibration drift... That makes me wonder if it is malicious in the interest of revenue. People are now trained to pay more there...

Whole Foods managers are to blame. Calibration is a periodic maintenance task, conspiracy theories aside. The fact that WF had so many consistent egregious violations is a bit strange.

Some items are already packaged by weight from vendor.
Other items are weighed in the store by employees.

When I worked at Publix in high school, the county inspector would randomly visit our store with his calibrated scale...
and weigh items from the Deli, Meat and Produce Dept.

Stuff like cut watermelon in the cold case needed a large 'tare' before being weighed/priced (label) to compensate for the loss of water since it was cut.

ALL ITEMS NEED A TARE TO SUBTRACT PACKAGING WEIGHT.

Mr Nice, now I'm wondering if the NYC authorities have seen this before at Whole Foods??? Or if my own local authorities even bother to check once in a while?

Originally Posted By: morepwr
As expensive as their stuff is, I would want every last ounce if I paid those prices.

I agree with getting .001 ounce of what I paid for.

Originally Posted By: ExMachina
Mr Nice, now I'm wondering if the NYC authorities have seen this before at Whole Foods??? Or if my own local authorities even bother to check once in a while?

I really couldn't say. It's up to the city to have a person do random checks. Same goes for the USDA inspecting the store for cleanliness.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Lots of people go for art degrees so they can avoid maths and sciences where that kind of thing becomes critical. Then they end up working at places like whole foods. Though we don't go there much due to prices....

This comment is pretty spot on. My liberal arts daughter was a supporter of WF based on organics, employee compensation, etc. but ethics only goes so far. Now she calls it "Whole Paycheck" and goes elsewhere.

usually its calibrated to within .01 lb... Daily with a certified weight.

Tares range from .01 to .79(large tray)

Every few months (3-6 or so)

A local county inspector comes will check them with their certified weights and .001lb calibrated scale.

This really sounds like a regional problem with their food suppliers more than a local store issue.

Or it could be a executive level/high management issue where they are not using the correct processes at the store level to ensure that the food packed their exceeds the weight of the preprinted labels.

That article is long on accusations and short on specifics

Last edited:
Barberton! Home of the B. Chicken! Used to live in Green, worked in Lebron's hometown.

Rand, I'd like to think its "Daily with a cert weight" everywhere.

Originally Posted By: ExMachina
Barberton! Home of the B. Chicken! Used to live in Green, worked in Lebron's hometown.

Rand, I'd like to think its "Daily with a cert weight" everywhere.

I'd agree but the article is very short on specifics.

Are the chicken tenders cooked locally? or shipped ready to go?

Preprinted labels? Labels printed in store?

etc

Barberton chicken is kinda bleh now.

Same guy owns Hopocan and white house.
They changed some of the recipes ex. the cole slaw
and chicken tenders.
Belgrade is $$$$$$ to much
Terrace gardens went out years ago.
Milich's has horrible servers and the owner is worse, and the portions have shrank at least 30%

Still if the stars align you get good service and food.
Still love the Hopocan Mini Drummette meal fried in 100% lard.. yum.

http://www.hopocangardens.com/

The other side of it is, don't scales have to be approved by the state's weights and measures bureau? If so, then how does this happen? Almost couldn't be calibration drift... That makes me wonder if it is malicious in the interest of revenue. People are now trained to pay more there...

This is a valid point. Not sure on the laws there, but here when I had my grocery job, the scales were calibrated regularly with date stickers visible.

I don't think people who shop there give a rats about a few bucks more for an item.

I could never afford to even buy one weeks worth of groceries at this place, however I do love to grab a lunch there it is very good and healthy.

Had the best salad there the other day, kale, spinach, tricolor carrots, beets, hard boiled eggs, croutons, and a few other goodies.

I think a salad and a bottle of water was 9 dollars. Worth it as a healthy treat.

Ive generally found that the whole foods/hipster type employees do not have math as their strong point...

Apparently, neither do the customers. Or, they just don't care that they're getting ripped off. Since it is Whole Foods, then apparently it is OK.

Whole Foods is too expensive for us to shop there. Their quality is not better than Costco and their price is about 50% to 100% more than Costco.

I usually stock up when local chains have deep discount like 60-70% off.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Whole Foods is too expensive for us to shop there. Their quality is not better than Costco and their price is about 50% to 100% more than Costco.

I usually stock up when local chains have deep discount like 60-70% off.

+1

My wife and I that the time to buy directly from farmers and go to farmer's markets in the area and of course, Costco.

Good nutrition can be more expensive and time consuming in the short run but it's a screaming good deal in the long run.

Whole Food employees work in teams and get more if their section does well. Perhaps not a surprise they were inflating their profits then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back