My transmission shop put in the wrong ATF

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a question for any transmission guys on here. I have a 2006 Toyota Tacoma V6 and it was due to have a transmission service done. I normally perform my own service but I was pressed for time so I took it to a local independent transmission shop to be serviced. The ATF fluid that Toyota requires for this in this transmission is Toyota WS ATF.
I know there are several aftermarket brands that are compatible with Toyota WS ATF but they used Penzoil Multi Vehicle ATF. The spec sheet does NOT list Toyota WS as a suitable fluid application. Here is the spec sheet. http://www.pennzoil.com/wp-content/uploa..._1_11_FINAL.pdf

I've driven a few thousand miles before I noticed the discrepancy, and the transmission is working fine. I have purchased enough Valvoline Maxlife ATF to do an entire system flush and will be changing it out myself this afternoon. It IS Toyota WS compatible. Here is the spec sheet on Valvoline Maxlife ATF. http://www.valvoline.com/pdf/maxlife_atf.pdf

My question is this, do you think any damage may have occurred in a few thousand miles of running the wrong ATF or do you think I'm being too OCD about the whole thing?

Thanks!

Here is what is causing my nervousness. The Pennzoil website specifically says this.
"Not for use in vehicles requiring Type F, DEXRON® -VI, MERCON® SP, Full Synthetic MERCON® , Nissan Matic K, Toyota/Lexus WS, Mercedes Benz 3403-M115, BMW 1375.4, or Volvo 1161540-8. Also not for use for CVT. Check owner’s manual and/or dipstick for exact specification."

http://www.pennzoil.com/other-car-produc...on-fluid/#About

Since WS is considered to be a lower viscosity OF T-IV, you should not be concerned. I am curious though, because you seemed to be concerned about using the correct ATF, yet you don't use the Toyota approved WS FROM YOUR DEALER. Ed

Originally Posted By: Eddie
Since WS is considered to be a lower viscosity OF T-IV, you should not be concerned. I am curious though, because you seemed to be concerned about using the correct ATF, yet you don't use the Toyota approved WS FROM YOUR DEALER. Ed

I normally do but I'm leaving for a road trip to Colorado tomorrow and the nearest dealer is almost 150 miles away.

I think the newer Pennzoil Multi-Vehicle ATF is full synthetic. The spec above is old and it is not reflect the newer MV ATF.

Pep Boys has Pennzoil Full Synthetic Multi-Vehicle ATF for $5.xx/qt, but they have 35% off code for order online pick up in store, makes the final cost less than $4/qt.

I had Pennzoil Full Synthetic Multi-Vehicle ATF in my E430 to replace Shell-134, the shifting is better. I like Pennzoil Full syn ATF better than Maxlife.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
I don't see any issues. Are you sure they didn't use Pennzoil synthetic multi vehicle?

Yes.

Demand a freaking refund on that job if they can't produce real documents saying that is a compatible fluid.

Rediculous. Does ANYBODY do their job correctly these days? I struggle to get a French fry container actually full of fries. It's gotten that bad. When I have a server or painter or mechanic show ANY actual care and accuracy in their job... I let them know I appreciate it and I usually add a healthy tip.

Originally Posted By: Greasymechtech
No damage. Only difference is 1cst viscosity at 100f. Not a big deal in south Texas weather.

I agree.
If the tranny is shifting well I wouldn't sweat it.
I would bring it back after the trip and have them install the correct fluid (free of labor).

Originally Posted By: montero1
I just don't see how a transmission shop doesn't have the right fluid.....

they used a general bulk oil thinking OP wouldn't notice. Tight margins makes cost cutting everywhere appealing to them - though non-ethical and does cause damage in other examples.

Originally Posted By: montero1
I just don't see how a transmission shop doesn't have the right fluid.....

I live in a micro-small South Texas town in the middle of nowhere. The transmission shop is a one bay garage with one mechanic. Think "Goober" from the Andy Griffith Show. Every really good mechanic around here went off to work in the oil fields to make real money.
This is the main reason I do almost all of my own work. I really thought a simple drain and fill could be done without too much heartburn. I guess I was wrong.

Last edited:
It's the same thing if you go to a quick lube, dealer or chain for an oil change. They will use the cheapest generic bulk they can find for the oil change.

Should transmission shops be accountable for higher standards on what fluids they use?

If the majority of the service industry is cutting corners to make a living why should transmission shops be any different?

When I had my Camry, the previous owner took it to a shop and they supposedly did a transmission flush with that same fluid.

When I drained the transmission pan a year later it looked exactly like chocolate milk. It took 4 transmission drain and fills to make it look decent.

Originally Posted By: Eddie

Since the OP lives in the great state of Texas, and Texas does not have cold winter weather, and WS is considered to be a lower viscosity, would it not make sense that the time to be concerned with the present fluid would be when the vehicle is being used in cold winter temperatures, and since the vehicle is in Texas where winter temperatures are not so cold, there would be no concern using the existing fluid as long as the vehicle does not travel to in the winter to states that have a cold winter.

Originally Posted By: mongo161
It's the same thing if you go to a quick lube, dealer or chain for an oil change. They will use the cheapest generic bulk they can find for the oil change.

Should transmission shops be accountable for higher standards on what fluids they use?

If the majority of the service industry is cutting corners to make a living why should transmission shops be any different?

My trusted mechanic uses appropriate ATF for various makes, he stock Honda DW1, Toyota Type-4 and others. For oil he only have name brand quart bottles such as Shell, 76 ... and Mobil 1 for synthetic oil change.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back