foaming of coolant

Status
Not open for further replies.
Radiator good , no leaks. Car does not overheat. 50/50 mix. does not use coolant. No coolant in oil. If I check the coolant tank when engine is hot I see foaming in the space between coolant and lid. Foaming goes away when cools down. Coolant about 2 years old, the all vehicle green kind. Any ideas as to the possible cause? Oh, car is a 1994 saturn sl2 with over 200,000 miles but runs great with only burning some oil, 1 qt in about 1500 miles, more if I run 70 + mph on short trips.

Time to start looking around, a leak, bad water pump, head gasket, physical damage to the head(s) or block.

What ever it might be, cooling system problems kill engines. Cooling system problems are probably the most common reason your vehicle might fail to proceed one day while you're driving down the road.

Cooling system problems almost always get worse, sometimes in a hurry and if not caught early are very expensive.

I believe coolant brand was Prestone. Looked in garage and have a 1/3 full container left over. With no coolant drop and no coolant in oil that I can tell, My guess is the head gasket is good but it could, I guess, have such a small leak that only air gets into the system. Again no leaks of coolant from radiator or around engine that I can find. Parking after running and let sit for 2 days and no fluid found under car on on engine. I wonder if some of the cleaner I used 2 yrs ago found its way into the system and causing bubbles. I hate to take it in to a mechanic, $$$$$, Maybe add a coolant sealer if I can find one that won't harm waterpump, etc.But you are correct...if the cooling system fails, I can junk the car.

The Prestone all makes stuff is fine, I converted my 99 Taurus to that stuff like 7 years ago and it's way cleaner than it ever was on conventional green with no leaks or issues.

I did have to filter out some stuff with a fuel filter inline with the pressurized overflow tank but it's good stuff. The new formulation that just came out is probably even better.

I just found on u tube there is a "tester" with a fluid that changes color if hydrocarbons are found in the coolant system. Looks like I need to go hunting this weekend since the foaming is probably from the head gasket. Thanks all..... for my thinking out loud.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back