Removing haze from headlights

Status
Not open for further replies.
Without going to Wally World and purchasing a kit; what's the best homemade method you've used to remove hazing from headlights and what steps did you take to ensure it lasted?

Depending on how bad the haze is on the headlight lenses, is what product to start with! If they're really bad, you may want to start with sandpaper. I like 2000 grit though, you may want to use something more coarse such as 600! And then move to some fine cut rubbing compound(that you may have in the garage) and finally to...Toothpaste! Yes, toothpaste!

But, if the headlight lenses are just starting to haze then, toothpaste is your first step and continue from there on. I like Ultra Brite Advanced Whitening. Others use just about any brand!

Always start out with the finest grit product. Because you can always go to a more aggressive!

Toothpaste if it's not too bad. Best kit I've used is from 3M and includes the auto masking tape to seal off your body paint.

Originally Posted By: BlindBaby
Without going to Wally World and purchasing a kit; what's the best homemade method you've used to remove hazing from headlights and what steps did you take to ensure it lasted?

Just tried the toothpaste approach this week, on a pair of lightly hazed headlights (2001 avalon). Seemed to do a nice job.

I've had good luck with polishing compound, Then a few coats of a polish that has a UV protectent in it. I do it once a year and it does a nice job. If it's been 10 years since anything has been used on them, anything short of steel wool might not make a noticeable difference.,,

I've been using Meg's Ultimate compound, hand applied, about once a year on the headlights of one of my cars. It's pretty mild stuff.

I don't waste a lot of time on this job, to get them like brand new (seriously, not close but new) in a few min here is how i do it.

Mask off the light well with 3-4 layers of tape or remove it, Sand with an orbital sander and a foam 3000 grit foam disc. These come in 6 inch so use a old 5 inch disc and mark the pad then cut it down to use on the common 5 inch orbital sanders.
Dip the pad in a shallow pan of water so the pad holds water and stays wet, sand it till it looks perfect.

Polish it with compound and swirl remover after sanding using a buffer, i use a 6 inch rotary, the orbitals are painfully slow. Do not skip this step, it makes the difference between looking good and looking new!

Wipe 2X with alcohol, let dry and blow a couple of coats of clear on it. I use 2K when i paint something else but U-POL has a nice UV resistant rattle can clear. The picture is all reflections but it is 100% crystal clear.
You can 3000 sand the clear and buff it again but you don't have to.

This one was pretty hazed, 10 min per light total prep time.
SAM_1504_zpss4sd4nbm.jpg

You can buy the these product single at an auto body supply store. The disc are abut $3ea

http://www.amazon.com/Meguiars-S6F3000-Professional-Unigrit-Finishing/dp/B004QJIY36

http://www.amazon.com/U-Pol-Products-079...=U-POL+UV+clear

Do NOT use 600 grit sandpaper! You should never have to go below 1000, more like 1500.

Toothpaste does work for a quick job to clean light hazing. Sandpaper is needed for a more permanent repair or for heavily hazed lights. Be aware there is a UV resistant coating on the lights and this coating has started to fail. If you sand this coating off the lights will haze or yellow very quickly.

That looks great!
Is there a guide as to when its too bad to polish? Or can you save most any light? Even if yellow?

Originally Posted By: Snoman002
Do NOT use 600 grit sandpaper! You should never have to go below 1000, more like 1500.

Toothpaste does work for a quick job to clean light hazing. Sandpaper is needed for a more permanent repair or for heavily hazed lights. Be aware there is a UV resistant coating on the lights and this coating has started to fail. If you sand this coating off the lights will haze or yellow very quickly.

Well, it depends! I've see headlight lenses that were so BAD that, you needed a grinder to do anything noticeable! Just kidding but, you get my meaning!
laugh.gif

As mentioned and the fact that the OP is trying to only use household products without running to the store and buying more stuff! But, we have no pictures to help the OP! The OP may in fact need to buy the proper product, we don't know!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: spasm3
That looks great!
Is there a guide as to when its too bad to polish? Or can you save most any light? Even if yellow?

I use a Dewalt variable speed orbital and run it on about 2-3 for dull hazing, even crusty yellow will come out flawless just increase the speed a little and keep the pad wet.
1 disc will easily do a pair of nasty light so for a $3 disc and a $20 can of UV clear (does about 10 lights) and a little compound your in business.

this one is dirty now but still crystal clear i did this one over a year ago and its never been washed. This one was so yellow it failed inspection and had almost light on the road.

SAM_1505_zpsb8v3avhb.jpg

i use this 5" orbital variable speed and this is the UV resistant clear, it gives very good results for those without spray equipment.

SAM_1506_zpsncmbowhb.jpg

The disc, these are not a major brand but body shop supply quality. They are cheap but give outstanding results.

SAM_1507_zpsoaulirlg.jpg

SAM_1508_zpsficqw1bc.jpg

Finally if you have a spray gun and a respirator it doesn't get any better than this clear for durability and UV resistance. This is the original Dupont glamor clear formula. Also available in quarts.

SAM_1509_zpsfyi9lepx.jpg

Speaking of Volkswagens, my dad's Audi desperately needs this done to it. I don't know why, but these always seem to have faded yellow headlights.
21.gif

My Jeep is about due for this procedure too, but I can buy headlights online for about $100-$150.
21.gif

My girlfriend's Volvo has glass headlights. I miss that feature on cars.

The VW/Audi lights seem to go yellow fast on some years. They are expensive an light and worth doing. Aftermarket headlights are usually no where near as good a OE, your better of saving the originals if you can.

Vinegar / baking soda half and half... Stir then use rag towel to wipe on headlight in a circular motion... Then rinse/wipe off with a wet rag.

Originally Posted By: southernjeeper
Vinegar / baking soda half and half... Stir then use rag towel to wipe on headlight in a circular motion... Then rinse/wipe off with a wet rag.

Thanks.

Check out a YouTube Video by ChrisFix or Chris Fix Headlamp restoration . Google it as he gives a great instructional video.

Bug repellent.

I used Deep Woods Off.

Spray on, wipe off, repeat.

Be careful with any overspray.

Follow with a cleaner/polish.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back