Pentastar 2012/13 oil spec change - OCI question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, i would like to have some light on some specifics. I know that the oil specification of pentastar changed mid year 2013 and that it has been discussed in length about the 5w30 and 5w20 grade oils.

What is interesting is there was not much mention about the OCI change too - change from maximum every 6 months to maximum annual (time wise).

Quote from 2012 user manual
Quote:
NOTE: Under no circumstances should oil change intervals exceed 8,000 miles (13 000 km) or six months, whichever occurs first.

Quote from 2013 user manual
Quote:
NOTE:Under no circumstances should oil change intervals exceed 10,000 miles (16,000 km) or twelve months, whichever occurs first.

As stated much from multiple threads in BITOG, pentastar engine did not go through any major change if any during the time.

So is Chrysler saying that technically you can run on mineral oil for up to 1 year if the EVIC says so? That seems to be a an awful long time for dino oil IMHO.

Because in the user manual section, further down from the oil specs, it also mentions :
Quote:
Synthetic Engine Oils
You may use synthetic engine oils provided the recommended oil quality requirements are met, and the recommended maintenance intervals for oil and filter changes are followed.

So we get that mineral oil is really going the distance now as afterwards synthetic is mentioned as an option.

If so, would all pentastar equipped engines prior to the specs change in the manual e.i. 2011/12 are also able to go on mineral oil for 1 year or until EVIC says so?? (of course once warranty is over)

I have a 2012 Dodge grand caravan and currently doing 6 months OCI on mineral and would like to know if that could be pertinent in my case - would much appreciate feedback from Dodgecares and other dodge official source.

How big is the sump? My son has a 2015 Chrysler 200S w the 3.6L Pentastar and his holds 6 quarts. Owners manual also says 1 year/10k miles max. 5W-20 oil is specified, but 5W-30 is acceptable. I think these engines are easy on oil, so Chrysler must know the 10k is doable on dino. We'll probably use PYB in his.

Interesting that they drifted away from the 1 size fits all mentality they had with my 08 Jeep Liberty. Given a choice of 5W20 or 5W30, I'd use 5W30.
27.gif

Take that one more step when 0W16 is the norm....

If 0W16 is not available, 0W20 is acceptable, but
revert back to 0W16 for the next oil change.

If 0W16 and 0W20 both are not available, 5W30
is acceptable, but switch to the recommended
grade at the next oil change.

Then a member from another country will post
a photo of your vehicle with the same
engine with 5W30 on the oil fill cap.

So you can come out from under your chair.

Last edited by a moderator:
You'll be fine going the full year/ 10k once the warranty is up as you said. It is the same engine after all.

Depending on what youre into, you should be able to just change it every 10k regardless of time depending on how the vehicle is driven. (weekly highway miles, no excessive short trips etc.)

It is nice to know a mineral oil can go that far in this engine, but I would personally play around with synthetics at 10k intervals.. And I normally prefer conventional over synthetic.
27.gif

I have a 2011 Town & Country with only 38000 miles. The dealer does free oil changes and I have had them change the oil anywhere from 3000 to 5000 miles. The service manager told me not to go over 6000 miles.

John

I'm not sure I would trust a normal conventional in this engine for 10k

This is just one sampling however, it was 10k on Pennzoil Ultra.
UOA from my 2012 T&C

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back