Heart problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I was talking to my moms aunt and my aunt on my fathers side had 2 stents put in. Got home from hospital this morning. She did quit smoking a month ago and does drink still. Any of you folks have or had heart problems? I read there may be a link to dental health in relation to heart health.

I think smoking and drinking would be a higher risk factor than dental health related to other factors -- smoking and drinking do cause dental health issues so often these two diseases correlate.

Actually yes there has been a correlation between dental health and cardiac health. Inflammation and blood flow from the mouth leading to inflammation in the cardiac arteries. This is not one hundred percent of all the time. But there does seem to be a link for a good percentage of the general public.

Thanks guys and bbhero for the info
wink.gif

Some women show mild gingivitis when pregnant.

Bacteria from your mouth makes its way through your lungs and blood stream and well as your lymph nodes. Normally it's not a problem but if you have bleeding gums with lots of extra bacteria on top of other complications you might you're going to wish you brushed your teeth more often.

Gingivitis might be the cause and it could also be a symptom.

In other words be careful about kissing someone with bleeding gums.

Neither my wife nor I have any heart (or other health) problems whatsoever. One part of our overall health regimen is our attention to oral health.

In my opinion, since the mouth is the gateway to the rest of the body, it only makes sense that having a mouthful of infected, rotting teeth and diseased gums would cause other health issues. After all, if it's in your mouth you're constantly swallowing it, and I can't imagine constantly swallowing all that nasty stuff that those with poor oral habits do.

There have been some interest in elevated c-reactive protein in cardiovascular disease. I'm not sure if its know whether its a a result of cad or if C-reactive protein is another risk factor. Some physicians have wondered if aspirin is so effective no only as an antiplatelet , but because it also posseses anti-inflammitory effects.

I can say that the number one risk factor i see daily is smoking, as you add the risk factors the age of incidence seems to go down.

The top risk factors are( no in any particular order)

Being male
Smoking
Diabetes
High lipids especially hdl
obesity
genetic family history
hypertension

The more of these you have the more severe and somtimes earlier and age of incidence.

For example the old guy who is 80 upon his first heart attack ( or myocardial infarction as we call it), smokes but has good family history and is not overweight or diabetic.

Then there is the 35 yearold with a heart attack, who smokes, is diabetic and poorly controled, gets no exercise and has high lipid panels , and a family history of Coronary Artery Disease.

2 patients with coronary artery disease and different age of incidents and possible even differences in severity based on compiling risk factors.

Its also possible a coincidence that those who don't take care of the rest of their body, also do not take care of their teeth.
There has been some studies of poor dental hygiene and valvular vegetation.

Most patients that need a valve replacement, if they have really bad gums and teeth, will be recommended if not required to have teeth pulled before surgery.
There are percutaneous valve replacements being done , I will ask if the same dental concerns exist.

Last edited:
So a update. Aunt has another blockage; has to have more tests and then..... Folks, keep her in your prayers please

Thank you all
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: car51
So a update. Aunt has another blockage; has to have more tests and then..... Folks, keep her in your prayers please

Thank you all
wink.gif

Best of luck for a good good result!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back