3.0 Mercruiser bad engine circulating water pump

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have a 2010 Bayliner 175 with 3.0 GM engine with only 50 hours on it. The water pump on the engine just recently started to make an intermittent rubbing noise sounding like a bad bearing. No leakage from the pump. Just wondering if anyone has seen these pumps wearing out so fast. Don't know if I should replace it or just let it go a while longer.

I know back when my family was into boating, water pump issues were the #1 problem. The rubber pump impellers would dry out or stick to the metal surfaces in the pump, and shear the "blades" off. Super common. #2 issue was ignition coils, but this was mostly with the 2-stroke outboards.

The pump on the outdrive has been replaced this is the engine pump like the pump on your car engine. I would think it would last longer than 50 hours. It was never run dry for any amount of time.

I had an impeller on a 6 cyl Chevy motor come off the shaft. My guess is over the winter it must have froze and pushed it off. The pump didn't make any noise, but the impeller was laying in the hole. It wouldn't overheat at idle because the outdrive pump was pushing enough water thru the block. But once in gear and revving up, the temp would rise and it got hot. I would pull and replace the pump. Getting stuck out on the water would cost alot more then the pump does. I'm not really sure if a standard car pump is any different then a marine pump.I used mine in salt water, if your is only used in fresh water, I'd try a cheaper car pump.,,,

Only used in fresh water. The replacement pump is only $88. Not much for not having to worry.

If don't have a closed cooling system, the pump won't last too long.
You can take your chances, but I would replace with a decent marine unit ASAP. Not fun getting a tow. If doing yourself it should be pretty easy. Good luck

Just ordered a new pump should be in next week. I guess 5 years and only 50 hours can be just as bad on a pump as a lot of hours in a short time.

Originally Posted By: robd
Have a 2010 Bayliner 175 with 3.0 GM engine with only 50 hours on it. The water pump on the engine just recently started to make an intermittent rubbing noise sounding like a bad bearing. No leakage from the pump. Just wondering if anyone has seen these pumps wearing out so fast. Don't know if I should replace it or just let it go a while longer.

Wonder if it is the impeller blades rubbing on the housing and if that would wear away over time. Not recommending that. Bet water froze in there over the winter.

Always drained block then winterized with RV antifreeze. Last winter was brutal maybe some water left in engine somehow.

Last edited:
The circulating water pump is similar to that on an car except more of the parts are bronze/brass. The impeller is not rubber for sure. Its got a sealed bearing that can go bad I suppose. Best to replace anything on a boat's propulsion system that you suspect to be going bad. Time to use the boat is short and a tow is expensive.

Yeah, 50 hours, fresh water, 5 years, is a bit premature to fail, unless something happened and infrequent use added to it.

Ah, is the boat stored in the water during the summer? If so, I would not think 5 years would be premature.

Last edited:
No, boat trailered and stored in a dry garage when not used. Other than water pump boat still looks new but block isn't drained between uses in summer and then drained and winterized with RV antifreeze in the fall of every year.

Originally Posted By: JTK
I know back when my family was into boating, water pump issues were the #1 problem. The rubber pump impellers would dry out or stick to the metal surfaces in the pump, and shear the "blades" off. Super common. #2 issue was ignition coils, but this was mostly with the 2-stroke outboards.

+1 I have rebuilt them about every 4 years. You need a new impeller rebuild kit. Not hard to do. Lube the new impeller housing with vaseline so you don't dry start it.

Watch this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UxLfF2abE_o

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: robd
Just amazed at life of pump. Everything else on boat is still like new.

5 years for the impeller is maximum life. You don't want them to disintegrate and clog your cooling system. Bad juju.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back