VOA: Mobil-1 ESP X1 0W-30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mobil1_X1_ESP_0_W30.jpg

Thanks for posting this..this JUST showed up on the shelves of Canadian Tire a couple of weeks ago, was curious about it.

I like it, strong add-pack that should last well even with weak-ish looking starting TBN...but retention should be good.

It would be really interesting to do comparison runs with AFE 0W-30...has a different add-pack, different TBN, and is probably A3 rated with 3.5 HT/HS....

No problem. I ordered from Amazon, this vendor: Amazon Mobil-1 ESP X1 0W-30 but I think there are other vendors on there selling the same thing, so be sure to check around to see if someone has a better deal. I have Amazon Prime so free shipping, worked out to $8.48/qt which is crazy high but I figured I'll try it for the heck of it (I have no life haha). Likely won't get it again but figured I'd gift a VOA to the BITOG community since it looks like it wasn't on here.

One thing I'll say about it: If it's anything like the Mobil-1 ESP 5W-30, that stuff was the only oil to measurably cut consumption (even post Auto-RX, which halved consumption from quart/750mi to quart/1500 or so mi) in my dads 2000 Expedition 5.4L. I even ran Amsoil ACD, which is a full synthetic straight 30W that is rated for 10W-30, and that only made it 1700-1800 mi before needing a quart. The Mobil-1 ESP 5W-30 was like 2000 miles or darn close to it. I don't know what they make that stuff out of, but whatever is in it, at least in my dads Expo, it definitely cut consumption. Cheaper to run cheap decent dino of course, but still, impressive...

Originally Posted By: Brybo86
Hmm I may return the 0w30 AFE that I recently bought...
I wonder if Wally world carries this yet?

This is a heavier oil than the AFE with an HTHS of 3.5cP. Do you require something this heavy? this is like GC.

MSDS shows 20-30% PAO for this product BTW.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

This is a heavier oil than the AFE with an HTHS of 3.5cP. Do you require something this heavy? this is like GC.

Nothing special just need some Xw30 for my Lexus which specs 5w30 and sees a lot of cold starts in winter

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

Nothing special just need some Xw30 for my Lexus which specs 5w30 and sees a lot of cold starts in winter

IMHO the AFE is probably a better choice.

Note that it's not even SN and it's aimed at MB, having only MB approvals and ACEA C2, C3. I'm sure it's a great oil, but in a more "vanilla" application, I don't see a lot of ROI. XOM won't guarantee this for 10,000 miles on a vehicle calling for ordinary ILSAC oils. If someone wants a thick 30 or even a 40, I can think of several different more cost effective options right within the XOM songbook.

Is this considered/sold as a 'low SAPS' product, even though the ZDDP content is average to high??

The calcium is lower though and the starting TBN is also on the lower side, and this is what made me think it is a lower SAPS Euro oil.
21.gif

Yes low SAPS, XOM specifies it as ACEA C2/C3 which is supposed to be maximum Phos 800ppm , Zinc doesn't actually have a specified limit by ACEA.

I like the Boron; evidence shows Boron has anti wear properties.

Many C3 oils don't contain moly, again another great anti wear additive.

Think i'll try this oil in my Jeep Diesel this winter.

Now that Pennzoil's C3 0W-30 is now available it's worth comparing:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3827896/PP_EURO_LX_0W30#Post3827896

One concern I have with the Blackstone VOA of the M1 ESP X1 0W-30 is the low KV100 of 11.21cSt vs the PDS spec of 12cSt. That's a significant deviation and I would have asked them to retest. But assuming it's correct then the KV100 is off by 6.5% and the HTHSV will also be lower, likely in the 3.3-3.4cP range and therefore this oil would not qualify as a C3 oil.

I know this is an old thread but hopefully you all have figured out that the esp oils are not good for gasoline engines. I derive this from MB sending out a bulletin to not use it in their gas engines. It caused sludging at longer oci's. Many of their dealers were using it in all their oil services to keep it simple for their staff. They started having sludging problems in the gas engines. MB recommends 10k oci in most of their vehicles.

Originally Posted By: loneryder
I know this is an old thread but hopefully you all have figured out that the esp oils are not good for gasoline engines. I derive this from MB sending out a bulletin to not use it in their gas engines. It caused sludging at longer oci's. Many of their dealers were using it in all their oil services to keep it simple for their staff. They started having sludging problems in the gas engines. MB recommends 10k oci in most of their vehicles.

The add pack looks SN compatible. The TBN being low starting off would be my main concern, but as long as you didn't run the TBN too low, I'd be fine using with a gasoline engine.

Originally Posted By: loneryder

Anybody minds sharing the 'mechanics' of sludge occurrence during 10k/15k oci of this C3 Esp ?
blush.gif

Zeng - I don't recall the technical reasons but I got this from an indy MB shop with yrs of experience. They reported their findings to MB and Exxon Mobil. Exxon Mobil sent reps to their shop and tried to find any way they could to deny this as there was a lot of sludging in gas MB's and they all had used this oil. They never admitted anything but said not to use it in gas engines anymore and then MB came out with a bulletin about it. Some Dealers were using the esp in all their vehicles to make sure the diesels got the correct oil.
I think it's probably ok for use in gas engines but not for a long oci. Why anybody would want to do that is a mystery because it is expensive.

Thanks heaps.
thumbsup2.gif

That's where car/oil manufacturers knows things what we don't. Curious , I would call it Experience.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back