CA Law Requiring 10,000 mile oil chang in gov

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Cristobal
There is a Walmart in Pahrump, Nevada that is going to see a lot of business!

Ha! I have actually been there. Vacationed in Vegas and took a day trip to Death Vally. Stopped in Pahrump.

Don't want to bore everyone with a long story, but the Death Valley experience was eventful, if not outright dangerous. Had to literally carry my wife out in my arms.

Originally Posted By: gfh77665

Ha! I have actually been there. Vacationed in Vegas and took a day trip to Death Vally. Stopped in Pahrump.

Don't want to bore everyone with a long story, but the Death Valley experience was eventful, if not outright dangerous. Had to literally carry my wife out in my arms.

Pahrump is a romantic place. I bet she fainted at the very sight of it.

Originally Posted By: gfh77665

Pahrump is a romantic place. I bet she fainted at the very sight of it.

It used to be.........quaint, in a small town sort of way. It has become just another collection of strip malls.....

Not in Pahrump. In Death Valley. We drove the rental car into it, and went on a six mile hike, and forgot to carry any water. She turned beet red and collapsed. I had to literally carry her part of the way back.

Originally Posted By: stchman
Just have the state of CA use Mobil 1 EP and Mobil 1 oil filters, no problem.

Only when the engine is under "severe service" conditions do you need to use M1 EP. A cheaper conventional dino oil works most of the time. Mobil Super dino can work for 25,000 mile oil changes according to Mobil's tests on their website. I'd say in 80% (guessing) of all the fleet vehicle cases you could just use cheap dino oil. Saves money for fleet operators either way.

Originally Posted By: totegoat
Classic Death Valley faux pas. Glad she survived.

Yep. I got her back to the rental car, took her shirt off, pointed the vents to her and turned the A/C up to max. Drove about 10-15 miles to the convenience store at Furnace Creek. By then she was able to walk again. We went inside and I drank 2 one liter bottles of water immediately. After she got some water down too, we were OK.

two very important issues in this thread have gone unanswered.

1. what part of a six mile hike in death valley with no water seemed like a good idea?

2. did she put her shirt back on when she went into the C-store?

After leaving the fore-mentioned Pahrump, NV, we bought fountain drinks. (We did not have a cooler with us, since we flew into Vegas from TX). Upon entering DV, we stopped at the Ranger Station/Visitors Center. The digital sign outside read 108, it was in late July, BTW. The rangers told her about some terrific photo opps in some canyon. She loves to take photos, so, away we drove, drinking the last of our fountain Cokes. We thought we would find another convenience store somewhere, but we did not.

Having come so far, she definitely wanted to take the photos. We parked somewhere and decided to make the walk into the canyon. About two miles into the walk, she got hot and fatigued. Even after stopping and resting a few minuets she realized she could not go on. She rested is a sliver of shade against a canyon wall, while I walked another mile in taking a bunch of pics for her. After walking the mile back out, I hoped to find her rested and ready to go. She was not. She was worse off, if anything.

With a wife in heat distress, another two miles to hike to the car, and temps now near 110, I was getting concerned. I removed her shirt in the canyon (no one was around), slung her arm across my shoulder and walked her out. She would make 100 to 200 yards at a time, then fall out again, turning beet red. I had "cotton mouth" by then, but I ignored it. After several more stop and go's, she finally went limp. I mustered up strength and carried her the final half mile or so, with several rest stops for me. Approaching the car, I put her shirt back on in case traffic happened to pass by.

Then, I proceed as I detailed above from that point on. Funny thing was I was so thirsty, I chugged the 2 one liter bottles of cold water in about 30 seconds each, then placed the empty bottles down and paid for them at the counter.

Yes, after a good blast of A/C, she recovered enough to put the shirt back on. If she didn't there would have been a news story somewhere. She is really well endowed, LOL.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
I really, really wish that Sacramento would fall into the sea.
Blame the stupid voters.

They used to virtually close DV in the summer. It really is best between Thanksgiving and Xmas.

The rangers will tell you that their most plentiful visitors in July are German and Japanese tourists, who really want to see it at its worst. The fallout rate with German tourists, between the 68 degrees bus and the door of the visitor's center can be impressive, when it is above 120.

Originally Posted By: Falcon_LS
15,000 km (9,375 mi) oil changes with conventional oil meeting ACEA A3/B4 were the norm in Europe some time back, before all the manufacturer specific extended drain specifications surfaced.

Given today's fuel quality, especially in the EU, CA and NY, I reckon 10,000 mile (16,000 km) drain intervals shouldn't be all that hard to achieve - many vehicles calling for synthetics in Europe are now running 30,000 km (18,750 mi) anyway.

+1

As California already have a good quality gasoline with low sulphur, it shouldn't be a big deal to run at least 10k miles OCI.

Around here where I live, 15,000 km is considered the shortest possible OCI for a car. If a new car would have only 10,000 km OCI recommended by the manufacturer, people would laugh at it with disbelief
smile.gif

Also, before I started to read BITOG I had never heard about severe driving conditions, where one should halve the OCI. And I don't know anyone else who would bother to think that kinds of things around here either. It's always the full OCI what the manufacturer recommends and that's it.

But most of us in Finland use synthetic oils. I have my doubts about synthetic blends, and I don't understand why the oil companies produce conventional oils anymore (which are called mineral oils around here, by the way). I think the synthetic oil is the way to go here because: 1) we don't have cheap quick lube shops, 2) labour is expensive, 3) oil is expensive, 4) gasoline is expensive, 5) it's -25C (-13F) or colder each winter and 6) everybody just wants to run the full OCI.

So, 10k mile OCIs with the low sulphur gasoline at the sunny California? It should be a piece of cake! For the rest of the USA with a higher sulphur gasoline? I can understand the 5k mile OCIs.

But luckily it seems that by the year 2025 the whole USA will have low sulphur gasoline, and you can all start to enjoy the carefree 10k+ OCIs! Yay!
grin.gif

http://wot.motortrend.com/1403_epa_looking_to_lower_sulfur_levels_gasoline.html

And finally, please don't get me wrong. I'm not here to judge anyone. I just wanted to give a different view to the subject. Heck, because of the influence of BITOG, I have already dropped my OCI from the manufacturer recommended 15,000 km to 10,000 km and started to use oversized oil filters (just because). Now, how about that!
smile.gif

Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back