Quaker State Defy - now API SN resource conserving

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just saw this at local Meijer store while hunting for clearance deals, nothing on clearance yet.

Quaker State Defy in 5w20 is now API SN resource conserving, so it no longer has the extra ZDDP allowed by API SL specs. They had no other grades in the new bottle yet, still old stock 5w30/10w30 showing the same lingo of just meeting api SL.

Pics of new bottle.

2nh3r4z.jpg

wplhs.jpg

2aj6w3n.jpg

But they are still making the extra wear performance claims, even with <800 ppm Phosphorous? So they must be using another wear improver then. Interesting, maybe more boron or moly???

Originally Posted By: ExMachina
But they are still making the extra wear performance claims, even with div>

They have always had tons of moly and Boron, I'm guessing that the already high numbers can claim this.

Possibly they are flirting with the top range of ZDDP limits.

They still mention "zinc, the heavyweight champion" on the back of the jug. Many oils take the SN limits right up to the 800 ppm limits already.

Don't what you think man... But if a car is specified for API SM and you wanted more zinc and phos then just run Rotella T5 or Rotella Triple etc?? Just wondering what ya think about this idea ??
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: bbhero
Don't what you think man... But if a car is specified for API SM and you wanted more zinc and phos then just run Rotella T5 or Rotella Triple etc?? Just wondering what ya think about this idea ??
smile.gif

I really like Rotella T5 10w30 it's great for OPE and summer fills but I prefer a 5w30 in my area sometimes it gets well below zero.

Yeah.. True. Coldest ever here in southeast Va was -12F in January 1985. On average we see single digits at the lowest on average. But yeah out your way -20F is not out of the question. I bet y'all saw that this past winter and in 2013-14 has well. We got down to -5 F in January 14.
So.. Hmmm. Rotella T5 pour point is -40F. I would estimate that it would be operational up to -15F ??
Though I do plan on running 0w40 Castrol in December thru March
Just in case
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Rand
its because its 5w20, go look at the back of the 10w40 jug

I posted already in the original post that the older bottles and grades still show API SL, but it's possible they could also re formulate 5w30 for API SN to get some more of the new car market share.

Doesn't really surprise me - I posted a bit ago that the newest GTX HM specifically says on the bottle that it uses reduced phos. to protect cat cons.

The message that high zinc and phos poison cat cons on vehicles appears to be winning...people with older vehicles that burn oil don't want to be replacing them.

I've never understood why a high mileage oil would seek SN/GF-5 certification. That kind of defeats the purpose of the bloody product. Defy specifically was introduced contrary to the silly trend of having ILSAC rated HM oils. So, we have high mileage oils that aren't thicker than is customary for the grade and have no extra additives beyond what's allowed under the ILSAC regime. So, what's the point?

I don't buy the flirting with the upper limits of phosphorous business, either. A lot of PCMOs these days, including QS and PYB, already flirt with the upper limits of phosphorous. So, what is this now? QSGB with some synthetic base stocks? QSED brought back with the Defy label on it?

But hey, I understand. SOPUS has a real shortage of SN/GF-5 lubes on North American shelves. There are only about three other Quaker State, four Pennzoil, and three Formula Shell ILSAC varieties out there. We don't want to be caught short.

Then you can only conclude it is for marketing reasons.

There must be plenty of vehicles approaching, at or over that magic 75,000 mile point where they become high mileage. And that perception has had marketing investment behind it for some time.

New car market share? Its a High Mileage product.

High Mileage products can certainly be used in new cars, they contain extra detergents, seal conditioners and friction modifiers which can be beneficial to even non high mileage vehicles, sort of like preventative maintenance to use an oil with extra seal conditioners so they may never exhibit these things people see in older cars such as deposits, emissions problems, and poorer gas mileage.

Originally Posted By: Garak
I've never understood why a high mileage oil would seek SN/GF-5 certification. That kind of defeats the purpose of the bloody product. Defy specifically was introduced contrary to the silly trend of having ILSAC rated HM oils. So, we have high mileage oils that aren't thicker than is customary for the grade and have no extra additives beyond what's allowed under the ILSAC regime. So, what's the point?

I don't buy the flirting with the upper limits of phosphorous business, either. A lot of PCMOs these days, including QS and PYB, already flirt with the upper limits of phosphorous. So, what is this now? QSGB with some synthetic base stocks? QSED brought back with the Defy label on it?

But hey, I understand. SOPUS has a real shortage of SN/GF-5 lubes on North American shelves. There are only about three other Quaker State, four Pennzoil, and three Formula Shell ILSAC varieties out there. We don't want to be caught short.

I could not agree more. We are awash in thin for grade resource conserving oils, yet the ongoing trend is to nueter what few hold outs remain.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis

High Mileage products can certainly be used in new cars, they contain extra detergents, seal conditioners and friction modifiers which can be beneficial to even non high mileage vehicles, sort of like preventative maintenance to use an oil with extra seal conditioners so they may never exhibit these things people see in older cars such as deposits, emissions problems, and poorer gas mileage.

Too much seal-swelling in new vehicles with this stuff. Older cars have older oxidized dry brittle seals due to age. Thats why this is a High Mileage product. Simple.

Too much seal-swelling in new vehicles with this stuff. Older cars have older oxidized dry brittle seals due to age. Thats why this is a High Mileage product. Simple.

Not so simple. You call it seal swell, they call it conditioners. They all advise their product is perfectly safe for new cars requiring SN SM / GF4 GF5. It would need to be with those specs.

+1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back