2016 Ford Focus RS confirmed 345 hp / 347 tq

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder just how 'maxed out' it is as far as boost level, and what it can handle without a major internal rebuild??

I'd love to throw some Mountune/M-Sport (Malcolm Wilson Motorsports, the official factory team of Ford's World Rally Championships program) magic at that beast and see what it can REALLY do to the import nameplate competition!!!
eek.gif
19.gif
cool.gif

(And yes, I know that the WRC regs limit them to a sort of 'gentleman's agreement' of a 300 WHP limit, but that is with oversize inlet restrictors installed- take them out, and tune it correctly, and LOOKOUT!!!!)

Originally Posted By: dailydriver
I wonder just how 'maxed out' it is as far as boost level, and what it can handle without a major internal rebuild??

I'd love to throw some Mountune/M-Sport (Malcolm Wilson Motorsports, the official factory team of Ford's World Rally Championships program) magic at that beast and see what it can REALLY do to the import nameplate competition!!!
eek.gif
19.gif
cool.gif

(And yes, I know that the WRC regs limit them to a sort of 'gentleman's agreement' of a 300 WHP limit, but that is with oversize inlet restrictors installed- take them out, and tune it correctly, and LOOKOUT!!!!)

...and 1.6T now. No more 2.0T in WRC.

Originally Posted By: horse123
Muh torque steer tho

RS is AWD with Torque Vectoring and a LSD, shouldn't be that bad

ST's are FWD, and while they pull a bit, there no where as bad as weak FWD designs of old
(K car, X car, etc)

Quote:
Up to 70 percent of torque can be delivered to the rear axle, and up to 100 percent of that amount can be routed to the outside rear wheel.

Why would you want 100 percent of the torque going to the outside rear wheel?

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Quote:
Up to 70 percent of torque can be delivered to the rear axle, and up to 100 percent of that amount can be routed to the outside rear wheel.

what good is driven rear wheel when it lifts off the ground mid corner?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Charlie1935
I don't believe the OUTSIDE rear wheel will be lifting off the ground.

Yeah, depending on weight transfer, the outside rear is usually the most loaded on corner exit. The torgue transfer there would improve forward bite and acceleration off the corner - that's where most road races are won and lost.

no, the INSIDE wheel can... thus you want the torque going to the OUTSIDE wheel

This car just sounds better and better as more info comes out.

I want one. Wont get one the first year though since the dealers around here always have the "market adjustment" on new vehicles in demand.

Quote:

It is an extension of stability control. It will pivot the car into a corner properly under hard cornering. I have this on my 07 MDX (SH-AWD) and it makes a near 5000 lb CUV handle with finesse. Especially on gravel and wintery roads under throttle.

The setup though is similar to SH-AWD in Focus in that it is actually 70% of overall engine torque to on rear axle and can distribute 100% of that to other wheel. The other 30% is till on a front wheel(s).

Originally Posted By: bigt61
Charlie1935 said:
The torgue transfer there would improve forward bite and acceleration off the corner - that's where most road races are won and lost.

...as well as most rallies, albeit the factory WRC teams are using totally different, aftermarket systems (X-Trac, FFD, Quaife, etc.) than the production cars.

Originally Posted By: Jetronic

no, the INSIDE wheel can... thus you want the torque going to the OUTSIDE wheel

Spot on.

Anyway, This car is going to be an absolute monster! I can't wait to hear its 0-60mph number.

Quote:

Why would you not want it?

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Quote:

Why would you not want it?

I think practically speaking, only rock crawlers want 100% torque to any wheel, which is why they lock all the diffs up.
For a road car, locked diffs maybe good for Ken Block, but for most driving, having some compliance helps with traction as long as you have some weight on other 2 or 3 tires.

Originally Posted By: IndyIan

I think practically speaking, only rock crawlers want 100% torque to any wheel, which is why they lock all the diffs up.
For a road car, locked diffs maybe good for Ken Block, but for most driving, having some compliance helps with traction as long as you have some weight on other 2 or 3 tires.

Obviously the system won't push 100% to any wheel in normal driving, but only in extreme situations.

Besides, it's not actually 100% to a single wheel. The article said up to 70% can go to rear axle, and that entire 70% can go to either one of the rear wheels, again in extreme situations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back