Orbital buffer/polisher recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm purchasing a new orbital buffer; haven't bought one of these in a LONG time.

What's out there that you would recommend?

I have never owned a high end one but I bought a $20 model you can find most anywhere. I was very impressed with how much better and easier than hand waxing. I now wonder why I waited so long.

Do you mean Orbital or Dual Action (DA).

Orbitals are usually the plastic machines with a Terry cloth cover that you hold onto with two hands on top.

Dual Actions typically look like an angle grinder and usually have some metal in the construction.

Orbitals are really only good for spreading wax around. DA's on the other hand can be used for polishing paint, compounding to remove scratches, and also apply wax if needed.

I wouldn't recommend any Orbital, for a DA I would recommend the Harbor Freight version, with a new 5$ backing pad and whichever 5.5" pad of your choosing.

Last edited:
35.gif
This could be like oil.....

I do really like my Griot's Garage D/A Oribtal. Works great + zero problems.

Here you go: http://www.griotsgarage.com/

Check this out

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3368791/Does_Griot's_Garage_DA_work?#Post3368791

Originally Posted By: BlindBaby

Your right or left arm.

My neighbor across the street lives to the East of me. He used a D/A polisher on his nice red F250 truck. Every day as the sun goes down in the West I can see the swirl marks. He can't see them because he is too close as he gets in to drive away and the angle is not right. He's a great guy, not sure I have the heart to tell him.

Unless you have massive amounts of panels like an RV, I would not recommend one.

I'm 71 Y.O and find it good exercise to do by hand. Collinite 845 makes it easy.

Last edited:
I've been using a Porter Cable 7424 for over a decade. I detail on the weekends, and have probably gone through at least 100 Lake Country pads in that time.

The PC7424 is a serious workhorse. Yes, it's been overtaken by the Flex polisher (which I purchased early this year), but it's still a GREAT piece of equipment.

As with anything, you need to get your routine down, so practice, practice, practice. Get REAL familiar with pad/product combos, and within a very short period of time, you'll have the best looking car in the neighborhood.

Last edited:
For the weekend warrior the HF DA polisher is okay once the backing pad is replaced with a smaller one. Just wear hearing protection since it is fairly loud.

Originally Posted By: user52165

Your right or left arm.

My neighbor across the street lives to the East of me. He used a D/A polisher on his nice red F250 truck. Every day as the sun goes down in the West I can see the swirl marks. He can't see them because he is too close as he gets in to drive away and the angle is not right. He's a great guy, not sure I have the heart to tell him.

Unless you have massive amounts of panels like an RV, I would not recommend one.

I'm 71 Y.O and find it good exercise to do by hand. Collinite 845 makes it easy.

It is obvious your neighbor has no idea how to use the machine properly. If he did there would be no swirl marks.

How does one induce new swirl marks using D/A polisher? Or is he talking about not removing existing swirl marks?

By the way, just for the heck of it, I used Walmart 5" wax spreader with wool bonnet and M105/M205 on the door of the van. It came out spectacular! I do not remember where I had picked up that wool bonnet because most stores these days only carry microfiber in that size.

Incidentally, I made a coat hanger stirrer on drill to get my M105/M205 bottles back to civilization.

Moral is that all you need is good chemical and some method of applying the friction power to the paint to make it look good. First decide on your budget and then take the plunge.

Originally Posted By: Vikas
How does one induce new swirl marks using D/A polisher?

Although its tough it can happen. Improper use, wrong products, dirty pad, etc. etc. can cause problems.

Originally Posted By: ntwrkguy1
I've been using a Porter Cable 7424 for over a decade. I detail on the weekends, and have probably gone through at least 100 Lake Country pads in that time.

The PC7424 is a serious workhorse. Yes, it's been overtaken by the Flex polisher (which I purchased early this year), but it's still a GREAT piece of equipment.

As with anything, you need to get your routine down, so practice, practice, practice. Get REAL familiar with pad/product combos, and within a very short period of time, you'll have the best looking car in the neighborhood.

+1 I love my PC7424

Originally Posted By: user52165

Your right or left arm.

That's really just because he is an idiot, or he only used a polish and didn't do anything to remove paint marring.

A DA is the least aggressive way to correct paint. A forced rotation polisher the next most, and a rotary the most aggressive. Those wax spreaders are just that, I would like to see the results of those when compared to a true polish and a IPA wipedown!

I would recommend a DA over a forced rotation or rotary, just due to the fact that damaging paint with a DA is difficult to do.

I will say it again, the the HF DA. It's cheap and you can always upgrade while still keeping all your pads and materials. Heck, buy it with the 20% off coupon and you could sell it for $5 less years later. The backing plate is [censored], so replace that, and the grease is junk so change that out too. I don't find mine to be loud at all. It is even well liked on dedicated detailing forums.
But, if your income is a bit more disposable then the recommendations here are all great

"Good" is in the eye of the beholder, and there is NOTHING wrong with that! The pictures do look good, but without seeing first hand I'm not going to claim its good, or bad. Ultimately, if your happy that's all that matters.

Originally Posted By: Bgallagher
Originally Posted By: ntwrkguy1

+1 I love my PC7424

I also have been using a PC 7424, and it's a decent tool. However I will be switching to smaller pads to increase the "rotating" capacity. Just can't afford a new Rupes and such.

I'm frugal on certain things and to be honest, this is an area in which I have no inclination to overspent.

I ordered the HF unit with the 20% off coupon a few days ago.

Thanks for all the input.

Originally Posted By: Snoman002

I will say it again, the the HF DA. It's cheap and you can always upgrade while still keeping all your pads and materials. Heck, buy it with the 20% off coupon and you could sell it for $5 less years later. The backing plate is [censored], so replace that, and the grease is junk so change that out too. I don't find mine to be loud at all. It is even well liked on dedicated detailing forums.
But, if your income is a bit more disposable then the recommendations here are all great

I've been using the HF one too and like it a lot, but I'm new to DAs. I have 6.5" Lake Country CCS pads so I'd like to retain a 6" backing plate- suggestions on what/where to buy a better one? And what is this grease you speak of?

I will say the first one I bought was DOA.. it rotated a bit and then locked up. But the 2nd one has been running fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back