transformer cooling oil other use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, I have the opportunity to acquire industrial transformer HYVOLT II brand. Oil new not used coolant oil, its SUS 100 @100f / 19cST at 40c. could this be used as a hydraulic system oil?

No.

It does not have the proper additive package for use as a hydraulic oil.

In addition, it has a naphthenic base oil, and not a paraffinic base oil.

Most modern heat transfer fluids do not contain toxic PCBs.

Last edited:
Check carefully the age of the transformer...a lot of them made up to including the 70s either contained PCBs, or (for some stupid reason) had the paper cores soaked in PCB before assembly.

If you get one of the old ones, the new oil COULD be contaminated with PCB, and it doesn't take many PPM to make the whole lot need to be handled as PCB.

Not much that you can do with it anyway except insulate transformers.

I know a few who ran it in diesels, but wouldn't mine.

thanks for reply's. not free but close- about $1/gal, sill in 55 gal unopened drums. manufacture date 2009. had hoped to make it work due to pricing and amount. So, could i blend with something, "like a fuel-oil additive" or just forget about it?

this came from MSDS
Mixtures
Chemical name Common name and synonyms
DISTILLATES (PETROLEUM), HYDROTREATED LIGHT NAPHTHENIC 59.7 - 99.9%
DISTILLATES (PETROLEUM), HYDROTREATED LIGHT PARAFFINIC 0 - 40%
DISTILLATES (PETROLEUM), SOLVENT-DEWAXED LIGHT PARAFFINIC 0 - 20%
Material name: HyVolt II 4706 Version #: 02 Revision date: 05-06-2014 Issue date: 01-13-2014
CAS number
64742-53-6
64742-55-8
64742-56-9
SDS US 1/8
2,6-DI-TERT-BUTYL-P-CRESOL [BUTYLATED HYDROXYTOLUENE (BHT)]
CAS number
128-37-0 < 0.3

Originally Posted By: Greasyfingerails
this came from MSDS
Mixtures
DISTILLATES (PETROLEUM), HYDROTREATED LIGHT NAPHTHENIC 59.7 - 99.9%
DISTILLATES (PETROLEUM), HYDROTREATED LIGHT PARAFFINIC 0 - 40%
DISTILLATES (PETROLEUM), SOLVENT-DEWAXED LIGHT PARAFFINIC 0 - 20%
Material name: HyVolt II 4706 Version #: 02 Revision date: 05-06-2014 Issue date: 01-13-2014
CAS number
64742-53-6
64742-55-8
64742-56-9
SDS US 1/8
2,6-DI-TERT-BUTYL-P-CRESOL [BUTYLATED HYDROXYTOLUENE (BHT)]
CAS number
128-37-0 < 0.3

The only additive in most "inhibited" heat transfer fluids, which is the designation for transformer oil, is an anti-oxidant, or "oxidation inhibitor," or AO.

In this case it is the 2,6-DI-TERT-BUTYL-P-CRESOL [BUTYLATED HYDROXYTOLUENE (BHT)], an AO that has been used for eons.

If you look at the brochure, under "Production Technique" it says this is a hydrotreated naphthenic crude.

Last edited:
It's fairly common in the mechanically injected cummins/diesel crowd as an alternative fuel when mixed with diesel. Not sure I'd run it in a common rail diesel though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back